Why become a member? ×

Fender Super Bassman 300

rodl2005

Hi guys, I've not checked in here for ages.
I've got the Super Bassman 300 and is just a stellar amp. So lush & tubey.
I read a few threads where some state that there's just no need to use heavy valve amps these days. Well, I've not heard anything but a 300w all tube amp with 6550's sound as fantastic as this amp.

I was gonna get A SVT-VR but the Fender was lots cheaper (here in Australia) so after many recommendations I took a punt.
This will totally cop the thick lush VR tone + So much more with its 2nd channel & blendable drive.
Just a beautiful amp that, I think, will become a classic.

Anyone else using one, or has used one, on here?
[URL=http://s407.photobucket.com/user/rodl2005/media/My%20stuff/2013-04-07104813_zps917d2661.jpg.html][IMG]http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/rodl2005/My%20stuff/2013-04-07104813_zps917d2661.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s407.photobucket.com/user/rodl2005/media/My%20stuff/20131012_162339_zpsebaf4e4f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/rodl2005/My%20stuff/20131012_162339_zpsebaf4e4f.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s407.photobucket.com/user/rodl2005/media/My%20stuff/20131005_212313_zps60b5eb88.jpg.html][IMG]http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/rodl2005/My%20stuff/20131005_212313_zps60b5eb88.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by rodl2005

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1396480639' post='2414279']
The sweetest sounding amps I have had the pleasure to play have been Fender Bassmans. I don't own one though, to my shame! :lol:
[/quote]

Best recorded sound I`ve ever had was through one, really like Fender bass amps.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1396531587' post='2414728']

Best recorded sound I`ve ever had was through one, really like Fender bass amps.
[/quote]

Me too and the engineer felt it was best bass sound he'd ever got too....Bassman135...and I nearly sold it recently; thankfully I didn't sell it.

[quote name='mxm' timestamp='1396789876' post='2417303']
Not got the 300, I use the 100T - brilliant amps and not nearly as back breaking as my old Ampegs !
[/quote]

What's the 100T like, volume-wise?
I'm interested in one of these Bassmans and the 100w version is lighter than the 300w, which is a big plus. Just a bit concerned about the volume.

100W valve amp should be plenty for most gigging situations as long as you have enough speakers. I think it hits the sweet spot where it's plenty loud enough to play a small/medium venue, then anywhere that needs you to go louder will have PA support anyway.

I played my 200W Orange head with a 2x12 in a club and an outdoor stage and barely had it ticking over, I would've preferred a 100W jobbie to get a bit more growl out of the power valves at the same volume.

I predict either one of these 100W Fenders or an Ashdown CTM100 in my future at some point!

The 100T is plenty loud for my own uses, usually medium venues/large pubs up against guitarists 100w Marshall. I'm using 2 2x10s.

Not had to crank it right up so far - beauty of the 100w is the ability to get the tone you want before deafening yourself.

Unfortunately most blokes in the UK have no muscles and whinge continuously so have to have class D amps that are lighter than but sound worse than tea bags. We're the second most obese nation on earth and need nano technology to help us overcome our denial. Good to see our Southern Hemisphere cousins loving and embracing the valvey goodness, even if it is American-made. I'm a proud owner of a Mesa 400+ and have a Brit 4 x KT88 monster on the way and I had the transformers made extra heavy not to sound better but to upset weaklings and sanctimonious w£&@ers :-)

Edited by Sean

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1397594767' post='2425578']
Unfortunately most blokes in the UK have no muscles and whinge continuously so have to have class D amps that are lighter than but sound worse than tea bags. We're the second most obese nation on earth and need nano technology to help us overcome our denial. Good to see our Southern Hemisphere cousins loving and embracing the valvey goodness, even if it is American-made. I'm a proud owner of a Mesa 400+ and have a Brit 4 x KT88 monster on the way and I had the transformers made extra heavy not to sound better but to upset weaklings and sanctimonious w£&@ers :-)
[/quote]Ha ha, gear has always been heavy and I don't expect it to be any other way :-)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1397594767' post='2425578']
[/quote]

Amen brother.