Why become a member? ×

Recommended drivers for Orange SP210

Truckstop

Hello all,

Bought TJ's broken SP210 of him and I want to change the drivers. One's broken and I don't really like the idea of possibly mismatching them so I'm going to buy two new ones to install in it and then keep the original for a future project.

So, any ideas anyone? Haven't got a massive budget but still want some semblance of quality! I don't need anything like the 600w the cab is rated; 400-500 will be plenty. Need the cab to be 8ohm so I need 16ohm drivers.

The originals are unbranded but t'internet says Eminence Deltas.

Cheers!

Alex

Seriously, I'd contact Orange about getting an original replacement driver. Anything else is unlikely to work as well due to it's strange design.

Where did you read they are Deltas, is the info reliable?

Edited by dannybuoy

Ha ha I literally just googled 'drivers orange sp210' And a few forums said Deltas. I didn't read the full threads; maybe they are recommended as a good replacement?

Would Orange charge a premium for them? Concerned that they'd just say no because it's a trade secret or something! I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask, I'll fire off an email now.

Cheers

Alex

I thought they were neo, based on a deltalite chassis? Could be wrong. If I'm not then the Deltalite 2510 is the off-the-shelf equivalent and might not be a terrible match for that isobaric cab, it does need a big box in normal circumstances. But it's quite possible Orange are using a custom variant.
I'm afraid the deltalite is very expensive these days (and IMO not worth it)

Orange have been known to replace broken amps out of warranty for free, so it's certainly possible they could do the same with a cab! Even if they charged over the odds, it'd probably still be cheaper to buy one of those than a matched pair of something else.

Original speakers definitely not neo; I think Orange changed to ceramic magnets for the last couple of runs before discontinuing the SP210.

Weight's not really an issue. Because it's such a small box, it's easy to carry and manoeuvre regardless of weight. I did look at the Deltalites but didn't agree with the extra £40 each!!

I've shot off an email to Orange; let's see what happens!

Cheers

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

In case anyone was interested, I got around to sorting this out a couple of months ago.

I bought two Eminence Deltas (350w, 16ohms) for around £105 (including delivery) from BlueAran, fitted them and seem to work perfectly. Sadly ended up misplacing/throwing away the original speakers so couldn't compare them visually to see if they're the same.

Lovely vintage-y tone. It's really bass heavy so I have to cut the bass on the amp a lot so as not to swamp the stage but otherwise quite a distinct and satisfying sounding cab. Boost the mids and the cab reacts well. Not too honky, just plenty of presence and cut.

Hope this helps anyone!

Truckstop

• 2 weeks later...

It would be good to find out what they are for future reference if speaker/s go down cause they work very well in the SP cab.
I,ve got the sp212 and I still get a giggle when I turn up with a little box and a 2 slice toaster and fill the room with lovely big sound.
Has any one changed out these speakers to another type/make and how do they compare ?
Just have to save up and get another as you rarely see these s/h and you can do a deal and get one for near enough the same prices/h.I got mine for 400 squid brand new in the box,still got the box.I,m not throwing out a box that cost that much.