Why become a member? ×

Power Supply Query

Papabull

• 6 months later...

To take this query a little further:

The line 6 power supply has a plastic lump between the transformer and the tip. Does anyone know what this is?

Main reason for asking is that I'm planning my new pedal board and looking at potential power supply options and didn't know if losing this plastic lump might cause issues?

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1413833958' post='2582605']
To take this query a little further:

The line 6 power supply has a plastic lump between the transformer and the tip. Does anyone know what this is?

Main reason for asking is that I'm planning my new pedal board and looking at potential power supply options and didn't know if losing this plastic lump might cause issues?
[/quote]

It's most likely a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead"]ferrite bead[/url] to block high frequency noise entering your pedal via the power supply.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1413834170' post='2582610']

It's most likely a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead"]ferrite bead[/url] to block high frequency noise entering your pedal via the power supply.
[/quote]

That seems more than logical. I did wonder if it was some form of noise suppressor as I remember helping my dad fit something similar on an old car to prevent the alternator from interfering with the radio.

With my rudimentary understanding of such things; if I place the new power supply as close as possible to the G50 receiver and keep the power cable as short as possible then I should notice no detrimental effects?

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1413836814' post='2582657']
With my rudimentary understanding of such things; if I place the new power supply as close as possible to the G50 receiver and keep the power cable as short as possible then I should notice no detrimental effects?
[/quote]

Short cables help, and you can wind the power cable through a ferrite choke like this

to help supress noise. They're not as good as the wired-in type, but they will help somewhat.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1413836814' post='2582657']
[/quote]

Switching PSUs can cause noise through conduction down the cable (which the ferrite filter should reduce) or by radiation through the air (which the filter won't affect), so placing the PSU as close as possible to other devices might actually increase any interference problems.

It's not easy to predict the effects of such things because it can depend on the amount of interference generated by one device and the susceptibility to that interference by another device. This sort of thing all comes under the general heading of 'EMC' (Electro Magnetic Compatibility) and there are various international standards to limit both the emission of such interference and the susceptibility to it - the basic idea being that devices should emit less interference than they are susceptible to, so that everything is compatible. It mostly works, but not always.

The fact that the PSU has a ferrite filter suggests that it would fail the conducted emissions test without it, but that doesn't automatically mean it will cause a problem when it is removed because that will depend on the device it is powering.

In short, the only way to be certain is to try it and see what happens.