Why become a member? ×

Optima Golds?

ape

Hi All, this is a bit of an odd one but here goes, I'm rebuilding my old bass and considering gold hardware and optima gold strings would very much suit my OCD.

However I purchased a set a while ago for my Warwick (now sold) and to be honest they completely killed the sound I very much lost most of the top end. I did to be honest by a thicker gauge than I usually go for though they are for a different bass, so just thought I'd ask has anybody else had experiences with them and how did you find them? Just curious to if it was my choice in gauge or that the strings just arn't that great.

Peoples opinions would be really appreciated as I love the look of them but don't want to waste money on another set as they ain't cheap.

Thanks,

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Optima golds were the only strings I bought for a few years. Loved them on my MIM Jazz and also the US Jazz. I still wouldn't have any other string on the Jazz just because they sound and play really good to me.

But..... I stuck some on the Corvette, and it has absolutely killed it. Sounds terrible, and for some reason I cant get a good setup on the bass with them. Only thing that sounds good on the Warwick to me is Warwick EMPs.

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1397735233' post='2426911']
Optima golds were the only strings I bought for a few years. Loved them on my MIM Jazz and also the US Jazz. I still wouldn't have any other string on the Jazz just because they sound and play really good to me.

But..... I stuck some on the Corvette, and it has absolutely killed it. Sounds terrible, and for some reason I cant get a good setup on the bass with them. Only thing that sounds good on the Warwick to me is Warwick EMPs.
[/quote]

Cheers that's a great help, at least I know they can sound good, means a bit of a gamble though with what they will sound like on the Ibanez, only one way to find out I guess

• 11 months later...

Damn. My eyes were goggling at the shinyness of gold strings. They're available cheaply on ebay as single strings, and I thought of buying one to try.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxima-Optima-Gold-Single-String-for-Bass-Guitar-Gauge-090-Brand-New-/181303050429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a368100bd"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a368100bd[/url]

Reviews are mixed. But £3 for a single string including p&p is not going to break the bank ... decisions decisions.

Edited by Annoying Twit

I had a set on my Aria Pro II CSB 'Black n Gold' and they looked absolutely brilliant. Unfortunately I didn't like to tone of the bass and moved it on before the strings had a chance to bed down properly.

• 2 weeks later...

I used them on my gold sparkle Warmoth '54 Precision and they suited that bass very well but I was buying them from Thomann when they were £16 a set and not the £40+ they are now. This was only 4-5 years ago so I actually wonder if it was a mistake on the website or if they were actually that cheap then.

I only stopped using them after playing a very humid sweaty gig with a brand new set - by the time the gig ended they were dead and the price had shot up to what it is now