Why become a member? ×

New player from Essex

Heket

Hi everyone,

My name is Anita, I'm from Billericay in Essex and I'm completely new to bass. Well, I've played a bit of Rocksmith! I've just signed up for bass lessons which should start in a couple of weeks. I'm excited! I already have been playing guitar for about a year and a half now but have always had a great fondness for bass and rhythm. Last year I asked for a bass for my birthday and after extensive research got this:

Musicman SUB Sterling ray 4. Not sure how their naming system works, but I think I got it right.

I don't have an amp yet. I know pretty much nothing about basses or bass amps, so for now I'm using my tiny guitar amp which can do both until I've researched and played more.

I LOVE bass and grooves and if I were ever to jam with others I'd want to do it with the bass but I have a huge problem - I have severe rheumatoid arthritis. It stopped me from daring to learn to play guitar for a long time but one day I just said "screw it!" and now I'm saying the same about bass. It's well controlled (during some months of the year) but it's very limiting. I can only play with pick and maximum play time I can have per day is about 15 minutes and then I can't play any guitar either. I'm hoping that partly will be a case of building up strength, which is why I want lessons - so my teacher can show me how best to use that time.

This is a big step for me because I completely freeze up when playing instruments in front of anyone (can't even play at home unless alone/with headphones) but somehow with the bass it just feels... right. Right? I'm sure you know what I mean B).

Sorry, that's a bit long! I look forward to reading and learning all to do with bass :)

Welcome Anita
Lots of Essex basschatters on here and we're mostly friendly and helpful.
There is lots of useful links and stuff in theory and technique. If in doubt just ask and someone will know!
Great looking bass you have there.

Edited by lonestar

Thanks everyone! I hope one day I'll be able to put something back into the community and help other newbies out too. I never thought I'd get that way with guitar but I did, over at a forum dedicated to my favourite type of guitar.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1394890620' post='2396341']
Hey Anita.... I'm just down the road in Wickford..... let me know if you are out playing and I'll come watch!
[/quote]

Cool! I'm going to be taking lessons at Rainbow Music in Barleylands. I try and get most of my music gear from there and anything they don't have I get from PMT in Southend/Romford. Do you know of any other stores nearby?

Another Essex chap here from Benfleet down at the Delta - welcome aboard. Obligatory Essex girl joke - best advice is don't get the heels of your white stilettos caught up in the handle of your handbag when playing. Right, that's got that out of the way...

SE Essex bass bash more like. Wasn't there one on Canvey a while back?

Glad to hear this area is a lively place! I honestly know nothing about music stuff out and about, watching or playing. I really have to get out and at least see some bands. I didn't mention what music I like - primarily blues rock, hard rock and heavy metal but I'll listen and play pretty darned much anything.

Paul, North Thames Delta is an excellent way to refer to the good ol' estuary! I am very Essex having been born in Basildon, and have been the butt of many an Essex girl joke :P

[quote name='Heket' timestamp='1394986956' post='2397402']
Glad to hear this area is a lively place! I honestly know nothing about music stuff out and about, watching or playing. I really have to get out and at least see some bands. I didn't mention what music I like - primarily blues rock, hard rock and heavy metal but I'll listen and play pretty darned much anything.

... I am very Essex having been born in Basildon, and have been the butt of many an Essex girl joke :P
[/quote]

:hi:Hi Anita - Welcome to BC

Raised in Romford (and lived there for best part of 30-years), but now out west in Berkshire these days.. Just to say your Musicman Sterling is one heck of a decent Bass for starters! I am gassing for one myself.. so good luck - there is loads of good advice on the forum, not necessarily from me :happy: but have FUN :D

not doing any gags about White Heels | Orgasms | Bags of Chips etc etc :)

Edited by SimonEdward

Thanks! What exactly is a bass bash?

I went for the SUB because it suited my needs - light, narrow neck, single pup for simplicity (yet active for more thump in situations otherwise requiring a neck pup), well-balanced (I'm used to neck dive playing an SG guitar, but the SG bass is something else) and it had stellar reviews pretty much across the board. A lot of people commented that there was not much difference between these and the main Musicman line.

I had a bit of a bass epiphany when I accompanied my parents to a blues gig at a church and I couldn't take my eyes off the bassist all night. I couldn't care less what the guitarist was doing. I turned to my mum to express this and she straight away said "let me buy you a bass for your birthday!". How could I say no to that? :rolleyes: She gave me a budget of £250 to look for as she didn't want me to buy something cheap and nasty. It just so happened that the shop I visit in London not only had these but had them on sale too. Coincidence? Naaaah! I'm very happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Anita...welcome to BC.

Not a bad first bass you have there...

If you'd like to know what's involved in a Bass Bash check out the "Events" thread - you, and all the rest of the Essex bassists, are welcome to join us at the Herts Bash on 6th July - everybody enjoyed it last year, hopefully will again this year...

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/231828-herts-bash-2/

Edited by TheGreek