Why become a member? ×

Upright in a splitter van

bassfunk

Hi guys

I'm after a bit of advice re. Taking an upright in a splitter van.

My band are travelling to France to play a couple of gigs next week. It's The first time I've taken an upright in anything but my car. We're not taking Backline or drums. Just a couple of guitars, luggage and the bass.

First of all I'm going to buy a new soft case. I currently have the one I got free with my Antoni, this has zero padding. Any suggestions for an OK case on a budget? Are the Hidersine cases any good? Should I stump up a bit extra for a tom and will or similar?

Second bit of advice is how to store the thing in the load? It a long wheel bass splitter with not a lot else in the back. Should I try and strap it upright? Use bungees? Should I get one of those soundpost tool thingies just in case?

Anything else I should think about?

Thanks in advance

Pete

Careful how you pack things. The drummer slammed the door of our hired splitter van with my bass closest to the door. It snapped the G string but luckily didn't damage the bridge. This was prior to a gig in Sheffield but luckily I had my bass guitar. I think a bog standard gig bag is ok so long as nobody in the band is a fool ;)

My band is made up of fools! We're doomed. I think I'll take the stagg as a backup. I also have spare strings. I've worked as a Backline tech before so I have a small tool kit in my amp bag. There is an upright player in the main band on Friday and it's a blues fest so I guess in an emergency I can beg, steal or borrow something.

I'm quite happy with a soft cover when I take my bass in the car but always used a hard case when the gear went in a van. Past tense because I don't travel so much these days. If you use a soft case in a van I'd recommend travelling the bass flat on top of all the other stuff and padding/bungeeing where necessary.

I think I'm going to try and put luggage and guitar stuff on the bunk space in the splitter and have the upright in the back on its own. I can't afford a hard case, and need a new soft case as my current one is falling apart. Would people recommend the bass travel on its back or side?

I have Christopher bag like this one:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/concord_pv502_kontrabasstasche_34.htm

It has lots of padding where it counts!

When my bass goes in the van, I just make sure that I'm the one who puts it in there - I just don't trust anyone else to do it properly. If there's loads of gear in the van, then the bass goes on its back (making sure its not resting on the scroll/neck), on top of everything else so that nothing can fall on top of it. If there's just a couple of guitars in the back, then it goes on its side with the bridge facing away from the side door. I usually pack coats/sleeping bags around the more vunerable areas if I can.

The golden rule is that only you load and unload your bass...

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1394539146' post='2392356']
I have Christopher bag like this one:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/concord_pv502_kontrabasstasche_34.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...sstasche_34.htm[/url]

It has lots of padding where it counts!

[/quote]

Seconded on that case - got one as christmas present and really like it. Good price and well padded.

I don't have any specific advice except be overly careful when putting your bass in a van. Be so careful people think you're being a bit funny about it, you can never be too careful. I've had some damage in the past after someone else was tasked with transporting my bass to a gig with the rest of the gear. Never again. Luckily fingerboards aren't too hard to glue back on, but it could easily have been the neck/scroll or even (as I've also had, let's say no more on that) through the ribs/top.

I always put my bass on its side leaning at about 45 degrees for 3 reasons:-

1/. If the bass is laid flat on its back , the angle of the neck means that the scroll comes into contact with the ground. This puts stress on the heel of the neck where it joins the body - not great every time the van hits a pot hole! On its side there is no issue.

2/. On its side the bass takes up less room and so theres less likelihood that something will get put down on top of the bridge ...like the drummers stool.

3/. If the bridge is facing the downwards towards the outside of the van and the back is facing into the centre of van then the most vulnerable part is protected.

Works for me anyway!

Edited by ubassman