Why become a member? ×

Herts Bash 2014 - Sunday 6th July

TheGreek

As part of this day I'd like to do a blind test of, say, Precision basses - everything from your £99 bass models to your hyper models and see if people really can tell the difference.

If you own a P bass, irrespective of the brand/cost please bring it along..

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1397649208' post='2425994']
As part of this day I'd like to do a blind test of, say, Precision basses - everything from your £99 bass models to your hyper models and see if people really can tell the difference.

[/quote]

What catagory would you like to put my Fender MIM P bass, with 1/4lbs, BA2 bridge and Shuker neck? :P

What I'd like to do is list all the P Basses on a prepared sheet of paper, for them to be played (preferably all by the same person to take that out of the equation) and see how many people can actually "guess" correctly which is which.

Hopefully will fuel the debate whether it is actually worth spending mega bucks on gear or whether your less expensive models can do the same job at a reduced cost...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1397649789' post='2426004']
What I'd like to do is list all the P Basses on a prepared sheet of paper, for them to be played (preferably all by the same person to take that out of the equation) and see how many people can actually "guess" correctly which is which.

Hopefully will fuel the debate whether it is actually worth spending mega bucks on gear or whether your less expensive models can do the same job at a reduced cost...
[/quote]

The choice of amp/cab could be quite important as you want something quite full range to be able to tell the difference. Happy to lend my Hartke Kilo for the amp if you want? My Berg cab is quite coloured sounding though

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1397650733' post='2426024']
not hard to tell which is which by looking at which is being played, is it?
[/quote]

Wouldn't be a "blind test" then would it??? We'd obviously have to have whoever's playing behind a screen....

EDIT: Sylvia beat me too it..

Edited by TheGreek

I think we'll need to create a list of criteria we can test against - pretty sure most people will be able to differentiate between a pick and fingers though. Whether they can differentiate between each brand and model played with pick/fingers may be a different matter..

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1397653997' post='2426088']
I think we'll need to create a list of criteria we can test against - pretty sure most people will be able to differentiate between a pick and fingers though. Whether they can differentiate between each brand and model played with pick/fingers may be a different matter..
[/quote]

Yeah I meant more of a this is bass A being played with fingers *plays riff* and now with pick *plays riff*... can you guess what bass it is. Kinda way :)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1397650360' post='2426015']
As Sylvia suggested - same rig, same player, same settings - I'm hoping that Lozz will run this for us - after all I think he once had a P Bass (irony intended).
[/quote]

I may have, but it may also have been a vicious rumour :lol:

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1397649208' post='2425994']

[/quote]

Sounds like a plan!