Why become a member? ×

help me decide if i should buy this upright bass

Mr. BassmanPT

fully carved, ebony board, adjustable bridge, gig bag, spirocore strings and realist pickup (in need of a repair in the cable). the seller says it bought it brand new 11 years ago and in all this time it never got a repair.

he also says it weight is less than his fender jazz 4 string.

other than that, he includes in the deal a carbon fiber "pivot" for lack of a better word (i never played upright so i am still learning the technical words).

anyway, here you go with 2 videos of this upright in action.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sChmJXSETis&feature=youtu.be[/media]

[url="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1700278155600&set=vb.1497302033&type=3"]https://www.facebook...97302033&type=3[/url]

trip aside (maximum 100 euros), i can buy it for 3000 euros with all the accessories included in the deal. what you think? i am asking because all uprights seem good to me and i do not want to mess this up.

i asked for how much did the upright cost and got this:

- 2750 for the upright brand new
- 130 for the pivot + 80 for mounting it
- 220 for the pickup + 50 for mounting it
- 160 for the strings
- 40 for wheels
- 100 for the bag
- 60 for setup
- TOTAL: 3590 euros

i should also add that the seller seems to be a very nice guy so i am not questining him at all, i am just in need of experienced opinions!

all is subjective but want your opinion anyway!

now pictures! should the fingerboard make a perfect curve? (see the pictures)

Edited by Mr. BassmanPT

The photos are odd. In three of them, there is no adjustable bridge (and in two of these a Realist pickup is fitted). In another photo, there is an adjustable bridge with a Full Circle pickup fitted.

So he's selling you an adjustable bridge with a Realist pickup? Make sure this is the case, because it seems from the photos that he hasn't used a combination of Realist + adjustable bridge.

It's difficult to say if this is good value. For 2000EUR you could get a very good bass from gedo-musik shipped anywhere in Europe and for another 1000EUR you could have any pickup and strings you wanted, plus a bag, etc. And still have lots of change. You could probably buy a good bass guitar with the change.

I would also be surprised if he paid 50EUR to fit a Realist pickup. Anyone can fit a Realist pickup. You just loosen the strings, put it under the foot of the bridge, then tighten the strings again. Done. Does that sound like something you could charge someone 50EUR for?

Edited by thisnameistaken

I got the pictures in two batches, that is why you see the different pickups. So you would buy from another place? They were not taken at the same time.

Let's see my options again?

I did not know that installing a realist would be so easy. I really do not know much about upright and to be honest, I really thought this one to be an awesome deal (being a carved instrument with curved back for only 3000 euros and all the extras included)

Edited by Mr. BassmanPT

[quote name='Mr. BassmanPT' timestamp='1393611824' post='2382623']
...should the fingerboard make a perfect curve? (see the pictures)
[/quote]

[b][quote]My fingerboard has a "flat spot" under the E string. What gives?[/b] You may have seen some bass fingerboards with a sharp rise or beveled edge that runs the entire length of the board, between the A and E string on some basses. It is called the "Romberg Bevel." That shape is a throwback from when big fat E strings crawled the earth -- the bevel gives more clearance for that string to vibrate. With newer string technology, it's no longer a necessity and many luthiers and builders have phased it out. Some folks prefer it, some don't; it's probably just a matter of what you're used to, but no biggie IMHO. - [url="http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/15-FINGERBOARDS_FOR_UPRIGHT_BASS_WHATS_TO_KNOW.html"]http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/15-FINGERBOARDS_FOR_UPRIGHT_BASS_WHATS_TO_KNOW.html[/url][/quote]

If you're new to double bass I'd say try a few things out first, the price seems a bit steep if the bass was 2750 new, I'm not sure a set up and a broken pick up add any value. for £3000 you might find a decent old german bass which would appreciate in value. A while ago bassace was selling his upton and that's a really nice bass, might be worth a PM

If I were starting out again, I'd be happy with a decent quality laminate bass, which could take a knock or two without turning into an Airfix kit. An East European model such as a Boosey & Hawkes or a Stentor. When I sold my laminate I was surprised at how the sound had improved. Nothing to do with the bass, just more practice hours from me. You should be able to pick up something decent for under £1,000 in these impoverished times. Study the basses that have been sold on here, see which models are popular and why. Hire one for a few months, get a teacher and ask their opinion. My wonderful first teacher wouldn't sell me his old bass because it wasn't very good. You may get lucky!

[quote name='Mr. BassmanPT' timestamp='1393683347' post='2383322']
i am back thinking what i should get. this is probably a chinese bass and i would prefer something of quality right from the start.
[/quote]

Chinese basses are not necessarily bad, I just think that unless this bass sounds very good (and maybe it does sound very good) it doesn't look like especially good value. There's a lot of choice these days for 3000EUR and I think it might be a good idea to look at some more options.

[quote name='Mr. BassmanPT' timestamp='1393636944' post='2382967']
I really thought this one to be an awesome deal (being a carved instrument with curved back for only 3000 euros and all the extras included)
[/quote]

I just noticed this post you made.

Just for reference: I bought a bass new that was carved with a swell back for 1000EUR two years ago. The model was usually 2000EUR but mine was discounted, although I still can't work out why mine was so cheap. It's been my main bass ever since.

Don't be swayed too much by the value of a pickup or a set of strings. Strings and pickups are something that you will do a lot of experiments with, and it will cost you a lot of money. That's just the life of a double bass player. I personally don't like the Realist pickup - I have one but it was on my bass for about a week. And I also have a set of spirocore strings I don't use. I have a lot of pickups and strings that I should probably sell. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1393893176' post='2385655']
I just noticed this post you made.

Strings and pickups are something that you will do a lot of experiments with, and it will cost you a lot of money. That's just the life of a double bass player. :)
[/quote]

+1 ...it helps if you can get hold of one of [url="http://www.colourbox.com/preview/4404810-318694-wheelbarrow-full-of-money.jpg"]these[/url] ! :D

Edited by ubassman

[quote name='Mr. BassmanPT' timestamp='1393941461' post='2386060']
Where did you get that curved back upright for that money? The cheapest I found is a gewa laminated for almost 3000 euros new.
[/quote]

I bought my Gewa 2nd hand for £1200, it came with the original receipt for £2850 from 1998 (I think?!) it is fully carved and ebony all round, I've still put on a new and better bridge, strings an set up etc.

For the budget you've got I would be looking for a good second hand bargain, there have been some beaut's for very favourable prices. Your original listing is certainly not worth the money in comparison to what you can get and what second hand values are anyway.

Good luck!

I'd say, if you're new to DB
This bass could be a bit of a risk, for all the points mentioned above

It's difficult to know what is a good instrument and what isn't
if you haven't played much.....
I'd recommend seeking a few out, and giving them a whirl
Not always easy depending on where you live, and how many there are in shops near you

I was very lucky, in that Sarah (above) sold me my lovely Boosey & Hawkes laminate
I was in your position just a short while ago
and I'm so glad I bought my bass

Is there a fellow Basschat member near you, who'd be kind enough to let you have a play of their bass?
Keep your eye on the "for sale" section of this forum
It's a good place to buy from, IMHO

Good luck, and let us know what you decide

Marc

EDIT: There's a bass F/S on this forum at the moment, actually
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/231153-fs-34-laminate-bass-l500/

Worth a look, at least?

Edited by Marc S