Why become a member? ×

Replacement pups for an Epi T Bird Pro V?

Hey all,

I've recently acquired an Epiphone Thunderbird Bird Pro V and the pickups are a bit shoddy. The low B is practically nonexistent when compared to the other strings. I've asked Epiphone customer service about it but it's unlikely they're gonna do anything.

So that just leaves me with the option to replace the pickups. My question is - with what? I've browsed numerous forums and have came across a few options but the screw holes don't match (the stock pickups have 3 screws in a Y formation - two top and one bottom - rather than just having a screw on the top and one on the bottom).

In my searching i've found these [url="http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-t4-pickups.htm"]Bartolini T4CBC[/url] pickups which look to fit the bill except for one thing - they're pickups for a four string bass.

The dimensions of the pickups match mine (91mm x 39mm) so I can't see there being a problem but I'm still not too sure. The description mentions "[color=#000000][font=verdana, arial, tahoma, helvetica][size=3]CNC machined blades on all of the 4 string bass pickups listed below allow them to cover string widths from 50mm to 59mm on medium curvature fingerboards with excellent string balance. " but then it goes on to say it's a "4 conductor pickup".[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, arial, tahoma, helvetica][size=3]Is anyone able to shed some light on a decent pair of pups I can chuck in the Thunderbird? Would those Barts suffice?[/size][/font][/color]

I'm not getting on too well with the bass, would you think I'd just be better off selling it off for a fraction of the price I bought it for and cut my losses?

Cheers,
-Johnny