Why become a member? ×

Software hum!!?? What's that all about?

Bilbo

I have had a problem with my recording set up for years and today had an epiphany in terms of troubleshooting the issue. I have, since I can remember, been hearing a little buzzing hum when I record which I have never been able to locate and address. Tonight, with new leads, new mics, nee everything realised that, if I hook everything up to the computer via mic/lead/pre-amp/lead/audio interface/pc, it is silent as the grave and the signal is good and solid. As soon as I open the Cubase SX software, there is the hum.

Can anyone shed any light on what this may be? It appears whether you are recording or not. Do I need new recording software or will that make no difference?

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1393764702' post='2384068']
What's an o/p, bro?
[/quote]
Output, I guess? Try muting the main output and the channel inputs and see what if anything stops the noise....

BTW what audio interface do you have?

Edited by topo morto

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1393764702' post='2384068']What's an o/p, bro?[/quote]
[quote name='topo morto' timestamp='1393764931' post='2384074']Output, I guess?...[/quote]

Yes, sorry; o/p=output, i/p=input p/up=pickup... One gets lazy too soon. Apologies. :blush:
Any progress, though..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1393704301' post='2383614']
Sounds as though Cubase is opening with an un-used signal source open.
[/quote]
I get this if I use Garageband (which I rarely do, as I don't get on with it). Presumably there is a menu somewhere that can be tweaked to fix this.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1393775054' post='2384186']
Edirol UA-20 audio capture thingumma jiggy.
[/quote]

There's your problem right there - this has been superseded (for exactly the problem you've described) by the Edirol UA-20 audio capture [i]Oojamaflip[/i].

I'd have a look at the input and output (F4 if memory serves) in Cubase. Also look in preferences to see what the default input is. Could be that (by default) Cubase is creating a stereo input and you're only giving it a mono one - causing the 'ground' to go to the second input and giving you a hum.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1394838559' post='2395955']
There's your problem right there - this has been superseded (for exactly the problem you've described) by the Edirol UA-20 audio capture [i]Oojamaflip[/i].
[/quote]

[size=4]Although I believe there was a way around it using a [color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Behringer Hum Destroyer HD400.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be honest you are better off just getting a new Audio interface for what they cost these days.[/font][/color][/size]

• 2 months later...

go to devices and then VST connections (I think) and it'll say which input on the soundcard is going to which input in Cubase, but if it's just a stereo interface it'll have one stereo input by default, left being 1 and right being 2.

when you add a mono channel to record, set the input to the right one and you're done

• 9 months later...

Nailed it at last. It was a hardware fault not a software one. I won't waste anyone's time with details but it was essentially a gain thing. My monitoring signal chain had three gains in it (pc, audio interface and headphone amp). By setting these up properly, I increased the originating signal so was able to turn it down through the others and bobs your uncle. Very happy bunny!

As for my Rode NT1A, I think it's a deader. I recorded using an SM58 tonight and it worked better than the Rode ever did!!

• 2 weeks later...