Why become a member? ×

DSL Leather Strap

ZXRRDave

Just a quick thread on the Strap I picked up at the Great British Guitar Show. It's a leather item made by an Australian company called 'DSL'. The leather is a nice close grain and the strap is well made with the stitching and finish even and no blemishes in the hide.

I got the strap for my Epiphone thunderbird in an effort to counteract the two disadvantages of the bass - firstly, it's bloomin heavy and the basic nylon webbing strap which came with it isn't cushioned so after a little while practicing my shoulder begins to ache (it doesn't help that my left shoulder was crushed in a motorcycle accident when I was younger so is susceptible to this anyway). The strap isn't what you'd call heavily padded, however it is wider and there is a small degree of padding there, which is sufficient to overcome the primary issue.

Secondly, the thunderbird is prone to a certain amount of nose dive due to it's shape and the position of the strap buttons. The strap is a fair bit 'grippier' than the nylon one, which secures the position of the bass in normal playing circumstances, meaning you can play more naturally without supporting the bass with the left hand whilst trying to navigate the fretboard.

The strap wasn't cheap, however at £40 it certainly wasn't the price of some straps I've seen of a lower quality. Finally, it came with a little added extra which is one of those 'why hasn't anyone thought of that before' things. It's a small leather clip which you put through one of the spare strap button holes of the tail end with the keyring element, you then have a pop fastener that holds your lead rather than tucking it through the strap itself. when you want to unplug, pop and it's clear.

I know a strap isn't the most important thing in the world, but since I've started using the strap the instrument has been in a better position and more stable, allowing me to concentrate on the learning process. It's well worth the money I paid for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought the key ring's were for holding picks? but what you've done with it is pretty nifty! :P

I've got the Lemmy/Iron Cross strap but all of the emblems have peeled off, bit strange they didn't sew them on. ho hum, super glue sorted it out!

Wouldn't hesitate getting another, super soft and comfy! :D