Why become a member? ×

I just want a simple 5 string bass...

jimcroisdale

[quote name='davebass66' timestamp='1396381696' post='2413015']
Lakland BG5 if you can find one over here, great basses! (Skyline as well)
[/quote]

19mm string spacing or I'd have tried to hock mine on this thread already! Cracking basses!

stingray 5h (honeyburst if you ask me) are great basses, but what really surprised me was the Ibanez sr 1605. Never considered myself an Ibanez fan, but that thing sounds ridonculous! I very nearly bought the 4 string version, but the finish to the neck and ash body on my 4hh ended up winning.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1396704125' post='2416591']
what really surprised me was the Ibanez sr 1605. Never considered myself an Ibanez fan, but that thing sounds ridonculous! .
[/quote]
That is because they are ridonculously good instruments.....it is however unhip to say so therefore I will now shut my face.

Why is it unhip? I suppose I'm more the type who likes a bit of tonal variety, but if I decide that the only tone I'll need is a 'ray then I'd get the 5h for the extra string. Tried the am deluxe jazz v - I like fenders but didn't like that at all. Looks and feel beautiful, but the passive tone is poor and I wasn't blown away by the active circuit. Haven't tried a G&L 5 string but would be severely tempted. I get the impression the 1605 would be epic for metal. The ONLY thing didn't like was the matte finish to the body, but everything else was spot on!

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1396707537' post='2416628']
Why is it unhip? I suppose I'm more the type who likes a bit of tonal variety, but if I decide that the only tone I'll need is a 'ray then I'd get the 5h for the extra string. Tried the am deluxe jazz v - I like fenders but didn't like that at all. Looks and feel beautiful, but the passive tone is poor and I wasn't blown away by the active circuit. Haven't tried a G&L 5 string but would be severely tempted. I get the impression the 1605 would be epic for metal. The ONLY thing didn't like was the matte finish to the body, but everything else was spot on!
[/quote]
I was just joking about the unhip thing - the Ibanez's are however flying in the face of the current Fender trend that has gripped the bass nation....

My SR1205 has been my gigging weapon of choice for the last two years and it has been a revelation....and I used to play Alembic and Wal basses. It is good for any type of music, is ergonomic, light, tactile and sounds awesome. It's hard to beat for value for money.

I fancied a 5 stringer too so I have recently purchased a “Sterling by Music Man Sub Ray 5” from Thomann for less than £300.

Straight out the the box it was pretty amazing but, as I prefer flat wounds, I restrung it with Thomastics (expensive but worth it) and then re set it up.

All I can say it is amazing. It haves a great range on tones/sounds from picking happy slappy to low low grunty. It is much easier to play up the top end of the neck than my Fenders. I can't put it down.

The build quality is also top notch with flawless construction and a great finish

The only slight negative is that it is a bit neck heavy so you can't just let it hang from a strap round your neck, you need to support the neck with your left hand. Having said that, it is not particullarly heavy.

Overall, it is exceptionally good value for money and I'd say musically on a par with instruments costing up to ten times as much.

Edited by ojwethorns

[quote name='jimcroisdale' timestamp='1397557149' post='2425038']
I hear ya! I just picked up a USA S.U.B. 5 string for £250 (used of course) and it's awesome.... :-)
[/quote]A rare find at a fabulous price, congrats these are great basses.

[quote name='jimcroisdale' timestamp='1396355191' post='2412578']
Hey all,

I'm on the lookout for a new 5 string. I like my guitars to be super simple - I'm happy to sacrifice flexibility for this, no probs. Gimme one pickup and a volume knob and I'm happy, but they just don't seem to make quality basses this way.

I like 17mm string spacing, but apart from that I'm open to suggestions.

I like Stingrays.

I like Warwicks

Not a Fender fan.

Any ideas? :-)

Jim
[/quote]

Now I normally speak against ibanez but in hindsight, they had some of the best 5 string basses I've played on a budget.
It was only until I wanted a passive 5 string, they lacked in tone and necks were more like baseball bats to the usual flat necks :)
Now, I'm tempted to go back and try them again :)

[quote name='Bloc Riff Nut' timestamp='1397620900' post='2425706']
It's already been said, get one of these. I've had this about six months now and it's great. Good balance, easy to play (asymmetric neck, zero radius(flat) fretboard) and simple controls. Vol,pickup selector and tone.[/quote]

Can't speak for the 5ers, but all this applies to ACG four string basses.