Why become a member? ×

Markbass CMD 121p and alternatives.

jonsparrow91

Hey ho, I don;t venture out of the marketplace often but here goes anyway.

This Summer, or hopefully sooner, I want to get into gigging again. The problem is my lack of amp and lack of transport. I've no interest in driving so I'm looking for a powerful and lightweight combo that sounds good. Obviously I have a spacious bidget planned for this holy grail of combos, around £800.

The combo that I've run into again and again is the Markbass CMD 121p which seems to be the popular choice for this situation. I like it, it looks good, it's light and it sounds great from the xlr. However, I hate to plunge ahead without reviewing the options and gathering a few more opinions.

So, re: the Markbass:
1. Does the small cab size make it sound boxy and thin?
2. Is it hand portable, in your opinion?
3. Though the official website strictly prohibits it, is it possible to replace the amplifier with a different model?
4. Is 12" really enough speaker coverage to play with a drummer?

I've also come across a few other lightweight amps but I haven't found nearly as much written about them:
Ibanez Promethean 1x10
TecAmp 1x10
Phil Jones 4x5 (I'm particularly interested in this one but particularly wary about 5" speakers.)

Buying one second hand would seem like a smart option but I'd rather pay more overall and get it sooner through finance (it's nice to have new things too.)

Cheers!

I've had my 121P for about a week now and so far I can say:

[quote name='spaz91' timestamp='1394744870' post='2394801']
1. Does the small cab size make it sound boxy and thin? [i]- Not in a million years. Tweak a couple of controls and it's the deepest bass I've heard from a cab.[/i]
2. Is it hand portable, in your opinion?[i] - Definitely. Mine is the Indonesian made one and weighs in at 12.5kg. How far are you thinking of carrying it for? [/i]
3. Though the official website strictly prohibits it, is it possible to replace the amplifier with a different model?[i] I have no idea, it's not something I'd try. Maybe think of the Little Mark III and the NY 121 cab if you want to separate them?[/i]
4. Is 12" really enough speaker coverage to play with a drummer?[i] - I'll tell you after we practice with our drummer on Sunday (however we're not a loud band).[/i]

[/quote]

I've got the 2x10 version. Had it for 6 years now & it's been all I've needed. It's 19kg.
You can replace the head. Someone on here replaced the head in their 102P for a LM Tube. I made a lid for the head so I can remove it from the combo & I'll take it to rehearsals & use a cab in the rooms if I'm getting a lift from a band member & there's no room for the combo.

I'm not the biggest fan of Markbasses but there are many here who do favour them. On balance you could also consider Genz Benz (very affordable since Fender bought the company) Eden and Galleon Kruger - all powerful amps in little boxes, all within your budget...

The fun starts when you have to choose which you want...

My thoughts, having had one for about 18 months now - this being a record in itself, me owning any bass related item that long:

1. Does the small cab size make it sound boxy and thin? - [color=#ff0000]Not at all, I have to watch the lows to make sure they aren`t overpowering, especially with flats, or nickel/dead rounds[/color]
2. Is it hand portable, in your opinion? - [color=#ff0000]Easily, mine is the Italian made one, and have carried it, and my bass, on a half-mile walk. Wouldn1t make a habit of it, but doable.[/color]
3. Though the official website strictly prohibits it, is it possible to replace the amplifier with a different model? - [color=#ff0000]No idea on this part.[/color]
4. Is 12" really enough speaker coverage to play with a drummer? - [color=#ff0000]It is with this amp, though if you need a really full bass sound then adding an ext cab cab in really makes a difference, but having used mine in an 8-piece band (with 2 basses) that 1x12 holds its own.[/color]

