Why become a member? ×

slappin/tapping

TLBX

Hey - yes - I saw Doug do a clinic years ago and he explained it pretty clearly. Basically it sounds more complicated than it is because he does it so fast - but the technique is he plays an upward pluck with the side of this thumb - try literally pulling the string away from the bass with the side of your thumb that's nearest the bass. Then he follows this with a downward tap onto the same string - essentially this is the same as if you were slapping the string with your thumb, except it's obviously with your finger.

He mutes everything with his left hand so if you flatten your fretting hand against the strings then practice pulling up with your thumb and then hitting down with your finger then you can just try getting quarter, eighth and 16th notes going - he does some fast triplets too - starting with the finger, then thumb and then finger - then a final upward pluck with your thumb.

He also 'slaps' the strings with his finger - the advantage of this is he can slap several strings at once which is great for chords - you can slap a lower string then follow it with a slap on two upper strings - so bar a G minor chord and try hitting the low notes followed by the octave and minor third above - obviously try this in a rhythimc way to create a groove etc.

I hope that outlines things - sorry this video has some sale-pitch type stuff at the start but he actually does quite a lot of this stuff in there:

http://www.youtu.be/aKcBs5WEAqI

Edited by urb

Cheers mate. Fairplay with the description he does a lot of the triplet stuff. I kinda got a handle of the chord slapping stuff and mess around with some effects and try to get his groove ideas. I guess its then a matter if making it musical which he does so easily.
Always loved Living Colour from the get go but when he joined up I tried so long to cope his stuff in Stain.
Just getting back into Tackhead now we have YouTube.
Nice1 talk t ya mate.

Yeah been a fan of his stuff since Stain and went back from there. Amazing all the stuff he's played on tunes I knew but never knew it was him.
I found the Tackhead stuff hard to listen to at the time but watching them now on the Utube they're really a band to see live doubt they'll ever come to Dublin.
Myself and a buddy did get to meet Doug at a music expo here after Andy taped his clinic on an old recordable walkman I still have a copy the cassette around here somewhere.
I remember asking him how he does "that double kick drum thing", which is why I posted this in the 1st place as I just could not remember what he said as I was only a young fella and Dougstruck! But he did say something like Hey man its just a thumb and finger pop done real quick. Something like that.
Anyhow, nice chatting mate.
Brian