Why become a member? ×

Alternatives for Thomastik flatwounds on shortscale bass ?

pdw

I have recently bought a short scale Squier Musicmaster with a through-body string configuration.
I would like to put Thomastik flatwounds on it, because I have been using these for years on my Precision bass and I like the smooth feel, low tension and bright tone. Unfortunately, these Thomastik Jazz Flats are rather expensive, so I was wondering whether there are cheaper alternatives available with similar characteristics ?

I have been looking around and so far I have found these possible alternatives that will fit a short scale bass, although without being able to test them.

Pyramid Gold

D'Addario ENR71S half rounds

GHS "Brite flats"

Has anyone of you ever tried one of these strings ? Or could you recommend me any other sets to try ?

I've used Pyramid Golds and [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]D'Addario ENR71S half rounds, but my experience is limited to a few hours with each.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Pyramid Golds are the closest to TIs, with very similar feel and tone, just a bit more tension - t[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]hey are also expensive though.[/font][/color]

The [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]D'Addario ENR71S half rounds are also nice strings, but higher tension again. [/font][/color]

Edited by redstriper

I have tried all of those. Brite Flats and the D'Addarios are similar in that they are not a true flatwound, they are rounds ground down to be smooth. D'Addarios are a bit rougher and brighter than the GHS. I like Brite Flats on fretless, but now using Status half rounds on there as they are cheaper and easier to get hold of... and perhaps even better.

I LOVE Pyramid flats though. Those and TI's are my favourite flatwounds ever. Pyramids feel a bit more solid, slippery, and have a mellower sound than the TIs.

I've not tried them on a shortie, but I would be tempted go Pyramid. They are expensive though, similar price to TIs, but they will last forever(ish)!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1395754038' post='2405799']
D'Addario tapewounds have low tension and a sound which is flatwound-ish but at the brighter end of that. Perhaps those would do the job?
[/quote]
But those have a nylon coating, don't they ?

I think the cost of TI jazz flats is relative. Just think how long they last. I have an very old set on one bass that still have a good sound to them.

Other than that, as others have suggested Status Hotwires halfwounds and D'Addario halfs but they have higher tension

[quote name='pdw' timestamp='1395773842' post='2406159']
But those have a nylon coating, don't they ?
[/quote]

Yes, they do. Though they don't feel that unusual - I'd say that in terms of surface texture they're less of a jump from flatwounds than half-wounds are. If your criteria are smooth feel, low tension and still retaining some brightness, they fit those quite well.

[quote name='pdw' timestamp='1395773877' post='2406160']
Can you tell me why not ?
[/quote]

For me they were neither like rounds or flats and something in-between and also slightly higher tension than I like... they didn't do the rounds thing well or flats thing.
Tried them on a fretted then fretless and they just didn't work for me.

• 2 weeks later...

For me there are only two types of strings: TI flats & everything else. I have tried alternatives to TIs but I don't get the bounce thats TIs give me that make them so enjoyable to play fingerstyle. I have sets of JF324, the 32" set, on a Fender mustang bass (thru body) & a Squier Jag SS (fitted with a hi-mass toploading bridge) which is my main bass for playing at home, rehearsals and gigs. I have had no problems with the strings on either of these 30" instruments and even though the set on the jag cost almost a quarter of what I paid the bass, the long life of the strings means that this is not important. I first tried TI 344s on one of my precisions well over ten years ago & the original set is still going strong on that bass.

The TI's are stupidly expensive, also the B string is huge.

Status flats are OK.

I like the D'Addario half round ones. Quite expensive but they do sound really nice, have good longevity and have a nice tension, not as floppy as the Status, but just nice.

• 1 month later...

To restate what Jean-Luc said above, does it matter what the TIs cost? You will have spent many, many times that amount in other strings, and the TIs will still be going on. And on. I do take good care of mine (they ARE expensive!), and this simply guarantees that they'll last a geological age or so.

Edited by Telebass

La Bella have a range of flats in short and medium scale plus they have special ones designed for thru-body stringing.

They also have 3-4 different gauges in each length as well.

Not all dealers hold them but they can be ordered - we recently got a really obscure 6 string baritone set specifically designed for a Shergold with a bridge fitted half way up the body!