Why become a member? ×

Bass tutor in Sheffield required for grade 8 exam.

Hi,

I have been thinking about going for grade 8 in bass for the past three years but never felt confident or even competent enought to go for it. I am looking for a bass tutor who can take me through the process and prepare me for the exam. I am 38 and been playing bass in bands for 20 odd years.

I have both Trinity and RGT grade 8 books so I have worked through some of them.

Many thanks.

Go for it !

Ive been playing nearly 3 years now and having my grade 8 exam next week. Im doing the trinity syllabus as when I purchased the book I thought it was going to be proper transcriptions of real songs. When I looked through it, they were their version of the bass lines on the songs ... It also didn't help that I knew some of the songs in the book already and didn't want to relearn it in a wrong way, if that makes sense?

It does show you where your strengths and the spots you need to improve on.

[quote name='aidanhallbass' timestamp='1393700363' post='2383564']
Thanks! I'm more likely to do the trinity one as I've learnt the majority of the stuff. Good luck with your exam! How long have you prepared for it and have you had a tutor too?
[/quote]

For the exam I've only had 3 weeks preparation (Fell ill last week and didn't pick my bass up). As you can imagine I am practicing everyday and trying to get everything as perfect as I possibly can. I just want to pass.

I originally wanted to take the exam in the Summer so I had more time to finish off my A Level music but they randomly decided to change the dates to next week !

I've done it all mostly myself, working out rhythms is a pain for me so when I do get stuck I input the notes on Logic or Sibelius and hear what it sounds like as well as listening to the demo on the CD given. I'm not too worried about the playback/improvisation part (I'm picking Improv) just hoping they won't give me something dodgy haha !