Why become a member? ×

Does everyone erm ....know their scales?

gub

In a word: no!

Well... I'm discovering that I know some scales because they sound right, but not because I know they are scales.

I get the basic major/minor but not much beyond that. Although I do understand their usefulness and have set myself the goal of learning more.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1396563145' post='2415262']
In a word: no!

Well... I'm discovering that I know some scales because they sound right, but not because I know they are scales.

I get the basic major/minor but not much beyond that. Although I do understand their usefulness and have set myself the goal of learning more.
[/quote]

That's what happened to me. A couple of years ago I finally decided to sit down and actually learn scales and theory properly. It turns out I'd already figured most of it out just based on what sounded good.

I certainly don't know them all. I started practising scales regularly when I started learning the double bass (so I suppose I went 15+ years without practising them at all) but to be honest I get more familiar with them while I'm playing with other people. Especially with crap guitarists - I recommend everybody join a band with a crap guitarist so you'll be forced to make the entertaining stuff happen. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1396570432' post='2415331']
I'm physically repulsive so I learnt the Enigmatic scale so I could pull chicks.

Save your money; it doesn't work.
[/quote]

Are you certain of that..? (... [i]taps side of nose enigmatically[/i]...).

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1396570432' post='2415331']
I'm physically repulsive so I learnt the Enigmatic scale so I could pull chicks.

Save your money; it doesn't work.
[/quote]

I suspect the problem might be, referring to the fairer sex as chicks. It's just not very groovy Skank :D

I'd love to be one of those players that just instinctively plays the right notes without knowing anything about the underlying theory, just jamming along to stuff and naturally playing nice flowing basslines in the correct key...

Unfortunatly i am just not that naturally talented... Knowing my scales, modes, diatonic theory etc. has given a non natural like me the chance to write interesting basslines and hold my own with some great musicians over the years. Theory has given me the chance to play and compose material I would never have just been able to invent out of nothing. It's also given me the confidence at a jam that I can get up and play any style, even if I've never heard it... tell me the key sig and I'm off.

Scales work for me :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1396599967' post='2415459']
I'd love to be one of those players that just instinctively plays the right notes without knowing anything about the underlying theory, just jamming along to stuff and naturally playing nice flowing basslines in the correct key...

Unfortunatly i am just not that naturally talented... Knowing my scales, modes, diatonic theory etc. has given a non natural like me the chance to write interesting basslines and hold my own with some great musicians over the years. Theory has given me the chance to play and compose material I would never have just been able to invent out of nothing. It's also given me the confidence at a jam that I can get up and play any style, even if I've never heard it... tell me the key sig and I'm off.

Scales work for me :)
[/quote]

Good post ! :)

What exactly do people mean when they say they [i]know[/i] their scales ? For most, it means being able to play from root to root all over the neck at a million MPH. While this is not a bad thing it is not the full story.

Really knowing scales means being aware of how chord tones are made from them and why some chords are minor, some major, and some diminished. It also involves knowing how to harmonise the scale.

NOW !.....how many people know their scales ? :P

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='achknalligewelt' timestamp='1396600591' post='2415475']
I admire scales-y people. I go by ear, and so although I reckon I hit it right about 95% of the time, I admit, sometimes I lack that [i]perfect[/i] note that those with better theory can manage.
[/quote]

Playing by ear is a great asset to have. However IMO, without some basic theory, it is similar to being able to speak the English language, but not able to read a book or magazine.

Edited by Coilte