Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* RESTORATION project - Fully Carved 3/4 double bass
£225

[size=6]Fully carved 3/4 DB restoration project £225 [/size]

Originally bought on fleabay with the intent of repairing and bringing the bass back into use. We are moving to house from Derbyshire to Cambridge and I have enough issues with storing my other DBs and need to down size. Best laid plans and all that !

I dont know anything about the history of the bass other than it is Gamba shaped and likely to be have been made in Germany, Austria, Hungary region . It certainly is not a modern bass and my feel is that it is maybe 100 or so years old. Nice close and even grain to the top and back, with wooden bouts. The neck is original and the heel is sound (see photos).

It has been stripped by the previous owner and is 'in the white' ready for re-varnishing. The photos show the work needed - all in the grasp of someone with a some fairly basic joinery skills.

Once complete, this will make a fine fully carved all wood double bass and a great little investment project for anyone interested in double bass repairs as a hobby.

[b]Delivery and postage:[/b]
Would have to be collect only I'm afraid as its a bit big to put in the post.

That said, I am based near Bakewell and happy to travel to the outskirts of Sheffield, Manchester, Chesterfield if that helps.

As an alternative I do have a rigid lightweight double bass case and would be happy to pack the bass in that and have it couriered to you (at your cost) and you could have the case for an extra £50.

Edited by ubassman

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1393845383' post='2384854']
I'm very tempted...but really doubting my abilities!
[/quote]

Likewise, but far from doubting my abilities, I'm 100% certain of my lack of them :rolleyes:

[quote name='Jezyorkshire' timestamp='1393857728' post='2385080']
what size bass would this be, and any idea if it would be a d or eflat neck, nust be hard to tell maybe? cheers, Jez
[/quote]

Some info which I hope may be of some use. I have compared the overall length of the nut to the saddle on the bottom edge of the bass with my 3/4 D stop Bryant. The length is identical at 60 inches.

THe D stop on the Bryant is 14.5 inches and on this bass a tad under 15 inches and so I would say its a D stop. Its always possible to fit an extended nut anyway as per below from Ken Smith. :)