Why become a member? ×

Newbie player and member saying 'allo

ZXRRDave

Evening all, I'm Dave from Norwich. Just started playing after a couple of months plunking along to rocksmith. Had my first lesson with Dood last night so sorted my sign in on here and am taking the time to say hello whilst mindlessly churning away on the exercise bike at the gym.

For the last few years I've been building and racing motorbikes so, having run out of money entirely, have taken up the far cheaper pastime of bass playing. Enjoying it immensely so far and have a basic rig of an epiphone thunderbird iv with a little ashdown tourbus 10w. Having visited the Birmingham guitar show a few weeks ago and tried out some options I should be picking up an orange crush pix 50w in a few weeks and when I get the chance I'll be getting my hands on an aerodyne jazz special.

As an example of why this is a cheaper hobby, the new amp and Fender equate to less than two weekends of racing bikes :o

I played lead when I was a teenager, but a bike crash that left me under an oncoming car damaged my shoulder and nerves in my left arm badly enough that I quit playing, however the intervening 20+ years appear to have recovered enough that I'm getting stuck into the lower ranges with gusto and having a ball.

That's probably more info than any of you needed so I'll call it there and start surfing the tide of tone through the other forum sections.

Dave

Thanks for the welcome guys, I've been doing some lurking in the various subforums and will pop up a few things here and there now I've got a feel for the place.

I'll start with a little accessories review thread on a nice custom strap I picked up at the Great British Guitar show in Birmingham a few weeks ago.

[quote]far cheaper pastime of bass playing[/quote]

Well, that depends... I saw the ZXRR and figured bikes were in there somewhere! However when guitar acquisition syndrome kicks in for some nice vintage stuff, and big amps and tube amplifiers take your fancy, it can soon cost the same. The only difference being you don't often throw basses and amps down the road at 100mph then watch them roll themselves into a ball of mixed metals!

Welcome...

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Johnm93' timestamp='1396121306' post='2410210']
That gravel trap looks comfy.

Brands...?
[/quote]

Yep, Paddock hill :)

Was having a little scrap with a ducati and the last lap flag caused me to go in a gear too high and about 20mph too fast. Bounced off the tyre wall. :D

[quote name='ZXRRDave' timestamp='1396203768' post='2410947']
Yep, Paddock hill :)

Was having a little scrap with a ducati and the last lap flag caused me to go in a gear too high and about 20mph too fast. Bounced off the tyre wall. :D
[/quote]

Ah yes - been through that one on a sidecar.