Why become a member? ×

Envelope Filters, what's hot at the moment?

Kev

Have never tried a 3Leaf Proton but I have the both MXR filter and the 3Leaf GR2 - both very usable but both very different.
Personally I prefer the GR2 because it has a better range of options compared to the MXR but the MXR is more 'PnP'; you can get a decent tone from the MXR pretty much without doing any tweaking where the GR2 is a little bit more 'hands on', is capable of getting much wetter and funkier (IMHO) than the MXR, can sweep up and down and can be set to Low Pass or Band Pass where MXR doesn't do up/down (not that I use that feature much, if at all!) and is set at Band Pass.
I have both the MXR & the GR2 on my board - the MXR set to Band Pass and the GR2 set to Low Pass - and use them for different applications. Both great filters
I can only assume the 3Leaf Proton will be a decent filter too but I tried a 3Leaf Wonderlove based on my love of the GR2 and found it to be somewhat lacking, nowhere near as usable as the GR2 (again, IMHO) so it was sent packing.

[quote name='johnDeereJack' timestamp='1395238120' post='2400058']
Have never tried a 3Leaf Proton but I have the both MXR filter and the 3Leaf GR2 - both very usable but both very different.
Personally I prefer the GR2 because it has a better range of options compared to the MXR but the MXR is more 'PnP'; you can get a decent tone from the MXR pretty much without doing any tweaking where the GR2 is a little bit more 'hands on', is capable of getting much wetter and funkier (IMHO) than the MXR, can sweep up and down and can be set to Low Pass or Band Pass where MXR doesn't do up/down (not that I use that feature much, if at all!) and is set at Band Pass.
I have both the MXR & the GR2 on my board - the MXR set to Band Pass and the GR2 set to Low Pass - and use them for different applications. Both great filters
I can only assume the 3Leaf Proton will be a decent filter too but I tried a 3Leaf Wonderlove based on my love of the GR2 and found it to be somewhat lacking, nowhere near as usable as the GR2 (again, IMHO) so it was sent packing.
[/quote]

See, now that has interested me. From what you say, you thought the GR2 was a good step ahead of the Wonderlove? In what way?

I have the Aguilar Filter Twin and the MXR BEF on my board and feel pretty well catered for now in the filter department! Both are so good that my vintage Mu-Tron III now has no place!

It is important to remember that some filters work better with active basses and some are much better with passive basses and also the ability to dial in clean signal is key too. The MXR scores on the clean tone dial in and works great with active basses even my GB which has a super hot signal but as a previous post mentioned you can't switch the filter sweep up or down as can with others such as the MuTron and the Filter Twin which is a shame as it is another really useable sound.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1395261523' post='2400477']
See, now that has interested me. From what you say, you thought the GR2 was a good step ahead of the Wonderlove? In what way?
[/quote]

Hey Kev,
From what I read the Wonderlove was marketed on the 3Leaf website as an improvement over the GR2; it’s Spencer’s ‘ultimate filter’ and it doesn’t get any better in terms of filters from 3Leaf. As I said earlier I have a deep love of the GR2 so bought a Wonderlove based on the fact is was hailed as an improvement over the GR2 but was thoroughly underwhelmed in terms of what the WL could do and how it could sound when A/B’d with the GR2.

It may be that they’re based on different circuits - if I remember correctly the GR1/GR2 are Lovetone Meatball clones whereas the WL and the Proton are based on the MuTron III circuit. When I A/B’d them initially I set everything at mid-day on both pedals and I used a variety of different basses (active, passive, fretted & fretless) all at the same settings through the same amp. What struck me right away was the GR2 instantly bubbled into life whereas the WL had to be cajoled and tweaked before it started acting like I thought it should. Initially I thought I had a defective unit but no, it just needs more attention.

I have a specific setting that I always return to with the GR2 so I set the WL up the way I have the GR2 – Sensitivity around 9/10 o’clock, Attack at 11, Decay around 1 or 2, Tone around 3, Range Low, Sweep Up, Mix/Blend around 2, internal switch set to Low Pass and trimpot at unity gain. Playing though the GR2 at these settings gives a wonderfully fat, full, deep, bubbly sound that’s full of vowels and you can’t help but mouth them while bopping your head back and forth, acting like some kind of weird funky chicken! When I set the WL up with exactly the same settings I was shocked. It’s nowhere near as responsive, the envelope barely opens with the sensitivity set at 9 o’clock where as the GR2 was bubbling away; it just didn’t sound as warm or rounded either, nowhere near as full or deep - to me it sounded thin and weak compared with the GR2.

