Why become a member? ×

Cab problem

paisleyboy66

Hi. I use Laney Richter 4x10 8ohms 400 watt cab( red Truvox 1018 speakers) with an Ashdown Mag 410 4x10 8ohm 450 watt cab(8 ohm 150 watt Ashdown speakers) with a Hartke Ha3500 bass head (240w at 8ohm,350w at 4ohm). My prob is the Ashdown cab is much quieter than the Laney cab (at least half the volume). All speakers are working.I don't understand why the difference in output. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

[quote name='paisleyboy66' timestamp='1396206943' post='2411000']...Any help would be much appreciated...[/quote]

Good evening, paisleyboy66, and welcome to the forum...

You've detailed the technical aspects of your cabs pretty well, but the explanation comes from the info you've not given. Every speaker will give a specific volume level driven by a specific signal, so that they may be compared. It's the efficiency which tells us how 'loud' it will be. A speaker with 90 db efficiency will produce less volume than another with 100 db efficiency (all other aspects being equal...). In your case, I'd suggest that the Ashdown speakers are simply less efficient than the Laney ones. This does not mean that they are inferior, just that they will give out less volume than another, more efficient, speaker. Perhaps you could do a search on each speaker's specification to check..?
If this is causing you problems, I'm afraid that the bad news is that there is little to nothing to be done to balance the two cabs up.
Hope this helps; subject to correction, completion and/or contradiction from others...

I was also going to suggest speaker/cabinet efficiency and with a little browsing found the following:

Ashdown MAG410T SPL 101dB/W @ 1m

Laney Richter RB410 Sensitivity 98dB/W @ 1m

which seems to suggest that the Ashdown ought to be louder than the Laney... but of course it's possible that each manufacturer gives the best (highest) number at a particular frequency (which will be different from one cab to the other).

Anyway, what you've effectively proven is the rule that it's best to match cabinets both by manufacturer and driver configuration... unfortunately you're only halfway there :(

[quote name='paisleyboy66' timestamp='1396206943' post='2411000']
Hi. I use Laney Richter 4x10 8ohms 400 watt cab( red Truvox 1018 speakers) with an Ashdown Mag 410 4x10 8ohm 450 watt cab(8 ohm 150 watt Ashdown speakers) with a Hartke Ha3500 bass head (240w at 8ohm,350w at 4ohm). My prob is the Ashdown cab is much quieter than the Laney cab (at least half the volume). All speakers are working.I don't understand why the difference in output. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
[/quote]
I'm deaf in one ear. :)

What's the problem?

The 20 LN and 25 KN might be date of manufacture codes for the speakers (for example, with Celestions the speaker date code is printed on the cone). As has already been mentioned the difference in volume from one cabinet to the other is likely due to the difference in both design and speakers used; however, you might wish to check the cab impedances just to be sure both are presenting an 8 ohm load.

[quote name='paisleyboy66' timestamp='1396293530' post='2412013']
without wanting to sound stupid,(but why change now! :D ),....Cables,Phase???.sorry dont understand,... :blink:
how exactly would i use a multimeter on speakers??..........thanks again.............
[/quote]

One speaker alone moves air. Two in proximity also, but if one is moving forward whilst the other moves back, a lot to the sound (air moved...) gets cancelled out. In a cab, all cones should all move in the same direction at the same time. If one is 'out of phase' (ie: moving in the opposite direction to its neighbours...), volume drops greatly, especially in the bass frequencies.
All cabs are made so that all is in phase. It could be, however, that someone has inverted a connection somewhere (or an error in the factory..!). A simple cable wrongly connected could be the cause.
If you don't know how to check this stuff, or use a multimeter (I assume you've not got one, then..?), get someone who knows to help you, and learn from them. It's not dangerous (at least, not if we stick to speaker cabs...), and we can talk you through it, but it may be for nowt, and would be far quicker with a connoisseur at your side.
Hope this helps.

[quote name='paisleyboy66' timestamp='1396206943' post='2411000']
Thanks!
[/quote]

As Dad3353 has already pointed out, it's likely that the speakers in the Ashdown are simply less efficient. When you say the Ashdown is quieter, is that with both cabs running at the same time, or have you done a comparison running one at a time?

• 2 weeks later...