Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

For your budget, get on a train to Yorkshire and buy thisnameistaken's ply bass (FS on the forum for £500 including decent gut-alike strings which would suit your needs - bear in mind decent strings are normally uber-expensive extras if you are not happy with the budget steels that will normally be on a cheap bass). In one day, you will spend less than on a Thomann bass and have a usable, loud gigworthy bass with dings (so you won't be precious about it) and good strings. Sorted!

link here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/231153-fs-34-laminate-bass-l500/page__pid__2392192#entry2392192"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/231153-fs-34-laminate-bass-l500/page__pid__2392192#entry2392192[/url]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1394545449' post='2392478']
I did see that- the price is really good, but it is a nine or ten hour round trip and over £100 in train fares or fuel.

Not a small consideration, but it is back on the radar now! :)
[/quote]

Have a weekend away, York is a lovely place! I already have a cheap ply bass. But if I had the cash I'd buy that one as a backup!

You could always see if people can do an upright relay :D Or if he'll pack it and you can arrange a courier through Shiply or Anyvan?

Hey mate another convert :yarr:
i got my bass of this forum, there is also ....scumtree if your lucky to find one on there.
Try [url="http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/list/3565/other-string-instruments.html?keyword=double%20bass"]Preloved.co.uk[/url] or [url="https://www.musicalchairs.info/double-bass/sales"]musicalchairs.[/url]
as your in a more civilised area compared to North East Scotland you might even find a rental to use until you can buy.

have fun

I agree the second hand one off the forum is probably your best bet. If you decide to buy new though I recommend the gedo. I've got one of their cheapest models and play pop/rnr in pubs and it's been brilliant. In addition to the purchase cost i spent £80 on better strings and £30 getting it properly set up (Bridge reshaped and soundpost moved). The sound isn't complex but it's a full tone that works well in a band. It's been dragged to 2 gigs a week, slapped for hours, sometimes whilst standing on it, and not a scratch so far.

I recommend taking Clarky's advise.

You are about to embark on a fantastic and fun journey playing the double bass. What you need to avoid is buying a cheap new instrument, which will be poorly set up and instantly loose lots of value - Even if you spend a little more and get a good Stentor Student model at around £1500, there will be more to spend in setup and more to loose if you don't get on with it.

Besides, I know [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"] thisnameistaken, in fact I think I found him that bass!! He is something of a perfectionist when it comes to Bass setups, and this bass has been through the workshop of Chapel Allerton stings (and excellent luthier in Leeds), and sounded great last time I heard it. [/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] It previously belonged to the fantastic Paul Baxter (Eyes Tight Shut) -[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Ready to go, no mucking about and a steel at £500 - the price you'll probably get when / if you move to another instrument[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]No I'm not on commission! Would hate to see a new upright player spend more than needed to get up and running.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Good luck :)[/font][/color]

[quote name='Owencf' timestamp='1394561736' post='2392768']
as your in a more civilised area compared to North East Scotland

[/quote]
Not sure that's the case...
However, I agree with the above: you should get that ply as it's great for the money.

A lot of people on here seem to recommend either Thomann, or Geddo
A short while back, I was in a similar situation to yourself

I wanted a DB, but there just seem to be none locally to me
either new or Secondhand

Fortunately for me, I was offered my lovely DB, by fellow BC'er Sarah
Who let me come & try the bass first, didn't live too far away
... and even made me a cuppa

One problem about buying a DB secondhand, is that you don't really know its' history
And as you point out, you don't have any guarantees...
However, everyone I've now dealt with on this forum has been great....

I don't personally know [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]thisnameistaken, or any of his friends
but it does seem to me, that buying from a fellow BC'er is a safer bet than buying from a stranger,
say on ebay, or another site like Gumtree....
The fact that this one has already been set up, by an experienced player is a real bonus

Another BC'er recently said that he'd bought a cheap-ish bass a short while back
and the sound he got from that was good, and had improved
But it had only improved because he was playing it
and the sure-fire way of improving the sound & playing was to get stuck in,
and not dither about whether to spend £500, or hang on until he had saved £2000

Keep your eyes peeled for other 2nd hand DB's on here too,
but in your position, I'd really be considering [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]thisnameistaken's bass[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've not looked back since buying my DB
- even if my playing isn't brilliant - I just love it :)

Welcome to the world of DB
And please let us know what you decide....
Best of luck in starting your new, exciting adventure

Marc[/font][/color]

If memory serves, the Thomann 11 basses are all laminate basses made in Romania at the Hora factory, the Thomann 1 basses are laminates made in the Strunal factory in the Czech Republic and the 111 basses are laminates made in China (don't know which factory though....)

Not sure how much you want to spend but I'd check out the Stentor Student 1950

I got a used one on the strength of this vid by bass chatter Hughbrad.

I've got other more valuable double basses but this is easy to transport, fun to play ands sounds great acoustic or amplified with a Bassmax.

http://youtu.be/4DFlTWfYF1A

I'm still curious if anyone has any experience with this slim double bass, as I would imagine it would be less loud for practice at home, but good enough when amplified at gigs?
[Quote]is this 'slim' instrument just designed for amplified playing, with little chance of a decent acoustic sound? Seems obvious really, and I don't want to limit myself to getting used to an unsually shaped bass. But still, the price is alright! http://www.thomann.d...ss_europe_1.htm[/quote]

Yes, I'd like to hear from anyone who has played one of those slim DB's
They do look like they'd be a bit easier to transport about the place...
... what with me not getting any younger! ;)

But what is the sound like, when amplified?

Hi again Jus Lukin,

Trawling ebay today, I saw this & thought of you (ooo err, how does that sound?)

A bit closer to home for you too, I think?
Worth a look anyhow.....

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-4-Size-Double-Bass/281287472309?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.RVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20646%26meid%3D5596220338518405725%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D9210%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D291100574785"]http://www.ebay.co.u...%3D291100574785[/url]

Cheers

Marc

EDIT: Looks like it's one of those G4M models
Not everyone is a fan - but it might be a starting point
... and a few people who have them do like them...

Edited by Marc S