Why become a member? ×

Gibson EB 5 string!

skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1396004360' post='2408843']
Partly true. It is a 2014 model but doesn't feature the 120th anniversary bits because it was carried over from last years production due to delays. The serial indicates it is a 2014 model :-)
[/quote]

I really should know by now never to talk about Gibson in absolutes, those crazy, contradictory eejits ;) To satisfy my curiosity would you be so kind as to tell me if the serial number is the usual coded one (YDDDY(N)NNN) which Gibson normally use, or is it the "special" 2014 scheme (14 + sequential number)?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1396002786' post='2408817']
Surely the neck would be finished in a clear coat over the top of the colour? That's how all my basses are done.
[/quote]

There is a clear coat over the top of the colour on the body, but it's super thin over metallic so it isn't smooth to the touch, or at least not as smooth as I'd like a neck to be.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1396004760' post='2408853']

I really should know by now never to talk about Gibson in absolutes, those crazy, contradictory eejits ;) To satisfy my curiosity would you be so kind as to tell me if the serial number is the usual coded one (YDDDY(N)NNN) which Gibson normally use, or is it the "special" 2014 scheme (14 + sequential number)?
[/quote]

It was the usual coded one (not the special/Gibson custom sequential serial) but as the bass now has a new home. I couldn't tell you exactly what it was.

If Gibson could manage to just do some properly planned production for just a year, it would make things much easier for us all lol.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1396006635' post='2408889']
Very nice, might have to stroll into town for a catch-up Skej!
[/quote]

I'll not be in today im afraid. I've been away gigging so im not back until tomorrow. Hope you're good though :-)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1395989648' post='2408624']

*GRIN* All gibson need to do for me, is to make a 5-string thunderbird with 60s pickups under chrome covers and a two piece bridge, and I might just forgive them for Opcode and buy one.
[/quote]

I think Mike Lull may have heard you

[Img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/Ghost_Upon_The_Stage/Mobile%20Uploads/T5Front590_zpsqoyxcafs.jpeg" class="ipsImage" />

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1396304243' post='2412207']
I Think I may be the proud new owner of this bass. Having done a bit of a Sherlock Holmes routine, I think its heading in a Lichfield direction....If so.....VERY EXCITED...
[/quote]

I think so! How are you finding it?

Its a great piece of kit. Nearly everything about it is different to what I am used to.... Shape, neck, sound, feel... but different is good !!!!!! I have been mucking about with it for a few hours now, and it has grown on me so quickly. Really REALLY like this bass, And for the money...An American made Gibson, with case, and complete individuality wherever you play......WHAT..... Just amazing.

• 2 years later...

I got a new 5 stringer EB Fireburst yesterday.

Wow - about covers it. Those DeCola pickups are something truly special - awesome tone. Coupled with the Babicz and super-low (and buzz free) easy to play action results in a fabulous instrument. It's substantially lighter than my MM Stingray into the bargain - cumulating in a bass of seductive delights so intense that I don't want to put it down.

And I love the satin fireburst finish - it looks elegant and feels beautiful to the touch. I am hugely impressed.

Although listeners would probably be much less impressed with my ability on a 5r. :D

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1395945180' post='2408306']

Neepheid is quite right. I mean the back of the neck. I can understand why bolt-on neck instruments do it (even though I don't like the look of it), but to go to all the trouble to deliberately mask off the neck and have it not matching the edges of the body seems ludicrous to me. It wouldn't have to be sunburst - simply a continuation of the colour at the the point the neck joins the body would be suitably aesthetically pleasing.

Nothing wrong with a gold neck on a gold bodied bass IMO:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC00292_zpse1b3fa8e.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone know what gauge of strings Gibson use on these and who makes them?

I now have a four and a fiver - so gauges for both would be ideal.

Apart from planning for string changes, I'm also trying to work out why the four string is harder to play than the five. There seems to be more tension in the strings, so wobble and bend are more difficult to deliver, and the percussive nature of slap is also reduced.