Why become a member? ×

***SOLD*** Fender 1957 Precision Bass - Clive Brown Restoration
£5000

Chiliwailer

If you haven't heard of Clive Brown, you really should check out the link below for pictures of this bass. He is without a doubt the UK's best relic artist, and works on the guitars of the stars. He is world renowned and known as an authority on vintage guitars. His work is so good that it continues to fool dealers and collectors alike. Clive has indicated he refinished the paint job on the bass via a stamp impressed into the wood in the control cavity. Clive uses the word 'restore' instead of 'refinish', if you see his work up close that makes sense.

Anyway, the bass.....

It's a gorgeous early 1957 Precision, made just before they changed the shape. I've spoken to Clive, he said that he refinished the bass and made a new pickguard for it. The rest appears original apart from a capacitor and couple of wires in the harness. The neck is simply amazing, the tone is clean, crisp and full and the bass is seriously light, weighing under 8lbs, which is rare for ash nowadays but typical for this period.

I took this on a part exchange from a friend who took a pre CBS Stratocaster from me. He's a vintage collector and had no idea it was a Clive Brown refinish until I spotted the stamp, it really is that good! I'd love to keep this bass, players 50's basses rarely come up for sale but I need to recoup the money from the Strat, which is [size=4]why I sold it in the first place. Sadly, I've got to let this one go.[/size]

Comes with covers and a Gator hard case.

Any questions, please feel free to PM me.

LINK TO PICTURES

[url="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wu6u805fvbnpipx/DL1NLvKyJT"]https://www.dropbox....pipx/DL1NLvKyJT[/url]

[attachment=158195:P57 (2).JPG]

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Brams77' timestamp='1395350666' post='2401552']
Holy crapppp!!!! ;) you have some gear my boy!
[/quote]

Haha!!!!

If only I did my friend, this one is just well needed cash to me right now!!!

The irony eh? I've always wanted one yet need to pull in some cash. Selling the Strat was easy, selling this is a bummer. :([size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1395350769' post='2401555']

Haha!!!!

If only I did my friend, this one is just well needed cash to me right now!!!

The irony eh? I've always wanted one yet need to pull in some cash. Selling the Strat was easy, selling this is a bummer. :([size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

Wow I'm really sorry to hear that, I'm sure you put this on ebay aswell?...

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1395387089' post='2401793']
No, this one hasn't been on there yet, trying to avoid that one!
[/quote] Yep avoid that like the plague with a bass costing this much the ebay fees will be a killer ....but on a positive note wow really stunning bass GLWTS

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1395387732' post='2401797']
Yep avoid that like the plague with a bass costing this much the ebay fees will be a killer ....but on a positive note wow really stunning bass GLWTS
[/quote]

Absolutely, and as they make you link Paypal too those fee's alone would be £170!

More than happy to discount those fee's to a Basschatter instead. :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='davedave' timestamp='1395415410' post='2402228']
Oof! That's a stunning bass mate. Back to the top for you.

How deep is the neck out of interest?
[/quote]

Cheers pal. It's a deep neck, nice and chunky and it sits in the hand absolutely perfectly. From others I've played, it appears that the necks on these got thinner a few months after this one was made. These are like the ones on the 1955 Custom Shop models if you've ever played one.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1395387732' post='2401797']
Yep avoid that like the plague with a bass costing this much the ebay fees will be a killer ....but on a positive note wow really stunning bass GLWTS
[/quote]
Aren't they capped at £75 ?

Just to chime in here, I had an Oly white '61 Jazz bass with the body refinished by Clive Brown and it fooled a guy who is a vintage Jazz expert!

When he was looking at it, I gave nothing away. - our conversation went something like this:

Him: "So this is all original, right? Pots are original...?"
Me: "Yes... All original..."
Him: "You've had the neck off of course?"
Me: "Yup, it's late '61"
Him: "Beautiful...I love the way the finish has aged too"
Me: "You won't believe it, but it's a refin..."
Him, "No no...it can't be...the yellowed colour fade is right...the wear looks like real wear... Are you sure this is a refin?"

Well, you get the idea...

GLWTS!

[quote name='JonnyM' timestamp='1395483021' post='2402883']
Just to chime in here, I had an Oly white '61 Jazz bass with the body refinished by Clive Brown and it fooled a guy who is a vintage Jazz expert!

GLWTS!
[/quote]

Haha, great story!

Sadly, it won't be the first or last story like this. But Clive really is that good and makes them look absolutely spot on. For example, Clive was telling me that due to the way Fender stained the wood differently in the 50's and 60's the 50's Fender's don't fade as much under the pickguard as the 60's ones so he makes the colour less faded on 50's ones, like this bass. Every detail is accounted for, what a legend and a genius!

[quote name='louseskaman' timestamp='1396053681' post='2409593']
oh my :shok: :shok: ..........absolutely stunning!!!!! GLWTS
[/quote]

Cheers Paul, even better in the 'flesh'!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1396055996' post='2409603']
WOW. i remember Marcus Mlller playing a 57 live on a vid, and it sounded so cool.
[/quote]

Thanks, sure sounds cool when I play it too, though that's more down to the bass than my playing!

• 2 weeks later...

What a super bass. How times and fashions change - I bought my 58 EB2 for £80 and sold it for £160. Seems unreal now..... the late 70s were unreal looking back, Marshall 100W, Hiwatt 100s , 200s dirt cheap, all passed through my hands. At least I tried them.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1397166243' post='2421508']
What a super bass. How times and fashions change - I bought my 58 EB2 for £80 and sold it for £160. Seems unreal now..... the late 70s were unreal looking back, Marshall 100W, Hiwatt 100s , 200s dirt cheap, all passed through my hands. At least I tried them.
[/quote]

Ooh, nice basses those early EB-2's. I was playing a '59 EB-2n recently, a natural one which is 1 of 90 made, stunning sound and super cool but costs a small fortune :(

Absolutely can't believe this is still here; a genuine '57 for modern custom shop money.
I came within a whisker of a trade deal for this (but found I just couldn't let my '65 P go....), but have dealt with Dan and have to say he's a total gent to do business with :)