Why become a member? ×

Double bass buying advice

dudi8

Hi!
I'm thinking of buying another DB, i came across a guy that sells a DB fully carved that he finished 8 years ago, 3/4 size, spirit varnish, and he wants 2000 euros for it... is it worth it?

here is the bass:

Edited by dudi8

The answer is probably but, with double basses, it is much more of the case that you need to try it to see if it works for you. You can get a great sounding bass that turns upo for £50 (Steve Berry's did!!) or you can pay £6K for a dog. Double basses are not like electrics and can be less consistent. What seems apparent is that this one has not been mistreated so that may be an indicator of something. Best have a look at it and, if you can, take someone who plays well with you so that they can give you an opinion of its playability and sound.

• 1 month later...

Probably nothing at all but i do see a lot of similar looking bass's imported over here by students or by sellers and there very good quality and sound great. They could be of a similar standard or this could be something completely different. Go try it out though and see if it's any good. You could be onto a gem.