Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* FS: 3/4 Laminate Bass - £500
£500

This was my first double bass, It's a 3/4 laminate. The label inside says it was made in Germany by Wilhelm Eberle, which points to it being a '60s Musima factory bass.

It's had the neck broken at some point in its past like most basses this age, but that was before I owned it (I've had it for three years) and the neck repair certainly seems secure if a bit ugly. According to the previous owner the repair was done by John Scheerer's in Leeds, which my local luthier described as 'enterprising of them'! There's also a small ding in one of the ribs where the laminate has been caved in. Again it's been there since I've owned the bass and hasn't been a problem. I've included a photo of it.

The strings have a 105cm speaking length which is the same as my other 3/4 and seems to be fairly standard, and it's fitted with an adjustable bridge with brass screws, it also has brass geared 'Tyrolean'-style tuners. It's currently strung with Cordes Lambert Gut Twin '47 synthetic strings which are designed for a good old-time slapping sound and they're really very good for that, although they give quite a bit more sustain than real gut when played pizz. If you prefer a more all-round string I've got a set of Innovation Honeys I can put on instead, they sound and feel a lot like Spirocore Weichs. I'll also bung in the bow and gig bag that I got with it. Both are very basic but do the job.

Sound wise it's bloody loud, which is why I've been keeping it since I got my other bass - I've been using this one for busking unamplified.

I can't post it so it would have to be collected from me in York, or I can drive it somewhere if it's not too far - PM me and we'll see what we can arrange.

Cannot include the dog in the sale, sorry. I also can't get him to bloody move when I need to take photos.

[attachment=156607:IMG_20140301_140014.jpg]

[attachment=156608:IMG_20140301_140030.jpg]

[attachment=156609:IMG_20140301_140038.jpg]

[attachment=156610:IMG_20140301_140110.jpg]

[attachment=156611:IMG_20140301_140126.jpg]

[attachment=156612:IMG_20140301_140222.jpg]

[attachment=156613:IMG_20140301_140245.jpg]

[attachment=156614:IMG_20140301_140325.jpg]

Edited by thisnameistaken

I have a Musima bass (with ubiquitous neck repair) as my main gigging bass. It's surprisingly resonant for a ply bass and is built like the proverbial brick outhouse. A lovely slim neck makes it a breeze to play, particularly for a beginner.
Great price for a great workhorse bass.

Who will buy my bass. For this week only, I will throw in some free pegs. After this week you will not only not receive any pegs but I will also put a gypsy curse on you, and you will be either barren or financially unfortunate in some vague way.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1394545069' post='2392468']
Four hours?

Wimps!

You could do that on a bicycle ...

;)
[/quote]
Its not the four hours, its the time to fit in the four hours! I'll be in Bristol next week, USA the week after, Czech the week after that (and I will be trying to check out some DB's whilst there)
[quote name='Jezyorkshire' timestamp='1394552426' post='2392586']
HI legion, you gonna get back into Double Bass, just got myself another after 2 year layoff due to domestic issues lol, hope your well mate
[/quote]
Hi Jez, all good here thanks. All being well yes, I'd love to get back to the DB. If I can find something nice in my price range