Why become a member? ×

NBD - 1975 Hayman 4040

discreet

[b]NBD- 1975 Hayman 4040[/b]

A bit of history, first[size=4]: 'The Hayman Company was formed in 1969 when Jim Burns and Ivor Arbiter went into partnership. Also involved was Bob Pearson from Vox (designer of the Phantom range) and two former Burns colleagues, Jack Golder and Norman Holder, who took care of the woodworking and truss rod engineering.[/size]

'Hayman produced three guitar designs but the 4040 was the only bass. Something of a heavyweight, these basses were good to play however and produced sounds somewhere between a P-Bass and a Rickenbacker. Each Superflux pickup had eight adjustable screw pole pieces so it was easy to balance the output from the strings, and they benefited from the hidden vibrasonic chamber beneath. Joint string trees neatly feed the strings from nut to tuners.

'The bridge was a curious affair with a clear plastic anchor and the steel saddles on a separate plate. The slab body had minimal curving to the body edge front and back and the overall shape is similar to the early Wal Pro basses that would appear a little later on. The neck was fixed using a standard 4-bolt plate with a separate chromed plate displaying the serial number. Lefties were made to order. The company morphed into Shergold, controlled by Golder and Holder, after Jim Burns pulled out.

'The confusion as to when production finished is due to their serial numbering system, which suggests some Hayman basses appeared in 1975. [size=4]The Hayman brand name was applied to instruments distributed by Dallas Arbiter until termination of the contract in 1975. From 1975 to 1982 their guitars and basses appeared under their own 'Shergold' brand.'[/size]

[size=4]So there you have it. When I acquired this 1975 Hayman it was in a fairly sorry state - the body was originally sunburst but was painted black on the front, and it was [i]not [/i]a great finish, tbh. Also, the neck had been de-fretted and was bowed, banana-like, making it unplayable and leaving the action way high at the mid-point. BUT, the electrics and hardware were in good order and unusually, the perspex bridge anchor block was undamaged - which was a big plus.[/size]

[size=4][/size]
[i][size=4]The bass in its original state[/size][/i]

[i][size=4][/size][/i]
[i][size=4]An original perspex 'H' logo[/size][/i]

[size=4]Long story short, The Bass Doc refinished the body (in vintage white, of course), removed the neck binding, lightly planed the fingerboard (to give some natural back-bow), carried out a re-fret, fitted new binding, re-lacquered the neck [/size][size=4]with a vintage tint and laboriously sorted out the truss rod so that it worked properly. And I think you would agree he's done a great job, to say the least.[/size]

[size=4]The 'H' logo featured on these basses was originally of perspex, which fitted into a round hole in the headstock and were notorious for going AWOL - they are as rare as rocking-horse teeth. So I asked our resident silversmith, Ian Halstead (known in this parish as ShergoldSnickers) if he would consider making a replica in sterling silver. He did and I am delighted with the results. It is the icing on the cake and makes an already rare bass much rarer. The 'Build Diary' for the 'H' logo is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/225298-replacement-hayman-logo-in-silver/page__p__2392508__hl__silver%20logo__fromsearch__1#entry2392508"]here[/url].[/size]

[size=4]And now some pics:[/size]

This has become my go-to bass - which is not to detract any from my Custom P Bass (another Bass Doc creation - pics [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169698-my-custom-precision-has-landed/page__hl__has%20landed"]here[/url]), it's just that I'm now fully into the fury of twin pickups thrumming and roaring away in the band - to the extent that I toyed with the idea of having the P fitted with a 'J' pickup at the bridge (by The Bass Doc, naturally) but I came to my senses and decided against it.

Many thanks and eternal gratitude to Ash, who very kindly supplied the project bass, Howard (The Bass Doc) and Ian (ShergoldSnickers) for the skill, dedication and sheer hard work that has brought this iconic British bass back to life. Thanks, guys! The bass is fantastic to play, sounds amazing and I couldn't be happier with the result. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1395921686' post='2407918']
I'm intrigued by the pickup configuration and what it must sound like? Likey. :)
[/quote]

I thank you. :) The neck pup is 'not-quite a P Bass' and the bridge pup is 'not-quite a R*ck*nB*ck*r', but together they are something else entirely and the sound is greater than the sum of those parts. Present, every note audible, but with a lot of heft. Very addictive!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1395924288' post='2407953']
Judging by the additional screw holes/fixtures the bass originally came with pickup covers?
[/quote]

It did! They were the same smoked perspex as the pickguard. Well, it was the 70s... :)
They too are rare as a rare thing and can't be got for any money.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395924772' post='2407966']
It did! They were the same smoked perspex as the pickguard. Well, it was the 70s... :)
They too are rare as a rare thing and can't be got for any money.

[/quote]

Wow! :D Foam mutes under the bridge cover?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395926239' post='2408002']
I can imagine. Such beasts do come up on the Bay now and then, though... :)
[/quote]

True, I might create a 'saved search' for Shergold Marathon's on Ebay.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1395926654' post='2408012']
True, I might create a 'saved search' for Shergold Marathon's on Ebay.
[/quote]

I've done just that, Dave - but it does put quite a lot of temptation one's way, so be warned. :D

Edited by discreet

This brings back all those memories of Wardour St, Tottenham Court Rd an' all. Not all joyful, of course, but part of 'back then'. Wonderful restoration; congratulations on even thinking of keeping such an iconic instrument in the modern world. I'll not be the only one to ask for sound files, surely..? A few action pics in a band context would be superb, too. Asking too much..? Surely, but I'm not especially shy..!
I mostly associate the Hayman name with their drums, which sounded to me at the time like steel oil canisters.They too have become collector items. :huh:
Great work by all, and great posts about the project. Thanks for sharing. B)

Beautiful - great to see the old girl restored! The tone on these basses is amazing just goes to prove that classic basses don't necessarily have to be made in the USA. Thanks for sharing. Being a one time owner of this bass I can vouch for the condition of it prior to restoration and this is a top class job. Well done! :)

That is a machine to be proud of! Beautiful work by all concerned. My favourite colour combo too. A few people earlier have mentioned about being outbid on one on ebay last week. I never bid but give it serious thought, I decided to refrain due to concerns over what Mrs Dunc would do to my n*ads. May yours remain intact. Thanks for the invite.

Cheers

Dunc

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1395930201' post='2408091']
I decided to refrain due to concerns over what Mrs Dunc would do to my n*ads. May yours remain intact.
[/quote]

[size=4]If the current mrs discreet had any idea of what I've spent she'd carry my nads around in her handbag til the end of time! :unsure:[/size]

Edited by discreet

Ah, you've ruined it.....
I told you not to put those nasty speed bumps in it ;)

(Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,
Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,
Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,
Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone
,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone
,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,Idon'twantone,)

I do a bit

(edited for linebreaks, muppet)

Edited by Dave Vader