Why become a member? ×

E.U.B. buy or not ?

govons

Hello everyone, I need some advice from experts.

The situation is this: from Monday to Thursday I stay in a small studio flat, from Friday to Sunday in another (normal size apartment). Always travel with the double bass I do not really want and also I often use the train then not at all.

Now I would like to increase the hours of study and does not seem the case to buy a second one (consider also that probably my wife will make me in small pieces to feed our cat ) and I already have too many instruments including electric and bass amp (I'm also trying to sell some).

So, I said to myself "what if I buy a e.u.b ?".

Ok I imagine that it will never be like the real double bass, sound, feeling etc. bla bla ... but how much can it help me to study? Surely more than not playing at all or only play the bass guitar, but in a nutshell it is a move that you recommend to me? How much can it will be close to real double bass?

The instrument would also have to buy I already found (alter ego baby ballad), luckly it as the exact same pitch of my double bass.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1395333047' post='2401278']
In my experience the EUB that feels closest to the real thing is the Yamaha SLB100

It was designed for classical players to practice in silence.

I use one (with modified electrics) on many of my gigs in preference to an acoustic.
[/quote]

Totally agree, although the bridge is much shorter which can make a difference. My current EUB uses a normal DB bridge and on that basis is a great proxy for the real thing. SLB100 is a far better choice than most EUBs however

The Yammy is an excellent instrument but also pretty pricey at around £3,000 ...ouch ! Theres the NS Design CR4 which has a great sound - but aesthetically and shape wise not the same as a DB . It has a long neck without D stop bouts. The Yammy is about as close as you will get. But you can also pick up a Stagg for around £200 which does have little aluminium frames to simulate the D stop and a hip support. Folds down pretty compact too and feels quite DB -ish ( I took one on a plane to Greece last summer and put it in the overhead locker!).

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1395354545' post='2401624']
The Yammy is an excellent instrument but also pretty pricey at around £3,000 ...ouch ! Theres the NS Design CR4 which has a great sound - but aesthetically and shape wise not the same as a DB . It has a long neck without D stop bouts. The Yammy is about as close as you will get. But you can also pick up a Stagg for around £200 which does have little aluminium frames to simulate the D stop and a hip support. Folds down pretty compact too and feels quite DB -ish ( I took one on a plane to Greece last summer and put it in the overhead locker!).
[/quote]

The SLB100 can be got for around £750 on eBay if you're patient, it's good but not £3k good. I disagree re the Stagg, IMO you'd be better off using an imaginary DB, the Stagg feels nothing like any DB I've ever played :rolleyes:

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1395355059' post='2401630']
I disagree re the Stagg, IMO you'd be better off using an imaginary DB, the Stagg feels nothing like any DB I've ever played :rolleyes:
[/quote]

This is very true - its not so bad standing but sitting and trying to get the fingerboard in the same angle as my DB involved making up a foam cradle. At the end of the day there probably is no substitute for a DB especially given the volume of a DB body but thats the thing EUBs are EUBs and not DBs! :)

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1395416570' post='2402239']
This is very true - its not so bad standing but sitting and trying to get the fingerboard in the same angle as my DB involved making up a foam cradle. At the end of the day there probably is no substitute for a DB especially given the volume of a DB body but thats the thing EUBs are EUBs and not DBs! :)
[/quote]

I think this is where the SLB-100 wins, with the exception of the angle of the strings at the bridge, it really does feel like a DB to play (I won't comment on the sound, I notice Keith has replaced the electronics on his, and I used external PUPs - a wing at the bridge mixed with a Kent Armstrong mag on the fingerboard - on mine, the internal pre-amp was a disaster). My current EUB isn't quite as DBish in terms of body contour and weight etc as the SLB, but it sounds a whole lot better and I like the fact that it uses a real bridge.

The SLB100 doesn't just feel like a real DB but it balances so well, it doesn't have the tendency to spin like many of the lighter weight E.U.B.'s (including the SLB200)

The factory electrics sound good for arco but dreadful for pizz, but it's easy enough to add a pickup to improve as Beedster and myself have done.

They are quite heavy but if it's for home use then that shouldn't be a problem.

I also own a Clifton which has the body extentions, sounds great with a Wilson K4 pick up and is lightweight but I prefer the neck and feel of the Yammy.

