Why become a member? ×

Exam Day Today!

philparker

Quite daunting really!!

I haven't taken a music exam since my final year in school, some 35 years ago and took my grade 6 this afternoon.

I was sharing the waiting room with a 12-year old and a 15-year old and they were much less nervous than me. More nerves than any gig I've ever done.

It went as well as it could have done for my set pieces, but it will be interesting to see how many points I've dropped in the other sections?!

Thanks - it went as well as it could.

I played in this order: Capuzzi, Rondo & Allegro; Walton, A Deep Song; Bottesini, Study No. 40.

I learned and played most of the A & B selection, but those were my favourites. I will start on the Capuzzi Allegro straight away, ready for a grade 7 at the end of the year.

My accompanist was a local (within 15 miles) Piano Tuner by trade, who is an excellent player and sight reader. I had 3 sessions with him prior to the exam (it gets expensive!).

I was disappointed with my sight reading; it was full of semi-quavers, mixed slurred & single strokes, dotSQ/Q/dotSQ Q rest in 2/4. Up to F. Quite tricky compared to the other 3 pieces he could have chosen on the double open page, but I should be better than that. My dynamics were non-existent. I will have dropped points. However, I left with a good overall feeling and he even said I did very well!

Edited by philparker

Thing is that will have given you a firm resolve for your 7 sight reading !

The slurred and tied notes are always the tricky ones for us especially with changing time and key sigs thrown in ....I guess thats why they are there in the exam - grade 6 isnt meant to be easy ( its not ) !!

Yes, you're right, it will be the focus of my practise for the next 6 months before grade 7 and I won't get it wrong (I've played other music to a much higher standard & that is why I am disappointed).

I am also enthused - I was thinking of only taking Grade 6, then concentrating on Pizz, but I will persevere and take it up to Grade 8, all being well!

Thanks for your words of encouragement!

I have one today too, got fed up of always loosing great chamber music gigs because i hadn't done any grades which people seem to base your capabilities of.

Next time if you want more rehearsals with a pianist maybe email your nearest music school/conservatory and see if there's any players who want to practice their accompaniment skills.

Grade 8.

A lot of groups seem to ask in Dublin and i always forgot to lie and just say i had it.

Yeah, they shouldn't be so picky especially when there's a lack of us. Maybe it's just an excuse to always hire in a professional.

Edited by fatgoogle