Why become a member? ×

Envelope Filters, what's hot at the moment?

Kev

I'm in the market for a new envelope filter pedal. Now, historically, I am extremely fussy when it comes to filters, so fussy that none of my past conquests have completely satisfied me for one reason or another. What is deemed to be a really good, wet, quaky filter at the moment that works well with fuzz pedals for synth tones? Two of the major contenders of the moment, Xerograph Dlx and Wonderlove, did not tick enough boxes for me to justify the investment. Xerograph sounded too sterile for me, despite it working great with other pedals, and the Wonderlove was just too difficult to dial in a good tone that worked on it's own and with others.

Possible interests are:

3Lead Proton
Subdecay Prometheus DLX
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
WMD Super Fatman
Xotic Robotalk 2

Any thoughts/recommendations? I will primarily be using an active Warwick and its quite important for me to have the option to have some clean bass coming through. Working well with fuzz pedals for synth tones is also a must.

I'm quite happy with the Proton after my Oxide and/or You're Doom. However these are not your typical fuzz (especially on the settings I use) and It's more funky than synthy on its own - probably not what you're looking for.

For me, most envelope filters don't really work with a dynamic-squashing fuzz before them unless you want really a really subtle effect on the attack. The one exception was the wonderlove with its loop making much sense but I did let it go since it was too big and complex for me.
Now if you place your fuzz after, or use an expression pedal, it opens up a lot more choices. Like said above, the WMD would likely get you anywhere you want but I find its many controls scary.

Agreed with all of the above, I should have mentioned the main intention is to use this with a You're Doom pedal, rather than a muff type fuzz or similar, so I would be running into the filter.

The WMD does certainly look interesting, but concerned it may have the same effect on me that the Wonderlove did, just too much going on. Same with the Prometheus.

Moog MF-101. If you want quacky funk, it does that with the follower even with the dirt at the front. If you want synth swells, plug in an expression pedal & away you go. Has CV & it's based on the LPF from the Minimoog.

Downside, it's not small & it won't share a PSU without squealing about it.

The only Envelope filter on my board at the min is the "Emma - Discumbobulator" Its quite a mild filter and very usable but can take a lot of the low end off so needs mixing with something else, so I beef if up with the "MXR Chorus Deluxe" the flange setting is interesting an that's a whole different thing though, but the Emma plus some chorus is great sounding

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1394890445' post='2396338']
Moog MF-101. If you want quacky funk, it does that with the follower even with the dirt at the front. If you want synth swells, plug in an expression pedal & away you go. Has CV & it's based on the LPF from the Minimoog.

Downside, it's not small & it won't share a PSU without squealing about it.
[/quote]

The Downsides are enough to make it a non starter for me unfortunately :(

[quote name='danny-79' timestamp='1394899215' post='2396479']
The only Envelope filter on my board at the min is the "Emma - Discumbobulator" Its quite a mild filter and very usable but can take a lot of the low end off so needs mixing with something else, so I beef if up with the "MXR Chorus Deluxe" the flange setting is interesting an that's a whole different thing though, but the Emma plus some chorus is great sounding
[/quote]

I wanted an Emma a while ago, not so much what I am after now but had no idea it suffered low end loss?

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1394899750' post='2396484']
The Downsides are enough to make it a non starter for me unfortunately :(

[/quote]
You should still try one before writing it off. A bigger board & a PSU is worth it for the sound it has (IMO, of course) & it actually adds low end if you keep the resonance down. :)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1394899750' post='2396484']
I wanted an Emma a while ago, not so much what I am after now but had no idea it suffered low end loss?
[/quote]

Can't say I experienced any low end loss personally. On it's own, it's mild to the point of indifference, you really have to dig in to get any kind of quack out of it. But run a fuzz into it and it really comes alive, every setting on it is useable and I never had any headroom issues, I've considered getting one again just for running with fuzz. I've come to the conclusion that a filter that sounds really great and quacky on it's own just has too many problems with fuzz. I've got a meatwad ant the moment. Great on it's own, but it takes a f***ing age to dial in any sort of useable sound with a fuzz, and even then I have to watch how hard I play for fear of making it mad.

My go to filter for a really useable sound is the MXR, really flexible but really musical too.
I'd be interested in trying out some other more esoteric filters, but for pure workhorse solid filter sounds, my vote is the MXR

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1394936490' post='2396942']
My go to filter for a really useable sound is the MXR, really flexible but really musical too.
I'd be interested in trying out some other more esoteric filters, but for pure workhorse solid filter sounds, my vote is the MXR
[/quote]

This.

You can get a real wet vocal thing going on, and it's as responsive to the dynamics of your playing as you like. It's no tone-sucker either. It holds its weight in the mix with as much of your essential dry signal in there as you please, without compromising the effect. Super flexible.

If envelope filters were cheese, the MXR would be the funky blue stuff .... Quacktastic!

Regarding synthy filtered fuzz tones, aye, the MXR works really well with fuzz .

I've got my filter before the compressor in the chain (to milk the dynamic input), with my fuzz after the compressor for a nice smooth and even fuzz tone. I find that when the MXR filter and the fuzz are used together in this way, the tone is very synthy and usable. It's the best method that I've found for a useable and good-sounding synthy filtered fuzz tone.

[quote name='paulo m' timestamp='1395129826' post='2398910']
3 leaf proton....wet & bubbly funk (new version) moved my MXR B.E.F on' way to quacky, & laser beam effects" very synth sounding....good with a OC2' tho.....but ultimately quite disappointing...I.M.O
[/quote]

That surprises me, although of course it's all subjective. I've found it nothing but useable and very musical.
Made some very brief Instagram vids here: [url="http://instagram.com/simonrpoulton"]http://instagram.com/simonrpoulton[/url]
(towards the bottom of March 2014)

Si

p.s. edit.
The vids are just through my iPhone mic using my Fender USA passive Jazz, Mark Bass LM2 & Barefaced Midget

Lots of thinking points in this thread!

The MXR is not my usual kind of filter, but then again my 'usual' kind of filters have all been sold for one reason or another! The Proton I think is leading the way in my head; I am almost tempted to buy a few and have an extended test of them, you just don't get a feel for filters in store I feel.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1395183934' post='2399652']
Lots of thinking points in this thread!

The MXR is not my usual kind of filter, but then again my 'usual' kind of filters have all been sold for one reason or another! The Proton I think is leading the way in my head; I am almost tempted to buy a few and have an extended test of them, you just don't get a feel for filters in store I feel.
[/quote]

With any pedal you've got to gig it really, pointless testing in a shop or at home......those aren't live band mixes :)

Si

Hello sI,"your correct choice is subjective....I gigged the mxr for a year or so before buying the proton... Why? I was asked to create the herbie Hancock. Cameleon sound's which the mxr cannot do!!!! It quacks & doesn't d'wop's... You cannot shift the filter up & down. So I tried the proton & it's so much more versatile & better sounding.....I.M.O