Why become a member? ×

Transporting DB

nugget

I guess this is gonna be the most stupid question in the history of BC, I’m cringing even typing it!!

So I’ve got a estate which is backed to the brim with PA gear (wife sings) and hardly any room for the bass gear. Now she want to also do a rock n roll band with a DB and will not even think about EUB, so how the heck do I get that in the car as well??

Is there any good WATERPROOF hardcases/ flightcases that could be attached to a roof rack, that don’t cost as much as a cheap old van????

I don’t wanna buy a van as the car is company car with free fuel etc and can’t afford to get another vehicle and pay insurance tax etc etc etc unless I have too. Did think about shoving the PA in a trailer but that's a pain in the arse to park as some venues are in city centres with crap parking

I don't think this is a stupid question but then I've been around long enough to have seen a couple crop up, usually in off topic! My thoughts are as follows (pending someone with a better idea popping up). The DB is a huge part of the image of rock n roll so as practical as an EUB is (and I am often dreaming as one whilst descending stairs after midnight) most bands will want you on an old fashioned looking upright bass. Advertise in Items Wanted on here for a flight case as brand new they are pricey but also start scouring EBay. The alternative would be to either divide the kit up with other band mates or wrap some waterproofing like tarpaulin around a gig bag and stick that on the roof rack. There are basses that fold up too but I fear this might not solve your issues. I think this is an interesting thread, good luck resolving the problem.

It seems to me that as your wife is the one insisting on using a DB then it's her that needs to move aside to make room for it.
It would be a lot cheaper putting a seat up on the roof rack for her than buying a waterproof DB case for up there!

:P :D

Sorry.

It don't know if you can get a fully waterproof case but if you can it will be expensive, and possible extremes of temperature may be an issue.

For years and years, my double bass (a german factory bass) was transported to gigs on the roof rack of my old mans car, in a gig bag and wrapped in a tarpaulin, tied to the rack with ropes and bungees. It survived the exposure intact.

Someone else we knew, who also transported his bass this way, made the mistake of driving his car straight into the garage with predictable results, but that wasn't a problem for us as our garage was always full of junk and there was no room to fit a car.

In those days the roof box didn't exist. Nowadays you might find one big enough to put a DB in.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1395686647' post='2405127']
Get the company to offer a splitter van as a company car option. :ph34r:
[/quote]

Well...... they just changed us from lovely posh vito vans to crappy insignia estates, ohh how my boss liked my incessant whinging when I found out

How big is the PA? And could it be downsized? I have a Peugoet 5008 which is an estate sized 7 seater. I can fit a fairly large Peavey PA (2x HiSys 115XTs + 3u Power Amp + small mixer), my 3/4 double bass and my backline in it and still fit 2 passengers.

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1395702652' post='2405414']
And your roof will probably collapse: the buggar is super heavy!!
[/quote]

That's a shock. They're supposed to be under 50lbs so you don't pay excess weight on planes.

Well I'm not the Incredible Hulk but it seems heavy to me. Probably not heavy enough to get overcharged on planes, but I' sure that the act of putting it on the roof of a car will cause a fair few dents. Ok I realise that writing it would make the roof collapse was a wild exaggeration: I am prone to those...