I persevered with WL for a month and experimented with the controls using various basses but I was constantly frustrated and underwhelmed so I just always went back to the GR2. It’s just a better filter and, for me at least, there’s no escaping it. The WL has some really nice features with the Low Pass/Band Pass switch and the Boost trimpot being moved outside the enclosure (the GR2’s Low Pass/Band Pass switch and Boost trimpot are internal and accessing them involves removing the cover) and the Expression Pedal input is also a nice touch but apart from that I just don’t see it being anywhere near as good (in my experience anyway) as the GR2.

100% agree - I spent quite a bit of time with the Wonderlove at Bass Direct and found it very lacking as a filter and as you say really hard to get the funky squelch that should come easily from this kind of pedal. I also have to say that I had similar thoughts on the Proton too and being the owner of a MuTron I don't think it gets anywhere close!

I have not tried a GR2 but have only ever heard good things about them and hence the reason you rarely see a second hand one come up for sale.

The MXR is a great filter but as others have said it can lack a bit of depth but it is one the few that can cope easily with the super high output signal of a bass like my GB.

[quote name='johnDeereJack' timestamp='1395393419' post='2401866']

Hey Kev,
From what I read the Wonderlove was marketed on the 3Leaf website as an improvement over the GR2; it’s Spencer’s ‘ultimate filter’ and it doesn’t get any better in terms of filters from 3Leaf. As I said earlier I have a deep love of the GR2 so bought a Wonderlove based on the fact is was hailed as an improvement over the GR2 but was thoroughly underwhelmed in terms of what the WL could do and how it could sound when A/B’d with the GR2.

It may be that they’re based on different circuits - if I remember correctly the GR1/GR2 are Lovetone Meatball clones whereas the WL and the Proton are based on the MuTron III circuit. When I A/B’d them initially I set everything at mid-day on both pedals and I used a variety of different basses (active, passive, fretted & fretless) all at the same settings through the same amp. What struck me right away was the GR2 instantly bubbled into life whereas the WL had to be cajoled and tweaked before it started acting like I thought it should. Initially I thought I had a defective unit but no, it just needs more attention.

I have a specific setting that I always return to with the GR2 so I set the WL up the way I have the GR2 – Sensitivity around 9/10 o’clock, Attack at 11, Decay around 1 or 2, Tone around 3, Range Low, Sweep Up, Mix/Blend around 2, internal switch set to Low Pass and trimpot at unity gain. Playing though the GR2 at these settings gives a wonderfully fat, full, deep, bubbly sound that’s full of vowels and you can’t help but mouth them while bopping your head back and forth, acting like some kind of weird funky chicken! When I set the WL up with exactly the same settings I was shocked. It’s nowhere near as responsive, the envelope barely opens with the sensitivity set at 9 o’clock where as the GR2 was bubbling away; it just didn’t sound as warm or rounded either, nowhere near as full or deep - to me it sounded thin and weak compared with the GR2.

I persevered with WL for a month and experimented with the controls using various basses but I was constantly frustrated and underwhelmed so I just always went back to the GR2. It’s just a better filter and, for me at least, there’s no escaping it. The WL has some really nice features with the Low Pass/Band Pass switch and the Boost trimpot being moved outside the enclosure (the GR2’s Low Pass/Band Pass switch and Boost trimpot are internal and accessing them involves removing the cover) and the Expression Pedal input is also a nice touch but apart from that I just don’t see it being anywhere near as good (in my experience anyway) as the GR2.
[/quote]

Why is it always the way you get rid of something and within a few weeks the thing you get rid of is exactly the thing you need?

I sold my MXR on here as I could see no use for it, and the very week after, the singer / guitarist brought to the band a new tune where it fits in perfectly in the demo and now I've no pedal to play it on!

Goddam!!

I have a funny relationship with Envelope Filters and Bass Guitar.
I generally prefer the sound of a LowPass Filter, like the Moogerfooger MF-101 or the Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe.
Saying that I do really enjoy quaking away on the trusty old DOD FX25, which is a BandPass Filter...
I keep buying new Envelope Filters, which are admittedly easier to power, or more pedalboard friendly in terms of size.
However I still find myself gravitating to my old faithfuls.
Not the fault of the new pedals.
It's just that I like what I like, and already have 'em.
Somebody needs to buy my BassBalls Nano though, seriously...

