Why become a member? ×

Strange Buzzing that I can't seem to isolate

kendall

Hi there - just wondering if someone can give me some ideas on how to resolve an issue I have with my bass.

I have set up the bass, the neck is straight (slight bow) and all the strings are buzz free when I play individual notes on them up and down the neck.

However, when I hold down the 10th fret on the G string and the 12th fret on the D string and play each note individualy, I am getting a buzz from somewhere. I have tried playing each note on its own and there is no issue. I've checked my technique etc. and yet it still has this rogue metallic buzz.

I've checked the frets for uneveness and they are fine......I've tried raising the strings to higher than I prefer and yet it's still there....

I'm at a bit of a loss now....

Any thoughts gratefully received as I'm out of ideas.

Edited by kendall

What happens if you sound the same notes on the D (15th fret) and the A (17th fret). Still the same buzz? If so then something is vibrating in resonance with the beat frequency note created by the two notes sounding together. I think (please correct me if I'm wrong anybody) that the frequencies of these two notes (F3 @174.6Hz and D3 @146.8Hz) are 27.8Hz apart which is the same as a low A (A0).

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1394110456' post='2388002']
is it one of the strings vibrating on the frets BEHIND the point of fretting? You may be damping the unplayed string less if you are fretting 2 strings
[/quote]

We have a winner! A minor tweak on truss rod and all is good. Three days later and it's playing great.

Thanks