Why become a member? ×

Strings

Hey

On tour recently I had to hire a few different Upright basses, and noticed an incredible difference in the tone and playability depending on the strings the basses were set up with.

I am interested in discovering which strings you guys use, and what are the benefits/disadvantages that come with each type.

I'd also like someone to recommend to me a string selection that come in 5 strings and are light.

Hi Graham,

What type of music do play, what volume, what's your bass sound like generally, what pickup do you use and how do you want to sound? Sorry for all the questions but there are so many different strings out there, all with very different characteristics. 5 strings sets are more difficult to choose because there's so much pressure on the belly of the instrument and that chokes the sound. Look into getting solo gauge strings and tune them down a tone, a lot of players do this and it gets rid of a lot of the tension.

I'm using a full set of Pirastro original flat-chromes on my Tarrantino for orchestral playing, they're heavy gauge, very dark sounding strings. I wouldn't recommend them for 5 string though, you'd have tendonitus in a week. I've got some Pirastro obligatos on my other bass for pizz playing. They're light gauge, lot's of sustain but too bright for my liking on that bass.

Chris

Edited by chrkelly

Guest Jecklin

As Chris said the music you play will have a large impact on your string choice, I haven't played a 5 string but use basses with extensions.
I don't use stage amplification (so no pickup), so i can only offer slim info'.

Depending on the bass I either use spirocores medium gauge, or superflexibles (my current bass is superflex' G, D, A and spiro' extended D)

I've used a few other strings, but all presented some trade off. for example I loved jargar strings, but gave up on them as their pizz was just a bit lacking. fantastic under the bow though!
In the end I just decided to stick with Thomastik and never really worry abou it.

I play an equal mix of arco and pizz.

Spiro' light (weich) strings might be good on a 5 set depending on your bass and what type of music you're into.

Thomas

When I was first learning to play upright, my teacher recommended Piratstros (It was what she used) to replace the knackered old no-name strings that were on my bass when I bought it.
Well I tried them and absolutely hated them, too flat and dark for me although they sounded great on her bass.

I now use Corellis and they give me everything I want in terms of sound and ease of playing. They don't bow that well but then the mixture of blues, jazz and contemporary music I play rarely demands arco. and the Corelli pizz sound, especially when amplified is rich, growly with a nice thump to it. Plus they're fairly low tension so they're easy to play.

As the other posters have said, to a large part, the music defines the sound you want, and hence the strings you use.

Hope that helps.

Mike E.

www.pbase.com/bassworm

I have Dominants on my double bass. They have a nice dry airy sound and are a bit more organic than Spirocores... on that bass. On my NS electric upright, the Spiros work better.

Also, whatever strings you try, I suggest you give them chance to settle in. Some, like the Spiros, seem to take at least a couple of weeks to stop sounding twangy.

Although I love d'addarios for electric bass, I was really disappointed with the Helicore hybrid on DB. They sounded great initially (although not the easiest arco) but "died" fairly quickly.

I replaced them with Corellis based on Bob Gollihur's website recommendation. They're light and easy on the hands - I agree with Bassworms comments about playability. I don't find them bassy or "rich and growly" though. Perhaps Bassworm's pickup, amp or set-up is better than mine! They'll do for now, but I won't be buying more!

[quote name='guyl' post='239084' date='Jul 14 2008, 12:38 PM']Although I love d'addarios for electric bass, I was really disappointed with the Helicore hybrid on DB. They sounded great initially (although not the easiest arco) but "died" fairly quickly.

I replaced them with Corellis based on Bob Gollihur's website recommendation. They're light and easy on the hands - I agree with Bassworms comments about playability. I don't find them bassy or "rich and growly" though. Perhaps Bassworm's pickup, amp or set-up is better than mine! They'll do for now, but I won't be buying more![/quote]

I too tried the Corellis based on Bob Gollihur's website (A great resource). They did take a little while to settle down and 'bed in' but they now make a really pleasing racket, especially the A and D strings. As for my set up, all I've got is an old no-name pickup on the bridge, played through a Sansamp Bass Driver into a little GK combo (with the eq flat), but whether amplified or not, I'm dead pleased with the resulting sound.

Cheers All,
Mike E.

What an interesting read this thread is, and could save us hundreds trying strings we don't like.
I have used spiros for years and always thought they stood up well for pizz and arco (more for pizz) I then got a set of rope core 'Ray Brown' strings they were good but a little lacking in thump. Upon recommendation of a fellow player I am now trying Innovation silver slap and find them a good, pleasing percussive and full sounding string, up to a point. I find that If I really dig in they can choke a little, but I suppose it's no bad thing to have need to stay within certain parameters of effort where technique is concerned. They are also a relatively large diameter, although I got used to that quite quickly.
Thanks guys very informative.
Jake

Great topic guys!

What strings are people using on their EUBs?

The ones that came with my Aria have a bit too much sustain for my liking so I'd like to replace them with something a bit more thumpy and damped.

I'm thinking Helicore Hybrids at the moment but people's comment about Corellis are interesting. Has anyone had experience with both?