Crikey, I;ve been going to the wrong forums. :P

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1394745235' post='2394811']
I have this for sale currently. It's a super Markbass combo I'm also staying in Stanton Drew on weekdays, so we're practically neighbours :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/229957-for-sale-markbass-cmd151p-combo-l600/page__p__2370488#entry2370488"]http://basschat.co.u...88#entry2370488[/url]
[/quote]
Sorry mate, not looking for second hand. ;)
[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1394745411' post='2394814']
I've had my 121P for about a week now and so far I can say:
[/quote]
I'd be carrying it all over Bristol so 1 to 2 miles depending on bus stops? Maybe I'd put the combo on my back and carry the bass in my hands?
[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1394746228' post='2394828']
I've got the 2x10 version. Had it for 6 years now & it's been all I've needed. It's 19kg.
You can replace the head. Someone on here replaced the head in their 102P for a LM Tube. I made a lid for the head so I can remove it from the combo & I'll take it to rehearsals & use a cab in the rooms if I'm getting a lift from a band member & there's no room for the combo.
[/quote]
Did it need resoldering / rewiring in any way or was it similiar to changing a cab normally.
[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1394748456' post='2394879']
I'm not the biggest fan of Markbasses but there are many here who do favour them. On balance you could also consider Genz Benz (very affordable since Fender bought the company) Eden and Galleon Kruger - all powerful amps in little boxes, all within your budget...

The fun starts when you have to choose which you want...
[/quote]
I'll have a google, are any of these series dicontinued?
[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1394748577' post='2394882']
Oh you're in Bristol mate, wanna try mine out? I'm only down in Southville. Might want to find somewhere you can turn the volume up though.
[/quote]
I might take you up on this, closer to the time. I have to get some sort of job to qualify for the Take It Away scheme first. :blink:

3. Though the official website strictly prohibits it, is it possible to replace the amplifier with a different model?
[/quote]

1. No. It sounds fat and punchy.
2. Yes, Incredibly light and compact for such a meaty thing.
3. Yes, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to. The amp is excellent.
4. Yes, absolutely. I play with a LOUD drummer and two LOUD guitarists, and the combo delivers clarity, depth, and presence of sound, with plenty head room to spare.

I

I have a TecAmp Puma 1x10 combo, which you list as one of your alternative choices. The 1x10 appears to be discontinued, but the 1x12 still exists, thoman have for more or less your budget depending on the exchange rate.

[/quote]

No, not at all. You can EQ loads of bass back into it.
[quote]

[/quote]
Yes, but I wouldn't want to carry it much more than a mile by hand. If you could put it into a rucsack or a set of straps and carry it on your back it would be fine. I've transported mine a short distance on the carrier of my Dahon folding bike, to prove it could be done more than anything.
[quote]
[/quote]
No. You'd need to take it to bits.
[quote]
[/quote]
The 1x10 copes well enough, so the 12 will be fine.

I had the 2x10 combo ..the CMC102P..in fact i had two of them from brand new .....the first one blew a fuse on the main circuit board ...The one underneath where the kettle lead goes in ..... Was repaced by GAK .... The second brand new one from GAK then did exactly the same thing after about 6 months use.

They did send a new one which I the traded on here as i lost my confidence in the combo lol.

I play in a rockband and I used to to use the combo with the NY 112 extension cab (traded on here also) and to me the whole set up lacked bottom end ..... you could never get that feeling where the bass playing really his you in the chest sort of thing.

Im actually still using a Markbass head though .... The all valve Markbass classic 300...( Traded for the combo and cab) which paired with a 4x10 and 1x15 cabs is much better .... but I guess its much more expensive kit too.

The new stuff isnt made in Italy now either.

Best of luck.

I use one for rehearsing and had to turn it down & cut bass last night at a fairly loud rehearsal.

I do find it works best with the funky MarkStand to keep it on the ground but pointing up at me. I find raising it completely off the floor can make it sound quite middley and sometimes a bit thin.

I've also bypassed the tweeter and feed the full range signal into the 12" speaker which, for me, smooths the sound out a little.

[b][i]No soldering.
Just unplug the cab from the head, remove the 4 bolts that hold it & then make a lid to stop things getting in it.[/i][/b]

So the amplifier doesn't have its own casing when removed from the combo?

