Why become a member? ×

advantages of being a lefty

PaulWarning

Ok we're always hearing about how hard it is to get lefty basses, but are their any advantages? I can only think of two, makes the band look very symmetrical, assuming 1 right handed guitarist of course, and there's less chance of the singer being smashed round the ear with a headstock on a small stage, but I'm not sure whether that's an advantage or a disadvantage :lol:

Edited by PaulWarning

Not on bass, but on drums, I can see a very serious advantage for me: I play much better that way..! It also helps when having to decide on a shared stage whose kit to use. I use mine; end of story. I can share, by swapping floor tom and hi-hats, but most drummers would prefer to swap out the whole kit. I can't remember the last time I had to play on another kit than my own..!
Downsides..? Yes, there are a few; mainly the limited choice of double bass drum pedals. I've even been lucky there, too, though, as our eldest plays drums lefty too (despite being 'normal' :P ), and bought a fine Pearl double lefty which I share. I do have others (a rare Camco and an ancient DW...), but had to scour the world to track them down.
Just my tuppence-worth.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1396620108' post='2415758']
Not on bass, but on drums, I can see a very serious advantage for me: I play much better that way..! It also helps when having to decide on a shared stage whose kit to use. I use mine; end of story. I can share, by swapping floor tom and hi-hats, but most drummers would prefer to swap out the whole kit. I can't remember the last time I had to play on another kit than my own..!
Downsides..? Yes, there are a few; mainly the limited choice of double bass drum pedals. I've even been lucky there, too, though, as our eldest plays drums lefty too (despite being 'normal' :P ), and bought a fine Pearl double lefty which I share. I do have others (a rare Camco and an ancient DW...), but had to scour the world to track them down.
Just my tuppence-worth.
[/quote]
Funnily enough, I play a bit of drums and have no trouble playing right handed

Im a lefty who plays with the strings in reverse order, ( i.e. upside down ) so my advantage is I can try out any right-hand instrument ( to some extent at least ) by flipping it over and get an idea of tone, playability, neck-profile etc. Only downside is that lefty versions of many models are never made.

[attachment=159449:doghouse.jpg]

The on stage symmetry ( certainly for a 3 piece ) is nice, one advantage I've found is getting some bargains. Frequently found an unloved dust covered L/H bass hanging up in music shops that they're happy to bang out nice and cheap just to get rid of it.

Edited by Spike Vincent

Almost every LH player can make some kind of meaningful noise on a RH instrument, because we have more opportunity to play them. Righty players on the other hand, rarely get a chance to practice on a left-hand guitar or bass. Consequently, as Nodd suggests, we look a lot more competent playing the "wrong" way.

I remember very well being at a jam party, and picking up the RH bass of a guy I knew, and being able to play a simple enough pattern to join in with the band while he went to refill his drink. The look on his face as he walked back into the room to see me not only playing his bass upside down and backwards, but playing it well (enough) was priceless.

I've had right-handed friends pick up my bass, and the best they can manage is a few notes.before shaking their head and putting the bass back on the stand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1398770665' post='2437365']
Having to think clearly what bass to buy rather than being overwhelmed with options.
[/quote]I agree with that. With all the choice of right handed basses, i reckon it will be too easy to buy the wrong one. Plus i reckon it has saved me loads of money. It is a pain though, as i really want an Epiphone Jack Casady

Edited by timmo

• 4 months later...

I love being left handed! Stops drunks wanting a go on bass. Well it did until a guy came up to me and requested I play some Grandmaster Flash tune which of course I hadn't heard of. 'Sorry mate nae idea', 'thats OK says dude I'll play it'. 'Its a left handed bass pal!' 'Thats ok I can play it upside down', 'hands bass over crack on!' I went to the bar and listened to the unfolding disaster that was 'The Message' It was hooring funny!!!! I have been to a jam night just to listen and been dragged up to play some AC/DC on a right hander, managed to play not too bad. Managed to do 'She Sells Santuary' playing right handed as well just to see if I could do it, that messed with their heads LOL.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1396698655' post='2416524']
Bit of an obvious one really, but in my gigging days it was nice not to have to invent excuses to prevent inebriated punters getting their grubby mitts on my livelihood. :unsure:
[/quote]

YES!!!!! Have heard many a story of musicians crying as a massive biker wrecks their gear...!

Also there's growing your hair long and "being" Paul McCartney if that floats your boat.

Not musical but I recall reading an article, in the economist I think (christ I was bored!), that suggested lefties have the advantage throwing the first punch as people expect it to be delivered with the other hand. So we're not necessarily more violent but we are more likely to be 'successfully' violent. Go lefties! ��

Edited by Subbeh