Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a good Gig-Bag

michinho

Hi there,

Could someone please recommend me a good top of the range hybird gig-bag?

I travel to gigs a lot into central London (I live in South London) so that means I get on a lot of public transport, Buses, Trains, Trams etc. Sometimes this can include a bit of walking too.

I always want to take what Bass I want without having to worry about the safety/protection of it.

So... The main feature of the bag has to be PROTECTION. The bass has to be fully padded from knocks and bangs. Completely Shock proof, because I often find myself getting onto busy trains/buses and walking through crowds etc. I really don't want to get to a gig and find my bass has any dings or scratches!

Another feature i'm concerned about is weatherproof. The case has to be completely durable against any form of rain/wind/heat/snow/mist/heat/cold... you name it! I'd hate to find the inside of the case damp, moist or any form of condensation!

It also has to be reasonably weighted and comfortable to wear on my back, because as stated, I can sometimes find myself doing a bit of walking.

Finally, Height. I'd prefer one that didn't put the top of the neck and headstock of my bass waaaaaay above my head! Like I said I get on a lot of buses so I don't want to be ducking about all over the place! Maybe an adjustable strap height would be good?

Bags i've been looking at/researching:

Mono M80
Mono Vertigo
igig G515
Fusion F1
Protec Contego
Sadowsky Portabag

I have heard different reviews for all these cases but still can't tell which one is the best!

Please, any input would be highly appreciated since I need one fairly soon! have a few gigs coming thick and fast!

Cheers,

Mike

Mono M80 serves me well for getting on and off buses etc... I got the extra little bag (guitar tick?) that attaches to it as well so I can fit a stand / extra few bits and bobs in as well.

Its not too far above my head but I do have to take it off my back when I get on the bus. Only thing thats a bit odd is if your bass doesn't have the bottom strap pin in the middle of the bass the padding doesn't quite work right.

I'm sure there are other options but it works for me.

The Mono one is great for protecting the bass but really, really uncomfortable to wear on your back for more than about 5 minutes.

Personally I wouldn't buy another "high-end" gig bag without trying it on with my bass in first to see how it feels.

Also IMO weight is a significant issue. One of the reasons why I think the Mono bag is less comfortable than it could be is because it's significantly heavier than a standard gig bag, but IIRC it's the lightest of all the semi-rigid bags available!

Edited by BigRedX

If you want a high end bag I can recommend a Harvest gig bag. I have two.
My regular case:[url="http://www.harvest-guitar.com/en/Buffalo-Nubuck-Vintage-Brown.html"]http://www.harvest-guitar.com/en/Buffalo-Nubuck-Vintage-Brown.html[/url]
I took this one with me on a few festivals last year and carried it round all day as I didn't want to leave the bass anywhere. I could sit down eat and drink with it still on my back.

When I need to carry two basses or one bass and overnight stuff:
[url="http://www.harvest-guitar.com/en/Cow-Antique-oxid-8.html"]http://www.harvest-g...que-oxid-8.html[/url]

As both animals who donated their skins were waterproof, i'm sure these are too but I haven't carried them in the rain so don't know how waterproof the zips are.

Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee

Looking at your sig, I'd be looking at the iGig - they take a Jazz bass quite well, and offer a lot of protection. The only downside is that they can be heavy for a gig bag.
The Mono Vertigo is a lighter bag that also offers a lot of protection, but for some reason, offset bodies don't seem to sit in them very well....

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1394733186' post='2394607']
The Mono one is great for protecting the bass but really, really uncomfortable to wear on your back for more than about 5 minutes.

Personally I wouldn't buy another "high-end" gig bag without trying it on with my bass in first to see how it feels.

Also IMO weight is a significant issue. One of the reasons why I think the Mono bag is less comfortable than it could be is because it's significantly heavier than a standard gig bag, but IIRC it's the lightest of all the semi-rigid bags available!
[/quote]

This makes my decision even harder haha! I've heard such good things on the Mono but you're the first person to tell me there is a comfort issue :/

I have a Mono M80 and a Protec Contego.

Like BRX, I find that the Mono is quite uncomfortable after a while, which I think is due to the tops of the shoulder straps being so close together. Everything else is great on it - quality materials and hardware, great protection from both knocks and the elements.

The Protec Contego is much more comfortable to wear, but it is noticeably heavier than the Mono. The materials and hardware don't look as sexy as those on the Mono, but they have proven to be very durable and reliable.

Which is better? Well, the Protec is used every week, and the Mono has been used twice in the last year.

I think that the wearability factor of a gig bag is probably the most important consideration with these hybrid designs, because they are all verging into Hiscox LiteFlite case territory both size and weight. The Mono M80 is only slightly smaller, and some of the other cases I was looking at when I was going through the same process as you, are actually larger if not heavier too!

