Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Books Without Tab

MuddBass

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to create a[b] list of bass guitar (tuition based) books that are printed WITHOUT TAB[/b]. (I'd rather this post not turn into a discussion about how great or not great TAB is though :on_the_quiet: )

Please feel free to add any books that you think are relevant and printed without tab.

Thanks

Greg

• 1 year later...

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Building-Walking-Bass-Lines-Builders/dp/0793542049/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428257339&sr=8-1&keywords=Building+Walking+Bass+Lines+-+Ed+Friedland+%28Hal+Leonard%29"]Building Walking Bass Lines - Ed Friedland (Hal Leonard)[/url]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

The Latin Bass book. By Oscar Stagnaro, pub. Sher Music.

Although not strictly a tuition book it is an amazing resource. Not a tab in sight, 3 CDs full of fantastic backing tracks.
You can either try to play the charts exactly as they are or or just take the feel and play your own thing over the chords.

Edited by cb1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

This is, definitely, a thread of my full interest.

This guy makes some excellent bass transcription books, no tabs. https://www.facebook.com/ByHumanHand/. He has made books of Nathan East, Pino Palladino and Tony Levin. The books are wonderful (I have the Pino Palladino one), hand written (with very clear notation) and I think I remember that the comments are also in English.

I can also recommend the book Chord Studies for Electric Bass, by Joseph Viola. An excellent book too, originally intended for trombon, to the best of my knowledge. It is quite easy to find, also in Amazon.

I also have Bach's cello suites. There are many versions for bass guitar out there, but I think that the original score is just perfect, as long as you have a bass with 24 frets (or, even better, with a high C).

Edit: I just noticed that the thread wants to be about tuition books, therefore the only valid proposal in this post would be the Joseph Viola book. But I will leave there other two, anyway, just in case somebody finds them interesting (hopefully they are).

Edited by cascanicoff

Another book that I can recommend: Slap it!, Funk Studies for the Electric Bass, by Tony Oppenheim. A very good book, starting with the basics, all the way to pretty complicated stuff, in just 30 pages. My two cents for those who want a book about slap and love tabs 💀 as much as I do...

• 4 months later...
On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 17:46, thebigyin said:

Standing in the Shadows of Motown just music notation it's basically the works of James Jamerson 

We'll that's £17 I wasn't expecting to spend this lunchtime. 😀

Should keep me quiet for a while reading the words and for even longer figuring out how to play the dots.

• 1 year later...