Why become a member? ×

Overwater Scott Devine build

BassBus

Once upon a time there was a little boy. One day he went to a big city for the day. When he got there he found there was a big toy factory. When he went in he met a very nice man called Chris. Chris said he would love to make a new toy for the little boy. So Chris took the little boy to his special cupboard and showed the little boy his wood stock. The little boy chose a piece with lots of wavey bits in it and a lovely red colour.

The rest

Black walnut body
Figured red wood facing
maple neck
16.5mm string spacing
Lined fretless ebony fingerboard
33" scale
pickups in SDS position
Satin finish

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1395322014' post='2401070']
When he went in he met a very nice man called Chris. Chris said he would love to make a new toy for the little boy. So Chris took the little boy to his special cupboard and showed the little boy his wood.
[/quote]

Blimey, I'm glad I didn't go to a luthier for my new bass now.... :o :D

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1395336082' post='2401339']
Ah yes, I remember watching that one. Still enjoying it? Probably a silly question.
[/quote]

Ohhhh yes! Its a beast. I was at Overwater on Monday having a new Ramp made. Martin did the gluing up a few weeks ago, then we left it to stabilise (because it is ziracote/maple/walnut to match the bass body. Cutting and shaping on Monday, then it went off for the finish lacquer to be put on. Going back on Saturday for it to be fitted.

Won't be going anywhere near the special cupboard though! tee hee

Pics of Ramp to follow....

RK

Lots of progress this week.

Facing wood glued to the head.

Trus rod and carbon rod channels routed.

Beginning to look like a proper bass.

And a shot of the Black Walnut that is most of the body.

Martin is hoping to have all the woodworking finished by the end of the month. Coming on leaps and bounds. :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by BassBus

Wow, this is coming along nicely! Martin is a genius.

Looking forward to the black walnut coming to life when the finish is applied. Thats a really nice piece.

What have you chosen for the fingerboard?

Will it be E-C or B-G strung?

RK

I went with a lined ebony board and E-C tuning. I've never really liked a low B string and can use a C string much more. Bit of a Janek Gwizdala fan and all that.

I'm looking forward to the finish on the Redwood face as well. Of all the bits of wood Chris showed me that just stood out most. With spirits wiped over it the figuring really leapt out.

Edited by BassBus

Another update.

Few more holes drilled for neck screws and looks like sanding has started. I was given the choice of a blond or black veneer between face and body. I chose black and I think it looks much better than blond would have.

And all the woodwork assembled. First sight of the finger board which looks great, in my humble opinion of course.

I guess this is where things will slow down a bit as sanding is done and layers of finish applied.

I have just been playing a fretless today for the first time in a while and I am now really looking forward to this, not that I wasn't before.

Edited by BassBus

Pictures sorted.

The combination of woods looks good but they will look even better when the finish is applied.

I've chosen black hardware. The bridge will be individual pieces to get the 16.5mm spacing.

Strings are rounds which is why I went with the ebony board. I will experiment with strings as time goes on. I like Thomastik Jazz Flats which I have on my ACG at the moment. They produce exactly the tone I want on that bass but they didn't sound so good on my Cort, both fretted basses. That's probably down to the different woods in the two basses. You can't really beat rounds for tone on fretless though and I really don't like flats on a wooden board.

• 2 weeks later...

Now then boys and girls. This is where things become even more interesting. The first coats of lacquer have been applied and as you would expect the flame starts to leap out at you. Can't wait to see it for real.

Fraid I'm just lost for words now.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1396976434' post='2419386']
Now then boys and girls. This is where things become even more interesting. The first coats of lacquer have been applied and as you would expect the flame starts to leap out at you. Can't wait to see it for real.

Fraid I'm just lost for words now.
[/quote]

It's a good job Basschat doesn't allow swearing as I can only describe this as a ****ing *h!****$ m***erf*nkin' BEAST!!