Why become a member? ×

Recording into a laptop

Si600

The "singer" in our "band" and I use the quotes because he's not a great singer and we're a particularly poor band, no drummer and only playing along to the record :o Though we're going to be doing the finding a drummer thing soon, anyone know anyone? :P

Anyway, back on topic, he has a Behringer UB1204-Pro and last night I started playing with it with the intention of at least getting the bass and guitar tracks down so that we can listen back and see if it sounds as good as it does in our heads.

I got the line out from both amps into the mixer and then used an RCA L-R to 3.5 jack lead plugged in from tape out on the mixer into the microphone port on the laptop. It didn't like this very much so we stopped.

What am I missing to be able to record from the mixer onto my laptop?

It wasn't, but when I plugged the RCA cables into the desk and the laptop my combo started whistling. With either end of the cable unplugged it went away. The mixer was sat on top of my combo as somewhere to put it. As I didn't want to break anything we unplugged it all and put it away but I'd still like to get something done next time we get together.

• 4 weeks later...

Good call that man. I borrowed the mixer to play with at home. A lot of the noise was coming from the power supply. but I can't get anything if I plug my GK MB500 Fusion into it using a normal instrument lead from Line Out into the Mixer 1/4" input on channel 1 unless I wind the gain on the channel up so far it's just recording noise.

Am I doing it wrong by using a normal lead instead of an XLR cable, but if I do, what happens when we start using the phantom power on the desk to run microphones?

Early days yet, should I be looking for something to convert the RCA to USB rather than the microphone port on the laptop and recording on something other than Audacity?

Anyway, [url="https://soundcloud.com/simon-orchard/track-1"]here[/url] is something wot I recorded, bass-mixer-laptop. Sorry for the scruffy playing and ignore the couple of fluffs :)

Edited by Si600

Laptops can be quite noisy in electrical terms and you'll probably have a better analogue to digital converter with an outboard unit connecting via USB as you've mentioned. The line-out signal from the mixer is probably too high for the mic-in on the laptop.

• 4 months later...

.. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2 in 2 out) hardware soundcard + driver ... cheap, effective, has everything. Even works seamlessly with Linux.

U can use it as your only PC soundcard for everything else too.

I commented on an Audacity question just now, and the two are completely compatible in Windows or Linux

Cheers.. :-)

Edited by hughie