Why become a member? ×

Stripping a poly finish. Does this work?

Owen

stripping poly - yuck yuck yuck.
sell the bass and buy the same one with the finish you want. In the long run it's easier!

yes it does work but still doesn't mean it's easy, or will work properly, depending on the wood, the finsih, the sealer used, the end grain, the god awful piece of crap you discover under the nice finish, oh look it's soft wood and i've just scratched it with my scraper.... ohh theirs a burn mark....

mind you I did one bass body by holding it over our gas hob.

It is not a bass (sorry sorry sorry sorry) but a Fender Modern Player Marauder which I picked up for frankly pennies. I have always wanted a CA red with matching headstock instrument and the time is now. It plays realy nicely so am inclined to hold onto it.

.... and you don't need a book to tell you how. The pics you've seen tell you all you need to know, apart from: go easy on the heat or you'll char the wood.

And... be prepared to find the body of your bass isn't wood, but block-board or plywood. The makers keep the ones with the sexy grain for the basses that show the grain. The boring ones get painted.

Use a heat gun with a variable heat setting like the DeWalt and you won't scorch anything, it takes a little longet with the heat right down. If you use a new scraper then file the corners into a smooth round as it is these bits that score the wood. Plasterers use this trick on their trowels. If you are going to finish with a solid Candy Apple colour then it wont matter too much you can fill any dings, if you intend using a translucent colour then be more careful.

• 1 year later...

Pah! Just read the link again....I wish....just spent half an hour with a heat gun on a sadly tatty Les Paul Junior double cut (with a poly finish) it removed nothing...not a jot....need a plan b now as this stuff would survive a nuclear blast!

I did this recently with a heat gun and scrapper and it worked, I did burn the wood a little bit and got a tad carried away with the scrapper once or twice but if you are painting it a solid colour it's easy enough to fix.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1395781507' post='2406321']
Use a heat gun with a variable heat setting like the DeWalt and you won't scorch anything, it takes a little longet with the heat right down. If you use a new scraper then file the corners into a smooth round as it is these bits that score the wood. Plasterers use this trick on their trowels. If you are going to finish with a solid Candy Apple colour then it wont matter too much you can fill any dings, if you intend using a translucent colour then be more careful.
[/quote]

I wish I knew this beforehand, great tips.

Heat gun and scraper worked fine for me both times. Tried nitromors on both refinish projects and on both attempts it was a waste of £14 and a few days. With My more recent stingray project, used a heat gun and scraper and had the bass to the wood in an hour or so.

One thing that has got me intrigued though, is one I'm following on Facebook. Tony Kanal (of No Doubt fame) is having his yammy refinished. There's photos going up of the whole process and the guy stripping his just set it on fire. Not brave enough to try that myself though.

Edited by Jimryan