Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a good Gig-Bag

michinho

In the same position as OP, have an m80 and some other less fancy and crucially lighter bags.
If the case/bass is never out of sight, and in my hands or on my shoulder, I'll always take the lighter bag.
If I'm leaving the bass in our shared rehearsal space I'd use the m80.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394731938' post='2394586']
I've got a Protection Racket 7051 semi-rigid case which I like very much.
But I haven't used it on public transport, so couldn't advise you on that.
[/quote]

This is a great case and also the cheapest of the high end gig bags. Very good protection, you could put your bass in this and chuck it down the stairs and not worry!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1397649717' post='2426002']
This is a great case and also the cheapest of the high end gig bags. Very good protection, you could put your bass in this and chuck it down the stairs and not worry!
[/quote]

It does instil confidence and represents truly excellent value for money. Don't know about chucking it down the stairs, though...
I'd probably carry it down, as usual... just to be on the safe side... :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394731938' post='2394586']
I've got a Protection Racket 7051 semi-rigid case which I like very much.
But I haven't used it on public transport, so couldn't advise you on that.
[/quote]

+1 I have one of these, and although it's not light and is relatively bulky, I can't imagine many "gig bags" offering better protection.

I've walked 3 miles with it on my back, carrying a P-bass, Little Mark 3 (which fits in the big pocket) and leads/tuner etc. I wouldn't want to do that every day, but provided you've had a couple of beers it's perfectly fine :D[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1397650574' post='2426021']
+1 I have one of these, and although it's not light and is relatively bulky, I can't imagine many "gig bags" offering better protection.
I've walked 3 miles with it on my back, carrying a P-bass, Little Mark 3 (which fits in the big pocket) and leads/tuner etc. I wouldn't want to do that every day, but provided you've had a couple of beers it's perfectly fine :D
[/quote]

It's a well-known fact that you can carry stuff further when you're pissed. :) The front pockets are huge, I've easily got room for my GK Fusion, mains lead, speaker lead, instrument lead, strap, Zoom H1, tripod, bass stand, torch, batteries AND two tins of beer. This without making the case strain or bulge in any way. The zips, stitching and handles are all top-quality, too. I fail to see how PR can make a profit on it, frankly.

Edited by discreet

• 4 weeks later...

Mcnach, thanks for the comprehensive look at the F1! It looks like an amazing bag, and I think it might be just what I'm looking for. I've got a couple of questions about it for you or anyone else who has one.

Firstly, how is the hip belt for carrying it long distances? I'd love to have a bag that can transfer some of that weight off my shoulders, and I haven't seen anything like it since incase stopped making their bass bag.

Secondly, you mentioned that the pocket could probably fit a Shuttle head in it. How about something slightly deeper, like a Tone Hammer 350/500 or even an Acoustic Image Clarus? I know that Fusion have the extra bags that can clip onto the F1, but I'd be interested to know if the inbuilt pockets are big enough on their own.

Thanks!

[quote name='fun size nick' timestamp='1400145600' post='2451100']
Mcnach, thanks for the comprehensive look at the F1! It looks like an amazing bag, and I think it might be just what I'm looking for. I've got a couple of questions about it for you or anyone else who has one.

Firstly, how is the hip belt for carrying it long distances? I'd love to have a bag that can transfer some of that weight off my shoulders, and I haven't seen anything like it since incase stopped making their bass bag.

Secondly, you mentioned that the pocket could probably fit a Shuttle head in it. How about something slightly deeper, like a Tone Hammer 350/500 or even an Acoustic Image Clarus? I know that Fusion have the extra bags that can clip onto the F1, but I'd be interested to know if the inbuilt pockets are big enough on their own.

Thanks!
[/quote]

I think a deeper head would probably be ok, as long as it's not (much) taller. I carry my heads in a separate case, anyway.
The hip belt is good, as on a decent rucksack. I don't normally use it because I don't walk any long distance with it really, but I did test it when I got it and it felt very comfortable with and without the belt on, but clearly the belt makes it a lot nicer to carry, especially if you start stuffing the pockets with things (which is the temptation when you have so much storage space! :))

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1400149849' post='2451170']
I think a deeper head would probably be ok, as long as it's not (much) taller. I carry my heads in a separate case, anyway.
The hip belt is good, as on a decent rucksack. I don't normally use it because I don't walk any long distance with it really, but I did test it when I got it and it felt very comfortable with and without the belt on, but clearly the belt makes it a lot nicer to carry, especially if you start stuffing the pockets with things (which is the temptation when you have so much storage space! :))
[/quote]

Great to know about the belt! Sorry, I don't think I communicated that question about depth etc very well...I was thinking of pocket 'depth' as in front to back depth (if the gig bag is upright against a wall), and conflated that with what really should be called the 'height' of the amp. So when you say that the head shouldn't be much taller, I assume that that's what you meant - how tall the amp is when it's sitting flat on top of a cabinet. So therefore, you're saying that with the shuttle in there, there's not much room to spare front to back, but there is top to bottom? I hope that makes sense!

• 3 weeks later...

I've used all the bags in the OP except the Sadowsky (and fairly extensively). They all do a decent job. iGiG very bulky and comfort/weight not great - but strong and protective. Mono 80 ok but rides high. Vertigo is slender and lacks versatility - great for Ps. Fusion F1 is light and protective - comfortable (the only bag I have at the moment). Contego - feels a bit heavy but very protective. I'd say Contego or F1 overall.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1397651255' post='2426038']
It's a well-known fact that you can carry stuff further when you're pissed. :) The front pockets are huge, I've easily got room for my GK Fusion, mains lead, speaker lead, instrument lead, strap, Zoom H1, tripod, bass stand, torch, batteries AND two tins of beer. This without making the case strain or bulge in any way. The zips, stitching and handles are all top-quality, too. I fail to see how PR can make a profit on it, frankly.
[/quote]I totally agree about not seeing how Protection Racket make any money on the 7051 gig bag, glad I chose it. I bought a GK MB200 this week and with the amp in the gig bag pocket, gig bag on my back and cab in my hands was able to do one trip from car to gig. A far cry from my valve amp lugging days! Playing in the middle of Brum tomorrow, so ease of load in is vital.
Of the 3 drummers I play with, they all have used Protection Racket cases for years which is what made me choose the 7051.
Martin

Edited by The fasting showman