Why become a member? ×

Tobias Killer B 5 "preGibson" Pricedrop !!
£1400

brummpa

[b]Pricedrop - last Price - 1350,- Euro - if not i will keep it[/b]

now again on sale, a Killerbass ..

Hi,

i am selling my Tobias Killer B 5.
I called it "preGibson" because it's a so called "transitional" Bass ... here is the answer i got from a former Tobias-Staffmember

[quote]
Hi Volker,

Your Tobias is most likely Gibson assembled bass made from woodwork done by the
(Mike) Tobias crew at the shop in Burbank Ca. We made up a bunch of necks and bodies
to be used for the start up of Nashville Production in June 1992 (I believe). Your
s/n 00708182 was of the same style as we used in Burbank and it was after our blanks
(That is what we called a bass that had not gotten to the spray finish stage and was
rough wood work) were sent to Nashville. The S/N suggests that it was the 7th bass
in that run from August 18th 1992.

The short answer to your question is the bass was most likely made in Burbank by
Mike and the crew and finished and assembles in NashVegas by the Gibblet boys and
girls. It was a transitional bass imo...

BL
[/quote]

i am the first and only Owner of this lovely Bass, i bought it in the early nineties in Portland/Oregon.
It come with the original Case.

I changed the org. Bart tct electronis, now there is a Aguilar OBP-3 installed with Mid-Selection. This gave the bass a very nice tone, it sounds fantastic. I will include the former tct, so the buyer can get the original state.

For a bass which is 22 Years old, it is in very good shape, ther are only a few things ..
The bridge has "lost" its black colour, see the pictures
The plastic for the Neck-trussrod is a liite bit broken.
there is a crack on the Body, where the Neck is mounted, that was already there when i bought the Bass and has never any Influence in Tone or Function. i even don't know if it is only on the paintwork.

Bass have a 5-Piece Bolt-on Neck with a very nice Pao-Ferro Fretboard
Swamp Ash Body with a like new red Paintwork, no deep scratches.
You ca see the nice Wood from the Body, see Pictures for that.
Two Bart Soapbars with an Aguilar OBP3 and active/Passive Switch.

Stringspacing at the Bridge is 17.5mm, that are the "old" Tobias dimensions
and is the reason i will sell this bass after more than 20 Years. for me it better works with 19mm ;-)

i have an older soundfile here [media]http://www.cogrun.com/music/volkerg_tobias_k5.mp3[/media]
For further Pictures pls check
[url="https://picasaweb.google.com/brummpa67/TobiasKillerB5?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJS4upuvgMHKYQ&feat=directlink"]https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink[/url]

Bass is locateted in Germany, so please excuse my poor english

regards

Price [s]1.400 Euros[/s]
[b]dropped to 1350,- Euro!![/b]

Edited by brummpa

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Darkbass:

I'm also in NY BTW. Maybe you can provide me with some insight. I have a B5 much like the one pictured here. Serial 3401 9V electronics. Very often when I have it switched to active I pick up radio. Particularly in midtown. Do you have any ideas? Or who in town might? I do frequently get up around Kingston but I figure I'll hold of on dropping in. Thanks

Edited by slap-pappy

Could be a lot of things. I assume this is a recent phenomena. Did you change anything recently on the bass. I don't check in often to bass chat. I spend most of my time on talk bass. Are you on there? I only came on today looking to purchase a Killer B5 .... coincidence??
Is your battery fresh? The circuit is near 20 years old, it may be failing.

Thanks for the feedback. Haven't been on talk bass. mostly stopped here because of the picture. No it's not recent but only shows up in radio heavy areas (like midtown) (threw the sound guy at BB Kings) One last thing I'm considering is that maybe the ground wire attachment to the bridge is worn thin and has become something of an antenna, sort of like an old crystal radio. That would require bridge removal. Would you think that's a dyi or would reattachment be tricky? Otherwise I have to look into electronics replacement.