I'm also not a fan of lots of extra storage space in gig bags (certainly no more than the space to include a strap, a spare set of strings a wireless transmitter, and maybe a note book and a few tools). While it might seem like a good idea, too much space can quickly get filled with all sorts of crap and suddenly you find yourself with a heavy and difficult to manoeuvre lump on your back which is the last thing you want when navigating crowded public transport.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1394743295' post='2394760']
I think that the wearability factor of a gig bag is probably the most important consideration with these hybrid designs, because they are all verging into Hiscox LiteFlite case territory both size and weight. The Mono M80 is only slightly smaller, and some of the other cases I was looking at when I was going through the same process as you, are actually larger if not heavier too!

I'm also not a fan of lots of extra storage space in gig bags (certainly no more than the space to include a strap, a spare set of strings a wireless transmitter, and maybe a note book and a few tools). While it might seem like a good idea, too much space can quickly get filled with all sorts of crap and suddenly you find yourself with a heavy and difficult to manoeuvre lump on your back which is the last thing you want when navigating crowded public transport.
[/quote]

So based on my needs, what would you recommend?

[quote name='Westie9' timestamp='1394769675' post='2395064']
I've got a Protec Contego and I find they appear to offer plenty of protection with three nice useable sized zip pockets. I'd certainly have another if needed...
[/quote]

Would you say that it does well against the elements?

Have you been caught in heavy rain with it?

[quote name='michinho' timestamp='1394759305' post='2395044']
So based on my needs, what would you recommend?
[/quote]

Well bearing in mind that a Hiscox bass case (an industry standard flight case) measures 1230mm long by 390mm wide by 135mm deep and weighs 4.3kg:

The Mono M80 is 1250mm x 420mm x 120mm (not including the front pocket) and weighs 2.6kg

The Mono Vertigo is a slightly different shape to the M80 but has the same maximum dimensions and weight

The iGig G515 is 1270mm x 410mm x 90mm and weighs 3.5kg

The Fusion F1 is 1080mm x 440mm x 130mm and weighs 2.5kg

The Protec Contego is 1245mm x 430mm x 130mm and weighs 3kg

The Sadowsky PortaBag is 1270mm x 430mm x (no depth given) and weighs 3.4kg

None of these bags are particularly small and most aren't very light - especially when you consider that a "traditional" padded gig bag weighs between 1.5 and 2kg.

As I've said previously the big issue when getting a gig bag is comfort when you are wearing it on your back. The only one of these I have first hand experience of is the Mono M80 and that is not at all comfortable to wear on anything but the shortest of journeys. The problem is a combination of the straps being too close together at the top, and the fact that because I'm not very tall (just under 5' 6") the bottom of the case slaps against the backs of my legs when I walk. And this is the compromise. In order for the bag not the stick up too far above the wearer's head the straps are mounted higher on the case which means in order to fit them in the available width, they have to be too close together to be comfortable on the shoulders and at the same time the bottom of the bag is now too low on the body which means that on shorter people it hits that backs of their legs.

Looking at the strap arrangement of the other cases, I would bother at all with the Sadowsky. The way the straps are fitted at the top looks just too painful to even contemplate. The iGig looks much better although there doesn't appear to be any chest of hip straps. There are no photos of the straps on the Protec so I can't comment. Overall the Fusion F1 [i][b]LOOKS[/b][/i] the best with it's reasonably widely spaced straps and hip strap (plus it's not too big or heavy).

However, having bought the MONO and been disappointed about the comfort of wearing it I personally wouldn't buy any of these without trying it on with my bass in it first to see just how comfortable it is going to be to wear and walk with.

HTH.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1394792631' post='2395234']
Well bearing in mind that a Hiscox bass case (an industry standard flight case) measures 1230mm long by 390mm wide by 135mm deep and weighs 4.3kg:

The Mono M80 is 1250mm x 420mm x 120mm (not including the front pocket) and weighs 2.6kg

The Mono Vertigo is a slightly different shape to the M80 but has the same maximum dimensions and weight

The iGig G515 is 1270mm x 410mm x 90mm and weighs 3.5kg

The Fusion F1 is 1080mm x 440mm x 130mm and weighs 2.5kg

The Protec Contego is 1245mm x 430mm x 130mm and weighs 3kg

The Sadowsky PortaBag is 1270mm x 430mm x (no depth given) and weighs 3.4kg

None of these bags are particularly small and most aren't very light - especially when you consider that a "traditional" padded gig bag weighs between 1.5 and 2kg.

As I've said previously the big issue when getting a gig bag is comfort when you are wearing it on your back. The only one of these I have first hand experience of is the Mono M80 and that is not at all comfortable to wear on anything but the shortest of journeys. The problem is a combination of the straps being too close together at the top, and the fact that because I'm not very tall (just under 5' 6") the bottom of the case slaps against the backs of my legs when I walk. And this is the compromise. In order for the bag not the stick up too far above the wearer's head the straps are mounted higher on the case which means in order to fit them in the available width, they have to be too close together to be comfortable on the shoulders and at the same time the bottom of the bag is now too low on the body which means that on shorter people it hits that backs of their legs.

