Why become a member? ×

Envelope Filters, what's hot at the moment?

Kev

• 9 months later...

I've been using an original Prometheus for a while now and it's one of the fattest filters I've played with! Definitely worth a try. The only drawback if any is that that controls are very sensitive so keeping a really fine setting takes a good memory if the knobs get knocked askew when you're on the go. Haven't tried the updated version but it looks way too soundbloxy for me lol.

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1420844498' post='2654281']
Here's what came with the pedal, I got it from Thomann so I can plug it straight into an EU to UK adapter and into the mains, works a treat.
[/quote]

I can see just out of shot that yours has a logo next to the Mutron text. Mine doesn't, but I always thought it was supposed to since the text is off centre!

How have you found the MuTron 3X?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1446159036' post='2897473']
I got an old big box Q-Tron recently. More Mutron like and less distorted than the Mini Q-Tron, but out of all of them I think the Mini Q is still my favourite. Will do some deciding this weekend to see if I want to hang on to the Mutron 3X or not!
[/quote]

It's one of the best filters I've ever used! Very versatile indeed. It's a bit quackier than the Q-Trons, i.e. the attack time is quicker - which works really well for faster playing, but I feel the slower response of the Q-Trons, paired with the fact they are warmer/dirtier, makes them more vocal and expressive. I have pondered moving on the Mu as I don't play it as much as the Mini Q and it's worth a decent wedge - but I'll probably end up keeping all of them!

I tried quite a few filters recently and found the 3Leaf Proton to be the best for what I was looking for, very natural - but, quite fussy as far as sensitivity goes, I found switching from plucking to picking changed what it did quite a lot. The EMMA tracked really well and wasn't so fussy but I found it very trebly.

That said, I ended up with a wah pedal instead.

I picked up the GR2 that was on sale here recently. For me, it's the best filter I've ever had. So squelchy, very funky. I still love my Mini Q-Tron but I don't use it live because of the volume jump. And my MXR sounds a bit thin next to the GR2.
I'd still love to get my hands on a big old Q-Tron and a Proton at some point though, but I'm more than happy with this GR2. Awesome.

I was having a convo in PM earlier about filters.
Im an MF101 fanboy of the highest order but have nothing but good things to say about the Emma (well quacky!) and the old big box Q tron (awesome down sweep, although I had it modded for the volume spike)
Im gonna give the Sonuus Wahoo a go next, how come more people havent jumped on them??
I'll let y'all know how I get on :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just landed myself a GR2...instantly useable
Sounds' Ooze from this filter...it appears to have a lot more sound options...than The V2 proton' which ive had on my board for over a year..Guess i will opt for the subtle side of things with this...for starters!! as it has a huge swathe of sound going on!

Edited by paulo m

[quote name='paulo m' timestamp='1447357444' post='2907081']
Just landed myself a GR2...instantly useable
Sounds' Ooze from this filter...it appears to have a lot more sound options...than The V2 proton' ive had on my board for over a year...time for a change.
[/quote]

Good choice! About the best filter out there in my (more limited than some people's) experience! Having said that I still think of the Moog occasionally!

Edited by Bigwan

I really like the Wonderlove I picked up recently, gets pretty syrupy for me. Xerograph Deluxe is cool although I wouldn't reach for it as a traditional funk filter, you can coax a decent DOD FX25 impression. SA BEF Pro does a bit of everything, you can get a pretty convincing bit of quack out of it as well a laser noises.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my take on my recently acquired GR2..its just brilliant- ive been comparing bass sounds from stevie wonders innervisions cd..this filter has So many applications...& can approximate those sounds..it takes a minute & can be fiddly but id say this is one of the best filters ive come across.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the robotalk 2 and the super fatman on my board. They're totally different sounding filters. The robotalk is super funky and you can get some really interesting sounds with both filters running together. Also great if you want a filter for slap and one for finger style.

The super fatman does have a massive range of sounds, and it can do massive swells. I don't particularly like it on its own, but with and octave and a fuzz it's great for synthy tones. Can do down sweeps too, has a step filter which can be combined with the envelope and an expression pedal input.