Why become a member? ×

1976 Ibanez SG (2394) with OHSC -= PRICE DROP £400=-
£500

Lovely example of a mid 70s MIJ Ibanez SG in an extremely rare natural finish. The guitar has all original pickups and hardware (including the fabled Super-70s pickups) and comes with its original hard case, also in excellent condition.
Available for an extra £35 is a Gator SG case that I found more reassuring for carrying the guitar in day-to-day (not pictured).

[attachment=156657:standing.png][attachment=156658:headstock.png][attachment=156660:serial.png]

I bought this guitar in 2008 from Chuck Evans, who's a great guy and a regular poster over on the Ibanez Collectors World forum, and had it shipped over from the USA.

It had an area of unstable finish damage to the edge directly below the volume and tone knobs which I had professionally repaired by Andy Farrell with receipts for the work and the set-up and fret dress I also had done provided.

[attachment=156662:wear.png]

Condition-wise the guitar is in fantastic nick, i've tried to highlight any areas in the photos but here's a brief rundown of the few bits of wear this guitar has picked up over its 38 years.

The lower “horn” has a hairline crack in it, I've had this looked at and the feeling was that it's stable and not in danger of getting worse so any remedial work would be an optional aesthetic decision. I find these thick clearcoats tend to make knocks look a lot worse due to the way the light refracts through the finish and i've been more than happy to live with it.

There are 2 very small dings on the front surface, I had to get the window to reflect in the surface to get them to show on the photos, the one by the bridge was there when I got it, the other was the result of a plug socket on about 4 inches of cable flopping over and tapping the body. I was gutted for about a week. There are also some minor surface scratches to the front and back but these are only visible in bright sunlight with the guitar angled to get the light just right.

There is also a small knock on the back of the neck where it joins the headstock, again, fairly insignificant.

[attachment=156661:neck.png]

The frets have been dressed so have lost a little of their original height but are in great condition with no wear and plenty of meat left in them, I think you'd be able to get another fairly drastic dress out of them before you're moving into fretless-wonder territory, which would probably be a laugh in itself.

It's a great guitar to play, the pickups are glorious and the neck is swift, it also looks fit as a butchers dog, which never hurts, miles better looking than the usual maroon ones that pop up most of the time on fleabay. The reputation these 70s Japanese guitars have is well-known and well-earned, and much as it loathes me to sell it, it just isn't getting played enough now i'm bassing full-time again so it's time to let it move on.

[attachment=156659:incase.png]

I'm based in Derby so i'd prefer a pickup or a handover rather than putting it in the hands of a courier, although if it's a deal-breaker we can work something out.

I'm not looking for any trades just now, cheers!

Edited by yondergo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've done the fairly rudimentary bathroom scales weigh-in and it comes to around 2.9 - 3 kg.
Neck profile is a bit harder to judge given the subjectivity and variety out there but to me it feels a slight bit chunkier than my old Epiphone G400 but not as wide, and a bit less beefy than my mate's 2000's gibbo SG. That's just my feeling from memory though.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of days ago Chuck Evans was on the Vintage Japanese Guitars FB group bemoaning the fact he'd sold this!

Naturally I posted a link to the sale - not sure if you'd be up for posting it back to the States, though... :D

GLWTS - really not sure why it's still here!

Jon.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...