Looking at the strap arrangement of the other cases, I would bother at all with the Sadowsky. The way the straps are fitted at the top looks just too painful to even contemplate. The iGig looks much better although there doesn't appear to be any chest of hip straps. There are no photos of the straps on the Protec so I can't comment. Overall the Fusion F1 [i][b]LOOKS[/b][/i] the best with it's reasonably widely spaced straps and hip strap (plus it's not too big or heavy).

However, having bought the MONO and been disappointed about the comfort of wearing it I personally wouldn't buy any of these without trying it on with my bass in it first to see just how comfortable it is going to be to wear and walk with.

HTH.
[/quote]

I'm 6'3 so it might have a big difference on me in terms of comfort.
I've heard a lot of good things about the Mono.
Another recommendation I've had is the Reunion Blues Continental. Any comments on this one from anyone?

[quote name='michinho' timestamp='1394812625' post='2395543']
Another recommendation I've had is the Reunion Blues Continental. Any comments on this one from anyone?
[/quote]

I'm 6'2 and don't struggle with the mono at all... I walk the mile or so to rehearsal every week no probs... even in the rain.

[quote name='michinho' timestamp='1394812625' post='2395543']
[/quote]

I'd heard lots of good things about the MONO bags too, that along with the weight factor when compared with other similar bags was what led me to buy mine. It would appear that most of the recommendations came from people who were looking at a lightweight alternatives to hard cases rather than people who needed one to carry their bass on their back. Roland Rock isn't as tiny as me and he's also complained about the discomfort when wearing it on his back.

In light of CamdenRob's comment above I would suggest that you make the effort to try one out before parting with your money. It's a lot to spend if you do find that it's not suitable for you.

I use Mono now, having used a leather gig bag previously. It offers great protection, makes the weight of the bass much more manageable and looks fantastic, and it sits at a nice height too rather than swinging around my ankles (I'm only a short to be fair), but like others have said, it does get uncomfortable for a while.

Fortunately my walk down to uni with it is less than 5 minutes, so it's not too bad. That said, I've also walked over 2 miles with it on my back before, and it's been fine. Much better than the previous Warwick bags I've used.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1394813018' post='2395550']
I'm 6'2 and don't struggle with the mono at all... I walk the mile or so to rehearsal every week no probs... even in the rain.
[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1394813332' post='2395553']
I'd heard lots of good things about the MONO bags too, that along with the weight factor when compared with other similar bags was what led me to buy mine. It would appear that most of the recommendations came from people who were looking at a lightweight alternatives to hard cases rather than people who needed one to carry their bass on their back. Roland Rock isn't as tiny as me and he's also complained about the discomfort when wearing it on his back.

In light of CamdenRob's comment above I would suggest that you make the effort to try one out before parting with your money. It's a lot to spend if you do find that it's not suitable for you.
[/quote]
[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1394813640' post='2395557']
I use Mono now, having used a leather gig bag previously. It offers great protection, makes the weight of the bass much more manageable and looks fantastic, and it sits at a nice height too rather than swinging around my ankles (I'm only a short to be fair), but like others have said, it does get uncomfortable for a while.

Fortunately my walk down to uni with it is less than 5 minutes, so it's not too bad. That said, I've also walked over 2 miles with it on my back before, and it's been fine. Much better than the previous Warwick bags I've used.
[/quote]

Hmmmm conflicting reviews about the comfort!

I doubt I will be able to go anywhere to try one out though with my bass!

I have to really on the good people on the internet i'm afraid!

Bah! Ignore all these poncey and expensive boutique gig-bags! Get yourself a Chase for £25!
It'll do everything you need it to! :D

[url="http://www.chasedirect.co.uk/gig-bags-cases/guitar-gig-bags/chase-ccg700b-bass-guitar-gig-bag-25mm-padded"]http://www.chasedire...bag-25mm-padded[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394815200' post='2395578']
Bah! Iignore all these poncey and expensive boutique gig-bags! Get yourself a Chase for £25!
It'll do everything you need it to! :D

[url="http://www.chasedirect.co.uk/gig-bags-cases/guitar-gig-bags/chase-ccg700b-bass-guitar-gig-bag-25mm-padded"]http://www.chasedire...bag-25mm-padded[/url]
[/quote]

Haha!

The case HAS to be a hybrid!

I need the best protection I can get! That's the most important thing for me!

The Mono sounds like it might top the bill there!

[quote name='michinho' timestamp='1394815361' post='2395582']
The Mono sounds like it might top the bill there!
[/quote]

I've often been close to getting one, but as I transport my gear by car I just can't bring myself to spend that much. *Cheapskate* :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu8aMaaR-yY

I have both Mono and Protec bags and marginally prefer the Protec for everyday use. I do have a nasty habit of sticking too much stuff in the nice large pockets though!

My real favourite is the inCase but I have a feeling these are discontinued now. It's the closest thug I've come across to a true hybrid and the only one I might trust to take on a plane.

Mine never leaves the house though because it is heavier than either a Mono or Protec