[b][i]1. No. It sounds fat and punchy.
2. Yes, Incredibly light and compact for such a meaty thing.
3. Yes, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to. The amp is excellent.
4. Yes, absolutely. I play with a LOUD drummer and two LOUD guitarists, and the combo delivers clarity, depth, and presence of sound, with plenty head room to spare.[/i][/b]

This is good to hear, what sort of venues do you play in?

[b][i]I have a TecAmp Puma 1x10 combo, which you list as one of your alternative choices. The 1x10 appears to be discontinued, but the 1x12 still exists, thoman have for more or less your budget depending on the exchange rate.
No, not at all. You can EQ loads of bass back into it.
Yes, but I wouldn't want to carry it much more than a mile by hand. If you could put it into a rucsack or a set of straps and carry it on your back it would be fine. I've transported mine a short distance on the carrier of my Dahon folding bike, to prove it could be done more than anything.
No. You'd need to take it to bits.
The 1x10 copes well enough, so the 12 will be fine.[/i][/b]

Cheers. I'll keep an eye on them. :)

[b][i]I had the 2x10 combo ..the CMC102P..in fact i had two of them from brand new .....the first one blew a fuse on the main circuit board ...The one underneath where the kettle lead goes in ..... Was repaced by GAK .... The second brand new one from GAK then did exactly the same thing after about 6 months use.
They did send a new one which I the traded on here as i lost my confidence in the combo lol.
I play in a rockband and I used to to use the combo with the NY 112 extension cab (traded on here also) and to me the whole set up lacked bottom end ..... you could never get that feeling where the bass playing really his you in the chest sort of thing.
Im actually still using a Markbass head though .... The all valve Markbass classic 300...( Traded for the combo and cab) which paired with a 4x10 and 1x15 cabs is much better .... but I guess its much more expensive kit too.
The new stuff isnt made in Italy now either.[/i][/b]

I can fix a blown fuse myself (comes as second nature, living in 18th century terraced houses for years) so I'm not to worried about that. It is strange that you got two lemons in a row though. As for not beign built in Italy any more, surely that's a good thing. :P If they're made in Korea or the Indonesian Cort factory then the build quality won't suffer.

[b][i]I use one for rehearsing and had to turn it down & cut bass last night at a fairly loud rehearsal.
I do find it works best with the funky MarkStand to keep it on the ground but pointing up at me. I find raising it completely off the floor can make it sound quite middley and sometimes a bit thin.
I've also bypassed the tweeter and feed the full range signal into the 12" speaker which, for me, smooths the sound out a little.[/i][/b]

Does the fact that you need the stand mean the tone is lacking for the audience as well?

[b][i]When I had the Jeff Berlin version I felt it benefited from being used with a compressor pedal....[/i][/b]

Oh there'll be no end to the fiddling in my signal chain. :D

So does anyone have opinions on the Phil Jones amp?

[quote name='cliffyspliff' timestamp='1394812930' post='2395549']
I had the 2x10 combo ..the CMC102P..in fact i had two of them from brand new .....the first one blew a fuse on the main circuit board ...The one underneath where the kettle lead goes in ..... Was repaced by GAK .... The second brand new one from GAK then did exactly the same thing after about 6 months use.

The new stuff isnt made in Italy now either.

Best of luck.
[/quote]

What rotten luck. :(
I've never had any issues with mine in the past 6 years & I've never found it lacking in the low end.
If you still feel you need more low end, you should maybe change the 1x15 you have for a matching 4x10, as they usually go lower than a standard 15.

[quote name='spaz91' timestamp='1394822897' post='2395689']
[b][i]No soldering.
Just unplug the cab from the head, remove the 4 bolts that hold it & then make a lid to stop things getting in it.[/i][/b]

So the amplifier doesn't have its own casing when removed from the combo?
[/quote]

It has a casing, but no lid (it doesn't need one when it's in the combo, so they leave it off).

[quote]
So does anyone have opinions on the Phil Jones amp?
[/quote]

I tried the Briefcase. Sounded nice at low volumes, but started to fart a little when I turned it up.