I'll be playing the Yammy tonight at the Harrogate Brasserie

I agree the slb100 is the best option I've tried. I would love something to practice on that was closer in feel, response and balance to a regular double bass. I think theres a lot of options for EUBs but not many that get close in terms on replicating these elements (but quieter). I would gladly trade the travel aspect for a fuller framed practice instrument.

As is the Kolstein Busetto. One small advantage an EUB has over a double bass is that the latter can, in certain acoustics, produce too 'big' a sound, particularly in the lower register. A couple of times I've been told to 'turn down' when, in fact, I haven't even been 'turned on'. I play once a month in a pub where the stage area has a low ceiling with a downstanding beam across the front where there is an intrusive boom. It's been a running joke among the other musicians re the various basses/amps I've brought along just to try to find a reasonable sound. I've now sorted it with the Kolstein/Underwood/ FDeck/GB Shuttle 10"

Hi!

As a classical player I use a Steinberger CR 5 M for practising - and sound experiments. You can get a neck heel here: [url="http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1771-NECK_HEEL_FOR_NS_DESIGN_CR_BASSES.html"]http://www.gollihurm..._CR_BASSES.html[/url] .

More EUBs? [url="http://ebass.nl/models/"]http://ebass.nl/models/[/url]

The pickups of the Yammys are really very bad regarding the prize of the instruments IMHO.

Best

Thomas

Edited by Basstroker

[quote name='Basstroker' timestamp='1395493477' post='2403010']
Hi!

As a classical player I use a Steinberger CR 5 M for practising - and sound experiments. You can get a neck heel here: [url="http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1771-NECK_HEEL_FOR_NS_DESIGN_CR_BASSES.html"]http://www.gollihurm..._CR_BASSES.html[/url] .

More EUBs? [url="http://ebass.nl/models/"]http://ebass.nl/models/[/url]

The pickups of the Yammys are really very bad regarding the prize of the instruments IMHO.

Best

Thomas
[/quote]

The OP question was "How much can it will be close to real double bass?"

Thank you all you guys for your replies and nice information that I can grab. Actually my question is not how much can be close to a real db but how playing on eub can be helpful for studing when I switch to DB. I can really touch result? From which point of view? Intonation? Training of left hand might?

Alter Ego that I found used has a good price, yammy €400 more....

Edited by govons

[quote name='govons' timestamp='1395562957' post='2403614']
Thank you all you guys for your replies and nice information that I can grab. Actually my question is not how much can be close to a real db but how playing on eub can be helpful for studing when I switch to DB. I can really touch result? From which point of view? Intonation? Training of left hand might?

Alter Ego that I found used has a good price, yammy €400 more....
[/quote]

That's what Keith said I think? In relation to the above, your EUB must feel as close as possible to your DB, simple as that. Most EUBs feel nothing like a DB, which is why the Yamaha SLB-100 is so good, it feels like a DB. If you question was "what EUB sounds most like a DB", I would never suggest the Yamaha, at least not without some modifications. Personally I really regret selling my Yamaha, I love my Bespoke because it sounds amazing and almost feels like a DB, but it's nowhere as near as the SLB in this respect.

Other factors you need to take into account in using an EUB as practice for your DB are scale length, string height, bridge height, respective and relative height of individual strings (especially for arco), stop (D or E flat, can make a huge difference if like me you use your thumb as a guide for position shifts). In short, lots of things, and the more I list them the more the SLB becomes the obvious choice again!

Good luck

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1395569838' post='2403697']

Other factors you need to take into account in using an EUB as practice for your DB are scale length, string height, bridge height, respective and relative height of individual strings (especially for arco), stop (D or E flat, can make a huge difference if like me you use your thumb as a guide for position shifts). In short, lots of things, and the more I list them the more the SLB becomes the obvious choice again!

[/quote]

And that's for starters, I'm sure others will add to this list
C

I originally bought a Harley Benton EUB (yes I know) from Thomann when I wanted a near enough silent instrument when I couldn't play my saxophone. I now have an Archer 3/4 DB and the sax, loved though it is, is taking a sabbatical in the loft as I'm devoting my time to the bass. The two instruments aren't very alike in terms of size and feel so each is a different experience, but the fingerboard length is the same and I have the same strings on each so it's about as close as I can get on a budget. The EUB makes a great substitute when noise is an issue and as other have said is better than nothing.

I recently sold off my DB to get an EUB and bought an Aria SWB-04. I wanted something portable that I could practice on without waking the baby. This I have also sold on as it didn't have the same feel or sound to a real DB and despite being a great instrument, I just couldn't get on with it.