Why become a member? ×

Modulus Flea - Prices now going up?

Chiliwailer

I just saw a Modulus Flea sell for $4000 on eBay USA this morning, that's £2400! Ok, it had the Lane Poor pickup and the Flea logo on the head, but $4000????

I'm wondering if this is a one off or if the prices have now finally gone up due to Modulus being bankrupt? Time will tell.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modulus-Flea-Bass-4-String-Lane-Poor-Pickups-/161259924287

It's Wal syndrome. Builder shuts down, snob value of instruments goes up, especially when name players use them (Flea's apparently gone back to his Moduli).

The Flea Basses are bloody good instruments though. Tried a 5-string with MM/J pickups a couple of years back and it was spectacular.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1396521122' post='2414543']
It's Wal syndrome. Builder shuts down, snob value of instruments goes up, especially when name players use them (Flea's apparently gone back to his Moduli).

The Flea Basses are bloody good instruments though. Tried a 5-string with MM/J pickups a couple of years back and it was spectacular.
[/quote]

no, it's business.

supply disappears so all the people who would otherwise buy new are forced to compete for existing instruments.

A friend of mine has been trying to buy my one off me recently, he offered me £2500 but I'm not going to part with it, they are very cool basses if you like what they do and mines a sure fire keeper.

He's now found 2 x New Old Stock ones in the States, the new price went up to $4000 before they went bust, depending on spec. http://www.basscentral.com/modulus/fleabass.shtml

I can't wait until he gets them shipped, be great to see some more over here.

Edited by Chiliwailer

The recent models weren't a patch on the old ones, I bought one new in 2009 and whilst it was an OK and well engineered bass, it didn't have the sonic mojo that may late 90's version had (or my Sonic Hammer for that matter). I certainly wouldn't pay more than £1000 for one new, and given the simplicity of the instrument - Modulus used widely available components from other manufacturers (Aguilar/Bartolini/Badass), and pretty similar standard aftermarket graphite necks are available from the likes of Status - you can put together a pretty good Flea-alike for less than the cost of a standard Fender

Still, if you've got one in good nick, it ain't go to go down in value :)

Love Modulus basses. Quite different instruments to other graphite-necked beasts like Statii, Zons, etc.

I'd say there's a gap in the market for similar graphite-necked basses, except there probably isn't much of one - if there was, then Modulus probably wouldn't have gone bust. As Beedster says though, you could put together a reasonably authentic Flea Bass with Status/Moses and Warmoth parts, especially now that you can get Lane Poor pickups again (albeit not made by Lane). I'd love to try it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The market here in the US has bumped significantly. I have been buying good Modulus basses for the past several years, and I can report less than 5 original Flea basses equipped with factory Modulus-spec Lane Poors to come across my radar. I was lucky enough to recently score an excellent 1996 example of the Flea 4 with a LP, all of the earliest features and a rare Satin Black finish and, thank goodness, an arrow straight neck! It was well below $2000US It is an awesome bass!
I really love the Quantum basses, and prefer the pre-trussrod neck profile, but, again, be careful with warpage, particularly on the Q4s.
Prices on the Quantums have escalated as well, with excellent newer truss-rod equipped examples (most prefer these) selling in the $2000 and up range, 40% higher than just a couple of years ago. Fortunately for me, the earlier ones can still be picked up here and there in the $1500ish range, depending on a bunch of variables.
Lagging behind are the other Modulus models, the Genesis, VJs, Vertex, and super-early ones...for now.
FYI, Geoff Gould, the originator of the design, left the company in 94 and is building this style of bass today. They aren't cheap, I have never tried one, but they appear to me to be awesome instruments and carry the graphite-neck torch forward in a most authentic manner.
Can't post pics from work, otherwise I would.

Edited by hidesert

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1398848046' post='2438118']
Simple supply and demand.

No more or less stupid than the Akai / Klon pedal prices.
[/quote]
+1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvsQjprz1x4

Edited by icastle
Links fixed.

• 2 months later...

love mine! will never be sold! its sadly out of action at the min, has had a electrical problem that i havent had a chance to sort.

mine cost me 1800 new so that price isnt to insane if anything they are probs going back up to nearly new price, as i saw one go for 900 last year, for me they were in trouble after they lost flea, however he was the reason i got mine.

i have played a few basses that are double the mody and they dnt come close. which is even more of a plus for my squier vm 5er as that does actually keep up with it!

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1407083718' post='2517148']
love mine! will never be sold!
[/quote]

+1 The amount of the fun this bass can give is insane, as is the tone. Plus, it's one of the basses that is very hard, if not impossible, to copy and retain the vibe and quality. When playing along to the Californication or By The Way albums there is just no substitute!