Why become a member? ×

New Double Bass Day

Buzzy

My DB arrived this morning, :D a huge box containing a Thomann 22 3/4 Europe DB with Thomastik Spirocore Mediums and a K&K Bassmax pickup.
The box had several dents in it and the end pin was sticking out through a hole in the box.
I called Thomann to check if I should accept delivery, they said take some pictures of the damage and write the details on the delivery notes, then unpack the DB and accept it if its not damaged.
Luckily it was in perfect condition.
I fitted the bridge and tuned up and made sure the Bassmax worked through my practice amp.
It plays great and but I think I might get it to a luthier for a set up, the action is a bit too high and all the strings keep going a bit flat. Is that normal with new DB strings?
There's also something vibrating when I play around B or C on the A string.
Other than those couple of issues I'm really pleased with it.

Edited by Buzzy

Congratulations !

I play spiro mittles and they should settle in pretty quick. It might be you tail piece wire that's bedding in and bear in mind that the bass will adapt in shape and dimension with the loading of the strings and being in a nice heated house rather than a courier depot! So maybe best to give the bass a chance to rest and regain its composure . You may find that the buzzing disappears.

+1 and without any doubt take it to a luthier and have it set up properly. Worth every penny! If the strings are too high the chances are that you will get some buzzing on the fingerboard in addition to what are experiencing already.

Anyways good luck with it and great to see you've taken the plunge !

Thanks for the all positive replies, I'll be on the case tomorrow to arrange a set up. I still have the DB I've been renting until the end of the month, Mrs Buzzy not chuffed now we have two of them in the house.
Geoff, great stuff on discoverdoublebass especially for a newbie.

Took it to Malcolm Tysoe for a set up yesterday, they are going to adjust the bridge and lower the action also check the nut and fingerboard. The guy had a quick look and said the sound post looks as if it's moved slightly so they will put that in the best position.
When I called them about a set up they said that I had made a good choice buying European instrument instead of a Chinese one.The said some of the Chinese DBs are poor quality and are almost impossible to set up.
Picking it up on Saturday, I'll update the post with the results of the set up

thats great mate, aye you want to check out the vids by Geoff and get the left/right hands doin it reyt, go slow and keep it disciplined, theres nowt worse than having to correct bad technique later, im having to slow down on a few things to get my fingertips on the string evenly as i started to get slopy and it caused a problem when i tried to play a bit faster

Just got the DB back from Malcolm Tysoe in Farnborough where it's been for a set up. Sound post repositioned , the bridge was reduced so the action is lower, nut and fingerboard checked but did not require any work. Plays like a dream now, also found a Gallien Krueger MB112 Mk 2 on gumtree for £200, less than a year old and still covered by the Bass Gallery warranty.
First rehearsal with the new set up tomorrow. :D