Going back to the OP and that you'll primarily be using an active Warwick and you want to have some clean bass coming & works well with Fuzz, I'd recommend the Chunk pedals, 00Funk Mk II or Octavius Squeezer (which is envelope, fuzz and synth in one). They both sound great with my Warwick, (although you need patience with the Squeezer to program in the sounds you want).. I also have an Emma DiscumBOBulator on my board and definitely agree that on it's own it is pretty subtle (you definitely get some clean bass coming through) and sounds great combined with fuzz for synth. Also keen to take a look one day at the MuFX Tru Tron, looks very interesting.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After having tried quite a few filters I just got an MXR M82 and I have to say I just love it. Having the dry control really helps. And running my Grand Tarkin into it is amazing too. I wish I'd got one years ago.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1395840687' post='2406930']
...... keen to take a look one day at the MuFX Tru Tron, looks very interesting.
[/quote]

Me too. Our bass player has just ordered one and the new Mu-Fx Octave Divider too. Can't wait to hear it!

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1420724951' post='2652598']
Me too. Our bass player has just ordered one and the new Mu-Fx Octave Divider too. Can't wait to hear it!
[/quote] Well I picked up my MuFx Tru Tron (or Mu Tron 3x as they're known in Europe) late last year. With the built in pre-amp it's a very powerful filter, more flexible than the original unit with a much wider sweep, the down sweep on the Tru Tron is also one of the strongest I've heard on a filter pedal. I'd be keen to hear thoughts on the Octave Divider, that is on my GAS list! :)

Sounds good - so is it the best filter ever?

Does it sound better than the original Mu-Tron?

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1420808667' post='2653676']
Well I picked up my MuFx Tru Tron (or Mu Tron 3x as they're known in Europe) late last year. With the built in pre-amp it's a very powerful filter, more flexible than the original unit with a much wider sweep, the down sweep on the Tru Tron is also one of the strongest I've heard on a filter pedal. I'd be keen to hear thoughts on the Octave Divider, that is on my GAS list! :)
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1420808929' post='2653685']
Sounds good - so is it the best filter ever?

Does it sound better than the original Mu-Tron?
[/quote] There's no such thing as best filter ever, 'best' is way too subjective :) I own a few other filters, but I like them all & they all sound different. I've only briefly played an original Mu-tron and not side by side with the Tru-Tron, but from limited experience of the original unit, the Tru Tron can do everything the old Mu-tron can and can get more extreme. Is it better? hard to say. Sorry if that's a cop out answer!

Looks like powering the TruTron or Octave Divider from Mu-Fx could be a drag, unless you have a fancy pedal power unit like Voodoo Labs and I am not even sure how easy it is to power more than one Mu-Fx pedal off a pedal power supply.

Bo0tsy, how are you powering yours?

Yes that's right BassNut, the new Mu Fx pedals come with their own power supply. I emailed Mike Beigel about it previously when I was enquiring about getting one and he said "The Tru-Tron3x uses its own LITTLE wall-wart supply that delivers 12volts AC, which the unit itself turns into (analog regulated) accurate +/- 9volt DC with TRUE GROUND--same as Mu-Tron III but much more accurately and quietly regulated." Mike also said the following about the Tru Tron on bass ."... the new independent ENVELOPE SENSITIVITY and AUDIO LEVEL controls allow a "lower" sweep with whatever loudness you dial in so that means it should be EASIER to use it with a bass than an original Mu-Tron III, and from Bootsy Collins we know that a bass and a mu-tron III can make history together.... " That pretty much sold me anyway! :)

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1420818698' post='2653874']
Yes that's right BassNut, the new Mu Fx pedals come with their own power supply. I emailed Mike Beigel about it previously when I was enquiring about getting one and he said "The Tru-Tron3x uses its own LITTLE wall-wart supply that delivers 12volts AC, which the unit itself turns into (analog regulated) accurate +/- 9volt DC with TRUE GROUND--same as Mu-Tron III but much more accurately and quietly regulated."
[/quote]

That power supply sounds good but from US 110v, so would have to get step down transformer from UK 220v too; which puts me off.
Have you found some other solution, apart from getting a pedal power supply like Voodoo Labs?

Sorry I didn't explain that very well, no other solution that I've come up with I'm afraid, I use a Diago 9v power station for the rest of my board and so have to power the Tru Tron separately via the separate power supply adapter supplied.

Edited by Bo0tsy