Why become a member? ×

Wolf Notes

kedo

I've posted a topic previously relative to feedback mostly on the G string (Bb in particular) and have been advised that the [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Fishman Platinum Pro with its phase control would be the answer. I have been told that this isn't strictly feedback but is the Bb coinciding with the resonant frequency of the bass. I have seen gadgets that are attached to the after-strings to reduce the effect of these so called 'wolf notes' and have been advised that it may be something to do with the setup of the instrument. Has anybody got any thoughts on this before I lash out on the Fishman. I have been playing without an equaliser, but even with all the controls on my Markbass 2x 12 flat or completely anti-clockwise, I still get this problem.[/color][/font]

If it is a wolf tone, you'll really notice it acoustically when playing with the bow, and it is likely to happen equally badly (possibly worse) on the same note on the D string. Trying to bow the note, it will be difficult to start and tends towards an ugly sounding warbly beat frequency. If that's the case then a wolf eliminator weight on the afterlengths could help.
My bass has a wolf tone around the B natural, and I found that a weight on the A-string afterlength helped a great deal. I found it worked best when the weight was adjusted so that the bowing the afterlength produced the same note the wolf was centred around.

If you only notice it when amplified it's more likely a standing wave you're generating due to where your cab is positioned relative to reflective surfaces (ie: walls). I'd try just repositioning your cab first, move it a metre or so further from the nearest wall, see if that lessens it. If not, try shifting it away/towards other walls, lifting it off the ground in the case of a hollow stage, etc.

Phase-flipping switches are handy tools to have regardless, but I don't think it will solve this particular problem. If it was the sort of feedback problem a phase flip would fix I'd expect you to have much bigger problems than just on the one note.

If it's a wolf note then take it to a luthier and they can sort out where to either reposition the soundpost (worked for me) or to put on a wolf eliminator.

Mine was a D and really showed when you tried play the harmonic. Try playing the harmonics on the G string with a bow, if any are hard to sound then it's probably a wolf note.

Steve

I had a similar problem playing an A on the G-string, only really a problem amplified (I don't bow) and despite having a fishman and experimenting with the phase button. I bought one of these wolf note eliminators, experimented by moving it to different positions between the tailpiece and bridge, and in no time at all, my wolf note was eliminated, exactly as is says on the tin.

http://omegamusic.co.uk/buy/wolf-be-gone-wolf-note-eliminator-and-cello-for-double-bass?gclid=CLWeiofNkL0CFYWWtAodCmcAig

(Other makes and vendors are available)

Ewan