Why become a member? ×

fishman pro platt into effects return markbass

Jezyorkshire

Did my first gig after 2 year lay off last thursday, used pro platt into effects return of my markbass combo, had the amp runnin almost flat out, levels on fishman were high, sound was adequate but not good, have had a mess today and found that runnin into front input on amp with same settins on fishman gets a lot more volume and it possibly sounds better, will have to check that on next playing opportunity, ideally would like something like a PJB superflightcase but my markbass will have to do for now.

Edited by Jezyorkshire

Agreed with Bilbo, I have used a Fishman PlatPro into the front of a MiniCMD121P combo in the past very successfully. Happen to have a Headway EDB2 preamp these days, rather than PlatPro, but there's not a lot in it (more knobs on the Headway for greater feedback control)

Funnily enough, I used to do that but progressed to running the fishman into the front input of my little Mark head, and now to running direct into the front input without the fishman. Anyone know if this is legit? Sounds alright to my ears. I use a shadow nanoflex pickup (under Bridge feet) which has a "preamp" included attached on the afterlength, so I'm not sure of the impedances etc

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1393839641' post='2384751']
Funnily enough, I used to do that but progressed to running the fishman into the front input of my little Mark head, and now to running direct into the front input without the fishman. Anyone know if this is legit? Sounds alright to my ears. I use a shadow nanoflex pickup (under Bridge feet) which has a "preamp" included attached on the afterlength, so I'm not sure of the impedances etc
[/quote]

That sounds like my experience. After I upgraded my amp (from a Roland Cube to a GK MB150) I found that I preferred the sound going directly into the amp. I've tried with both a Bass Max and Rev Solo 2 pickups and I find that the Plat Pro colours the sound too much, whereas the direct approach sounds more natural to my ears. I always bring the Plat Pro with me though in case the room in question doesn't agree with my setup and I need extra tweaking options.

On Friday, I just used an fdeck HPF-Pre into the house DI box and a cr@ppy bass combo and it sounded great. The fdeck is a smart little device that buffers, gives you a phase switch (which saved my bacon at the gig as it was feedback city otherwise), and a high-pass filter that takes out boominess. Maybe worth getting hold of one of these as it doesn't have EQ and doesn't colour the sound but it does give feedback/boom fighting properties that your LM amp wouldn't have.

You can't buy an fdeck in the UK but as it happens there is a UK effects manufacturer (4114) that is making me a clone of the pedal for about £70 (I have a BC thread about this)

I had the same experience. I used to run my plat into the fx loop on my LMII but it's louder and a much better sound if I go in the instrument input. Been running it that way for a couple of years now with no problems.

Dave

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1393842676' post='2384809']
On Friday, I just used an fdeck HPF-Pre into the house DI box and a cr@ppy bass combo and it sounded great. The fdeck is a smart little device that buffers, gives you a phase switch (which saved my bacon at the gig as it was feedback city otherwise), and a high-pass filter that takes out boominess. Maybe worth getting hold of one of these as it doesn't have EQ and doesn't colour the sound but it does give feedback/boom fighting properties that your LM amp wouldn't have.

You can't buy an fdeck in the UK but as it happens there is a UK effects manufacturer (4114) that is making me a clone of the pedal for about £70 (I have a BC thread about this)
[/quote]

Interesting, I do often have to turn down the lows on my amp.....

I think part of my issue is that I understand my amp much better than I understand the PlatPro, so can get a usable sound more easily (although perhaps there's the potential for even more usable with fishman).

Thanks for replies guys, im not entirely convinced that the pro platt doesnt colour the sound, it seems a little "electric", i have used one before when i had my golden strad, my mates got a l r baggs para di thingy that i will try sometime and compare, thanks, Jez

I use a Fishman G2 (same basic idea, less buttons) and run it straight into my amp input.

I've also stuck a piece of tape at the top of it after trying to tweak the volume up on a dark stage and finding it was having no impact.
Subsequent 'tweaks' made it worse and in desperation I slid the volume slider all the way to the top - everything failed at that point.

After some head scratching and muttered curses I realised I was holding the thing upside down... :rolleyes:

Huge +1 on the previous comments and you are right to go with the main input.
One of main thing any DB pre amp will give you is the right impedence buffer for pizo pickup which you are sending into a 'line input' on a bass guitar amp like mark bass. You loose that if you send into the effects return. For me that's the main benift of any DB pre amp and helps shape the tone. I also use the high pass filter to cut extreme low end.

[quote name='Jezyorkshire' timestamp='1393938882' post='2385998']
Thanks Geoff, how do you fing you need to eq the full circle when using pro platt? or other? its seems on my bass to be very midrangy?
[/quote]

Hey Jez. I don't need to eq with my rig. I just use the high pass filter (rarely) on my acoustic image Clarus if it's too boomy. I only use a pre amp on borrowed amps and sometimes need to eq then. I think my set up works well with my bass, but if I changes the strings etc I might need the eq. It's tough as there are so many factors, amp, cab, pre amp, strings, bass, style of playing etc....

[quote name='Jezyorkshire' timestamp='1393938882' post='2385998']
Thanks Geoff, how do you fing you need to eq the full circle when using pro platt? or other? its seems on my bass to be very midrangy?
[/quote]

Have you tried turning the Full Circle a couple of degrees? It does change the sound, although how much may depend on a lot of things.

I go straight in to my EA Doubler and I only ever have to drop the mids a tad, and that's more to do with the Midget cab, i think.

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1394029595' post='2387097']
Have you tried turning the Full Circle a couple of degrees? It does change the sound, although how much may depend on a lot of things.

[/quote]

I bought a Rev Solo 2 from Clarky a couple of months back - it's a lovely sounding pickup but it's incredibly sensitive to how it's seated in the slot. Someone sneezing in the next room is enough to turn it from a nice natural "my bass only louder" sound into a horrible feedback machine. You Full Circle users have it easy :)