Why become a member? ×

April Composition Challenge - GET YOUR FUNK ON!

Skol303

Great to see that there might be some more 'authentic' bass playing in this months comp - I'm not a bass player but am a fan of the bass guitar.

With the suggestion towards the HUGE subject of funk/70's/p-funk/disco/soul/jazz - I am sure it is gonna be a great comp!

[quote name='Penfeld' timestamp='1396534038' post='2414781']
Great to see that there might be some more 'authentic' bass playing in this months comp - I'm not a bass player but am a fan of the bass guitar.

With the suggestion towards the HUGE subject of funk/70's/p-funk/disco/soul/jazz - I am sure it is gonna be a great comp!
[/quote]

Well..............There has been some of the Funkiest Bass Lines blowing out the bottom of peoples Hi-Fi's,
played on...Er.......
Bass Synth/Keyboards.
:)

If it's played on a 34" Bass spoon and Funky, It's all welcome.
And that really would be a challenge.

Good evening, all...

Here, then, is my offering inspired by this month's pic...

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/find-your-destiny"]Find Your Destiny...[/url]

No bass spoons were hurt in the making of this track. 'Authentic'..? Dunno what you mean, mate. I'm basically a drummer. :mellow:

Enjoy...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1396545889' post='2414973']

Enjoy...
[/quote]

... That's exactly what I did! It took me a little while to settle into the feel of it, but once there, I loved it. Further comments on SC. Well done. I can't believe how quickly you pulled that together!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1396552233' post='2415088']...Further comments on SC. Well done...[/quote]

Many thanks for the kind comments. Glad you 'Doug' the groove..!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1396552233' post='2415088']...I can't believe how quickly you pulled that together![/quote]

Quality, son, quality. I reckon that with a tad less modesty, I'd be perfect..! :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='Penfeld' timestamp='1396534038' post='2414781']

[/quote]

Hi Penfeld. Welcome to Basschat!

We like all sorts of bass here... so long as it's low end and trouser-flapping, it's good with us :D

Don't worry that you're not a bass player. Do you play any other instruments? If so, there might opportunity for you to collaborate with people here on making music for these monthly challenges.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm a drummer wishing he had the skills to learn a stringed instrument!

If anyone is interested and uses Spotify - there is a great playlist devoted to Bass players I saw - I think it was called 'Bottoms up' - great mix of styles!

[quote name='Penfeld' timestamp='1396620343' post='2415761']
Hi Paul

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm a drummer wishing he had the skills to learn a stringed instrument!

If anyone is interested and uses Spotify - there is a great playlist devoted to Bass players I saw - I think it was called 'Bottoms up' - great mix of styles!
[/quote]

No probs and don't worry about being a drummer... we all have our crosses to bear! :D

I'm sure your skills would be in demand by people here. Live drums are always a good thing in any recording.

Cheers for the heads up about that Spotify playlist. I'll check that out.

[quote name='Penfeld' timestamp='1396620343' post='2415761']...I'm a drummer wishing he had the skills to learn a stringed instrument!...[/quote]

Yo, colleague..! If you've mastered your rudiments at the drums, you've already acquired pretty well most of the 'skills' required..! Reading for drums is an excellent entry point for solfege, and the mechanics of playing at least basic bass are not that difficult; even I manage it..!
This is not specifically a 'players' corner, though, as the accent is really on the composition, rather than virtuoso performance. There's no exclusivity, and if you go through some (many..? most..?) of the previous month's challenges, you'll see that there is a wide display of both technical playing skills and imaginative composition. Anyone can add their spice to this, and great fun it is too. Give it a bash, maybe..?

Kind of written (well written might be stretching it, it does contain a lot of samples) something and recorded it. I intended it to be slow dark funk but sounds more Rap/hip hop. So it would need that kind of vocal which is beyond me. Don't really know anyone to do it maybe the singer in my band who is into all that. But she's would be to busy. It would be boring to turn it into an instrumental. So prob gonna have to leave it.

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1397046324' post='2420046']
Kind of written (well written might be stretching it, it does contain a lot of samples) something and recorded it. I intended it to be slow dark funk but sounds more Rap/hip hop. So it would need that kind of vocal which is beyond me. Don't really know anyone to do it maybe the singer in my band who is into all that. But she's would be to busy. It would be boring to turn it into an instrumental. So prob gonna have to leave it.
[/quote]

That'd be a shame. Don't let the absence of a vocal put you off from entering. If you have something recorded then go for it!

I'm approaching this month from a similar angle myself. I haven't tried to capture what people hear as being the 'classic' funk vibe because:

1) I didn't want to to create a pastiche of the 60/70s and...

2) I don't have the playing skills to pull off a convincing slap bassline - instead my slapping tends to sound like I've just thrown my bass down a flight of stairs and recorded the results :D [i](now there's an idea for some field recording...).[/i]

So I've started writing something slower and darker. In fact I've started to wonder about where the boundaries between funk and 'sister' genres like soul, hip hop and R'n'B really lie (no bad thing, of course). My track is definitely taking a more R'n'B/hip hop route, but that's just because of my own influences.

I'm also in the process of transforming a copyright-free female vocal into something that sounds like Gnarls Barkley, through a process I'm now calling 'Transgenderfication' (Patent pending) :blink: Don't ask.

Anyway, it's proving to be a lot of fun so far :)

I have to say my research has concluded that pretty much most genres could be funked up , and thus be eligible for the photo , so I may head back down the country funk route , or dire death metal funk , though the Jasper Carrott Vs Paul Nicholas vibe is getting hard to leave alone . decisions, decisions B)

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1397578784' post='2425355']
I have always found funk to be present in all genres of music so competition seems wide open to me !
looking forward to it :)
[/quote]

Welcome Tim! Don't be a stranger... if you ever fancy rolling up your sleeves and having a go at the monthly challenge then dive right in, the water is... err... funky!? Actually that sounds quite unappealing in that context. But you get what I mean :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1397640785' post='2425864']
Welcome Tim! Don't be a stranger... if you ever fancy rolling up your sleeves and having a go at the monthly challenge then dive right in, the water is... err... funky!? Actually that sounds quite unappealing in that context. But you get what I mean :D
[/quote] cheers skol I intend to give it a go :)

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/13049/applause.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Well it's certainly an original twist on the topic..! I had to listen very carefully to pick out the meaning through the thick (milk-shaken...) accent. I ended up grinning, though; I hope that was the intention... :)

I did try and pick the vocal out for you this time :blush: , but yes, a smile is good in response , many thanks :D

ed to add , I will be off to hear yours as soon as lurksalittle lets me get near the computer with a headphone that works !!

Edited by lurksalot