Why become a member? ×

£150 Jazz body Bass with DiMarzio MM replacement Humbucker!
£200

IainRoberts

[b]PRICE DROP!!! £150[/b]

Reluctant to sell but deserves to be played!

The clear out begins, now that there is a mini me in the world just 6 months old I'm going to be moving on some of my gear so that it gets the play it deserves!

Here is a Japanese Jazz bass in a gorgeous deep red stain. It was my work horse since 1996! (until the Ibanez musician came along!)

I do not know the make but would date it somewhere from the 1980s, possibly Matsumoko, if anybody can shed some light on it please do :)

Fitted with a DiMarzio humbucker (which required a larger hole behind the scratchplate, not pretty but it fits and sounds great!)

Going for £150 or nearest offer, any questions please do ask.

Cheers

Edited by IainRoberts

Sorry, but almost certainly not Matsumoku. Mid-70s bass, (my first bass was a 2-pickup version of this in '78) these appeared with a few different brands & like many generic designs were probably made by several different different factories. Bridge is an upgrade too, the original would likely have been a 2-saddle job.

Is the body solid timber or laminate? Mine was ply, but your bass has other differences from mine - looks like yours has a mahogany neck, mine was maple.

Anyway, interesting old bass - not too many of these around any more. Good luck with the sale!

Jon.

Thanks Jon, appreciate the info. You've got a good eye! Yep it is a ply body with a really nice stained finish to it.

I'm part tempted to hold on to it but the ibanez is being played mostly these days so it really should find a new home.

I guess I've had it so long it kind of feels like a part of me :-(

Whoever does buy it I want update photos from gigs! :-)

Middle of the night bump for those who too had too much coffee while working late...you might say "bump in the night!"

I just couldn't resist saying that! Bump in the night...haha...ok way too obvious, wonder how many times people have used that one :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Iain how does the bass sound and have you tried the carbon neck (p of j width?)
Love that DiMarz as I had one in an old bass and imagine it's more defined in the middle position. Is the bass regular scale length?

Cheers

Edited by krispn

Hey there, thanks for getting in touch.

I shall swiftly reply before getting back to work!

For a sound clip, a rather old recording can be heard from a band I was in back in....1996 (giving my age away a bit there!)
It is on www.burniton.org and it is on the song "Let Me In" by Easy.

Gratuitous plug of a side project, it's early days and I'm still building the website but got to start somewhere!

Anyway, that is how it sounds. The Dimarz is a great pickup. I know the choice for basses in this price range is huge, I'm hoping the pickup helps!

As for a carbon neck, I haven't fitted this particular bass with one yet.
A little background about myself (I have divulged in other topics on here before) I construct Olympic Skeleton Bobsleds. This stemmed from when I was racing and now help other athletes too :)

Part of the construction involves composite materials and over the years I have been approached to make all sorts of weird and wonderful things out of carbon fibre, including snare drums, acoustic guitars and replacement necks.

Most of my time tends to be taken up with the sports equipment so I don't make many instruments and tend to be on a commission basis. If there was interest to have this bass fitted then it could be an option :)

I must say on a similar note, I am impressed by the Miller up for sale on here too and very tempted to make a similar beast!

Hope that helps, and back to work!

LOL No probs. Actually the experimental part of me would like to jave this, hear it as it is. Then maybe add another humbucker at the edge of the pick guard. Change the pg to a pearlescent white one.....

I daren't though. I bought another bass yesterday.

Glwts

That looks great, good luck with your sale.

The body and neck look very similar to my "Teisco": http://basschat.co.uk/topic/228476-new-life-for-my-teisco-jazz-bass/page__fromsearch__1

[quote name='IainRoberts' timestamp='1398951151' post='2439333']
haha all good ideas :) I'm a fan of the deep red stain and black pick guard :)

Well if you change your mind and feel like embarking on that project you know were it is!
Out of interest, what have you just acquired?
[/quote]
I've just got a Warwick Streamer LX4 fretless. Certainly vrry pleased with it. :)

[quote name='antnee' timestamp='1398974092' post='2439668']
That looks great, good luck with your sale.

The body and neck look very similar to my "Teisco": [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/228476-new-life-for-my-teisco-jazz-bass/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks, certainly looks a similar breed! :)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1398977025' post='2439725']
I've just got a Warwick Streamer LX4 fretless. Certainly vrry pleased with it. :)
[/quote]

Very nice! A Warwick is one I've never actually owned, but always love to play when I get the chance.
My fretless is an old Vigier arpege deltametal and I love the range of sounds from it! (If only it was an unlined model so people knew I didn't need to look at my hands :rolleyes: )

• 2 weeks later...