Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MiBass & Mi12 - new rig day

The Dark Lord

Just bought a couple of Ashdown Mi12 cabs from someone on here lately and will be giving them a run at a two hour gig in Horsham tomorrow.

I haven't had the chance to play my existing MiBass 550 through them yet, but they certainly look good and proper standing in the foyer of the torture chambers there.

I have previously played the MiBass 550 through an old 1x15 cab from other maker. It sounded awesome and with plenty of volume .... despite only using it with one 8 Ohm cab. Two of these cabs with this little thing giving me an effective 4 Ohm load should be interesting,

I've used a lot of Ashdown amps before, but never Ashdown speakers. I don't know where the cabs are made (I'm guessing in the Far East somewhere). However, they seem to be really well screwed together. I moved from the other brand of cab as I liked the sound, but was unhappy with the build quality. No problems with that here. They seem top notch. Nice sturdy handle and a good solid feel. Each one is a touch heavier than the other brand but not overly so. There seems to be no skimping on materials - for example, the speaker grill isn't flimsy. It looks sturdy and good quality.

Will give 'em spin at the weekend and see if I can get a mini video review - they look promising.

Nice one, I was considering those Mi12s myself, and also looking at the MiBass 550. Saw a Youtube clip of the MiBass 220 and the sound was awesome. Proper "full" review of this stack required after gigs please.

I've recently bought myself a MiBass 2.0 and 2 x Mi10 Cabs and I'm suitably impressed!
The little 10" cabs need to be worked a bit to get a nice thick low end but it's all there.
Although I'm not gigging, or even playing all that much right now, I'll get to try it with a tame band at the Moffat Bass Bash a week on Sunday.
On the whole I'm enormously pleased so far.

Enjoy your new rig mate!

Eude

• 5 weeks later...

Quick update.
This little rig is amazing.
Had a little trouble at the start, dutifully repaired by the good guys at Ashdown, and now its just perfect.
It actually sounds pretty good with my ACG Skelf (Prototype) Guitar too, the distortion you can dial in with the gain knob sounds very nice with it.

[attachment=159632:MiBass_Rig.jpg]

(one very happy) Eude

• 1 year later...

Someone near to me has advertised an Ashdown MIBass 220. It seems amazing that an amp that could fit into a gigbag pocket could be good, and loud enough. I'm not sure I'm going to buy it right now, but it has opened my eyes to possibilities. Personally I'm not convinced by valves over transistors, and would prefer something reasonably transparent, where i could use GEQ, compressor, and amp sim to get various sounds.